Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2023, 02:07 PM

Default Servicing high end reels

Hi everyone.
I purchased a nice high end bait caster 2 years ago and I figure it’s time to get it all cleaned up and lubed in the gears. My problem is the arthritis in my hands has taken away a large portion of my dexterity with the fingers.

Who do you think could do this service in the Calgary area? I know of the Reel Doctor in Edmonton, but it’s been years since I been up that way and would like to stay closer to home.

Thanks, Dodger.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:51 PM

I have shipped to the Reel Doctor and it wasn't too expensive. Not worth it for a cheaper reel but a higher end one it is well worth it.
Old 01-14-2023, 03:53 PM

What brand is it?

If it’s a Shimano, it’s well worth the shipping cost to send it to their service centre in Peterborough. It’ll come back better than new, and the fee is very reasonable. I think it was in the neighbourhood of $30 + parts last time I checked.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
What brand is it?

If it’s a Shimano, it’s well worth the shipping cost to send it to their service centre in Peterborough. It’ll come back better than new, and the fee is very reasonable. I think it was in the neighbourhood of $30 + parts last time I checked.
Ya it's a Shimano Metanium. I have trust issues with Canada Post and also the carrier companies. I just don't trust myself to get it back together. Might just have to bite the bullet?? Everything online points to the Reel Doctor or Peterborough.

Dodger.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Ya it's a Shimano Metanium. I have trust issues with Canada Post and also the carrier companies. I just don't trust myself to get it back together. Might just have to bite the bullet?? Everything online points to the Reel Doctor or Peterborough.

Dodger.
I hear ya on Canada Post paranoia.

I have a few reels I want to send for service, including my prized Stella, but I’ve been procrastinating.

I think I’m gonna pull the trigger this week and make sure I beat the spring rush. My experience with them has been stellar, so I think it’s worth the risk. Though I’ll probably pay for the max postal insurance lol.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:14 PM

I've had excellent result with Country Rod Crafting, https://countryrod.com/, on Vancouver Island.
They did a bang up job on my penn level winds. Fast service, very affordable, and a wealth of knowledge when speaking with owner. One man operation, very old school. I have nothing but great things to say about the operation.
Old 01-15-2023, 03:23 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Dodger.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:09 AM

Express Reel Repair in BC - I laugh at Cda Post ... you have to buy insurance to ensure they do their job, it makes no sense