Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-12-2023, 04:53 PM

Default Fresh today

80CrV2 with DymaLux handles.
Going to go with a Kydex sheath for this one. Waiting on supplies

Old 01-12-2023, 05:43 PM

This knife is really nice!

Dymalux is a great material as it is extremally weather proof, and looks great once finished.

Excellent job my friend and thanx for sharing...
Old 01-12-2023, 05:52 PM

Looks great!
Old 01-12-2023, 06:00 PM

Good looking knife CNP, well done.
I agree with Phil, Dymalux makes a very durable handle. Like the way you have the scales tapered to the front, will fit nice in the hand.
Old 01-13-2023, 06:27 AM

Default Cnp

Hey CNP.

This is what I use to polish Dymalux and assorted Acrylics. Works on wood also. Excellent results! Lee Valley sells the kit (including attachment for your grinder) for around 130 bucks.
FYI...

Old 01-14-2023, 07:25 AM

I like my CRKT knife and they also have a huge selection of of all types and sizes.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:48 AM
Banned

Check out Grohmann Knives of Nova Scotia. I don't think you can beat a #1 or a #4. They are an adaptation of the centuries-old roach-belly design that was preferred by fur traders and mountainmen whose lives depended on their knives and who subjected designs to the ultimate in field-testing. And they're Canadian made.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:26 PM

Default Hunter styled hatched today

A smaller of a magnum version I made earlier this week. 1084 carbon steel, 9 7/8" OAL. Blade 5 1/8" Acid etched and stone washed. G10 handle with yellow liners and pinned with copper.

I like the acid etch/stone wash look. Who wants a shiny knife that is just going to get scratched anyway

Old 01-28-2023, 06:23 AM

^^^^

Great job CNP! Superb looking knife.

Kinda like that acid/stone wash look myself...think me will try it.

Your mixture 3 water to one acid, or 50/50?

Get your ferric chloride acid at Amazon?...
Old 01-28-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
^^^^

Great job CNP! Superb looking knife.

Kinda like that acid/stone wash look myself...think me will try it.

Your mixture 3 water to one acid, or 50/50?

Get your ferric chloride acid at Amazon?...
50/50 and yes Amazon. Just checked the price.....is was $30 when I ordered it a couple weeks ago and now it is $50! That's Amazon fer ya...
Old 01-28-2023, 02:30 PM

Just putting a fresh edge on the zipper blade Phil McCracken made up for me. Screaming sharp in a jiffy. Well thought out tool. Excellent quality and value.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2023, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Just putting a fresh edge on the zipper blade Phil McCracken made up for me. Screaming sharp in a jiffy. Well thought out tool. Excellent quality and value.

Nice!
Old 01-29-2023, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
50/50 and yes Amazon. Just checked the price.....is was $30 when I ordered it a couple weeks ago and now it is $50! That's Amazon fer ya...
Just ordered a 415 Ferric Chloride 475 ml bottle for $13.28 from Amazon.

That will give me one liter 50/50 water/acid mixture. Should be good to go.

And thanx sns2 for the kind words...
Old 02-06-2023, 04:50 PM

Just completed this semi skinner. 1084 steel and the cutting edge is just under 3".

The handle was fabricated with a material called "Juma". It is a high grade modern raw material, and excellent for knife handles. It actually looks like snake skin once finished. The color is "Magma Dragon", which is orange. Great color for the ones that lay their knives down and can't find them after until an extensive search...lol

Pins are Black G10, and made a black Kydex sheath for it.

This puppy will be in the Buy and Sell soon...

Old 02-08-2023, 06:52 AM

Got this sucker so sharp last night I shaved half my face with it. Dry.

Wife thought I was nuts. I started thinking I better quit before I slice my face.

Damned if I didn't cut myself putting the razor, er I mean Grohmann B&T back in the sheath.

One can only chuckle at the stupid things we do

Old 02-08-2023, 08:47 AM

^^^ That will teach ya!!...
Old 02-08-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Just completed this semi skinner. 1084 steel and the cutting edge is just under 3".

The handle was fabricated with a material called "Juma". It is a high grade modern raw material, and excellent for knife handles. It actually looks like snake skin once finished. The color is "Magma Dragon", which is orange. Great color for the ones that lay their knives down and can't find them after until an extensive search...lol

Pins are Black G10, and made a black Kydex sheath for it.

This puppy will be in the Buy and Sell soon...
Nice J. I searched for some Juma......pricey stuff!
Old 02-08-2023, 09:28 AM

Just finished handling these three. 80CRV2. Two skinners and one hunter. Skinners with DymaLux handles and hunter with G10 handle. Copper and brass pinned.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Got this sucker so sharp last night I shaved half my face with it. Dry.

Wife thought I was nuts. I started thinking I better quit before I slice my face.

Damned if I didn't cut myself putting the razor, er I mean Grohmann B&T back in the sheath.

One can only chuckle at the stupid things we do

Ha ha. Perfect for a knife thread
Old 02-08-2023, 01:29 PM

Default Way to go CNP and Phil Mccraken

Guys, even since we started this thread, your projects are looking better and better. Old dogs learning new tricks. Nice work!
Old 02-08-2023, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Guys, even since we started this thread, your projects are looking better and better. Old dogs learning new tricks. Nice work!
Thanx for the kind words sns2! Truly enjoy this hobby.

BTW...the one I recently displayed (Semi Skinner with the orange Juma handles) was sold today to a fine AO member before I could put it on the Buy and Sell.

Those semi skinners seem to be somewhat popular. I got another order on the go for another AO member...
Old 02-09-2023, 05:33 AM

Nice CNP! I see you are enjoying the Dymalux eh.

One thing I like about this material is you never how it will turn out...
Old 02-09-2023, 05:15 PM

So had a bit of time today, and decided to try an acid/rock wash blade. Had this one (1084 Carbon Steel) sitting around for awhile, so what the Eh!...

What I would like to know is your preferences on acid wash, satin, or polished blade?

One thing I found out through this process is that the blade, depending how long you soak it, then the rock tumble, "almost...almost" looks "kinda" like a Damascus.

Thanx for your input...

Old 02-10-2023, 08:00 AM

[QUOTE=Phil McCracken;4608628]So had a bit of time today, and decided to try an acid/rock wash blade. Had this one (1084 Carbon Steel) sitting around for awhile, so what the Eh!...

What I would like to know is your preferences on acid wash, satin, or polished blade?

One thing I found out through this process is that the blade, depending how long you soak it, then the rock tumble, "almost...almost" looks "kinda" like a Damascus.

Thanx for your input...

PM....
I like the look of the acid wash: I had that applied to my custom that I had made.
The remainder of my commercially made knives, are all satin and polished. I had no say in those ones.

BTW Phil, I like the look of the knives you are producing. This thread is one of the first ones that I open....GB

Cheers,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:22 AM

I imagine polished will be easier to keep rust at bay on.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
So had a bit of time today, and decided to try an acid/rock wash blade. Had this one (1084 Carbon Steel) sitting around for awhile, so what the Eh!...

Thanx for your input...

Acid etch will also show where the heat treat line is, if there is a differential heat treat. That is why some makers will create a "hamon" line. If you heat treat the entire knife you won't see any difference in the etch but if you heat treat just the blade and immerse the whole knife in acid, the tang will not etch as deeply as the blade (the blade will be darker than the tang).

There is a market for them all J. Personally, I prefer polished the least. It shows every finger print and any scratch. It also takes the most time to produce. But there is definitely a market for polished knives. Most of the knives on sale at the Lethbridge gun show last week were mirror polished. These were all from local knifemakers. That gun show was hugely attended, 4 or 5 knifemakers were there along with the usual suspects. I'm going to make more etched and stone washed knives but the satin finishes will be my primary focus. I'm going to get on with heating and beating some steel as well, knives that will show some brute-de-forge above the bevels. There is a market for that too

I etched this axe head after heat treating the blade portion only. The entire head was etched in acid. You can see the change in colour (darker to lighter). Darker at the blade end and lighter at the butt end.

Last edited by CNP; 02-10-2023 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:14 AM

^^^

Not a fan of highly polished steel also...except maybe for a presentation knife. Satin finish for me for a good old hunting knife that will be regularly used.

And BTW, excellent work on that axe!...
Old 02-11-2023, 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=graybeard;4608781]
Quote:

Thanx for your input...

PM....
I like the look of the acid wash: I had that applied to my custom that I had made.
The remainder of my commercially made knives, are all satin and polished. I had no say in those ones.

BTW Phil, I like the look of the knives you are producing. This thread is one of the first ones that I open....GB

Cheers,
Thank you sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I imagine polished will be easier to keep rust at bay on.
I hear you.

Carbon Steel will pit/rust if not well taken care of. Should be cleaned and dried after use. During long term storage, oil it once in awhile. Same goes with wooden handles. Wood dries and shrinks. Oil that too.

Another thing many folks do is keep the knife inside a leather sheath when stored away. I did that many times in the past, not anymore. Blood is bad for blades. If there is a bit of moisture inside the sheath, you will find rust the next time you pull it out.

With a few extra precautions, a carbon steel blade will look/perform great for many years/decades...
Old 02-11-2023, 08:03 AM

Default Knives

Very nice job on the knives guys. The semi skinner looks nice with the orange handles.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:55 PM

Hunting knife using season is coming up again. Hopefully this year we can see a more “how they worked” component to this thread.