Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2023, 04:04 PM

Default 3wt. fly rods=best for the $?

I've had some dandy, light fly rods over the years. I was once obsessed with them, and with the idea of finding one that cast with some authority...but smaller fish are still fun on it. I've owned a couple of Sage 3wts., a T&T 2wt. (8'6") that might have been one of the nicest fly rods I've ever fished with. Owned a Loop 9' 3wt. that was amazing...

Got away from fly fishing for a long time and when I went back, I focussed on mostly streamer/nymph fishing and honestly=bigger fish. Got rid of everything under 4wt. and used the $ for guns/scopes/ammo.

This year=planning a trip with a buddy to explore some small, northern streams and while I'm probably OK with my 8' 4wt. St. Croix Avid (a bit mushy) I'm wondering if a fast-action, 3wt is out there in the $300 range. All I can see that "seems" to be a good option would be the Redington "Vice" model.

If I look at what remains of my fly rods, a couple of Sage, a couple of St. Croix, a Loop. Always like the St. Croix legend Elite but don't think they went below a 4wt. Legend Ultras=always liked those, but always felt that if you close your eyes and cast various weights of those, you wouldn't be able to tell they're from the same manufacturer. (different "feel") In other words, reluctant to even look into a used one of those, and it feels too risky to purchase sight-unseen.

SO!

If you have a 3wt. you love, and especially if you bought in the last couple of years, I'd love to hear what you like about it...how capable is it, what line you've mated it with, etc. Pictures welcome, as is any input on Remington rods. Good reputations, but I've never owned or fished with one.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2023, 05:04 PM

If you are a previous Sage fan, the current Echos are very close to the feel of older Sages.

I've switched to Echos after finding Sages lacking post Z-Axis'.