Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 PM

I've been ice fishing longer than most of you've been breathing and the a 6" hand auger had served me for many years. I finally graduated to an 8" jiffy which served me well for many, many years. It started complaining over the last couple of seasons and I got tired of patching it until I discovered Canadian Tire puts their augers on 50% off later in the season. I picked up a Stealth 3 hp 10" for 250 bucks. Use the hand auger for a year or two and save up and watch for a deal on a power auger, they will come along and you will not regret it.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 PM

I've been ice fishing longer than most of you've been breathing. I used a 6" hand auger for a long time and it worked well. I finally graduated to an 8" jiffy power auger which was used for many years. The last couple of seasons it began complaining and I got tired of repairing it when I discovered Canadian Tire put their augers on 50% off later in the season. Last year I picked up a Stealth 3 hp $250 (1/2 price). Use the 6" hand auger for a couple of years and save your money until something you like comes on sale. If you are serious about ice fishing the power auger is the way to go.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:08 AM

Default Driller Killer

go gas or tough it out by hand. Drill auger's look great but it absolutely kills them. Seriously by a 32v and try. Lucky to get 2 years out of it.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:48 AM

As a kid in Manitoba in the early 60's Dad had no money for an auger. So we used an ice chipping bar with a string loop to put over your gloved hand so you would not drop the bar and let it sink down the hole. Took us approx 30-40 minutes to chip through 36" of ice taking turns when we got tuckered out.Dad and 2 kids we never asked for a second hole

The hole was like a reverse teepee. Really wide where you started and then narrower and narrower at the bottom. Worse has chipping out the bottom of the hole to make it wide enough to squeeze a fish through as it was flooding with water.

Kinda like shooting a single shot rifle. With only one shot to work with shot placement is everything. We never had the energy to chip a second hole after chipping out a hole for each of us.

No rods , so we cut willows and jammed them into our ice chip mounds and let them freeze in over the hole. Dad gave us each 20 feet of green cord and a pickerel rig and some minnows. Bags tied to the willow tops served as strike indicators and gave the rigs some action on windy days.

When he passed away in the late 90's and the family was dividing up his things everyone was letting greed guide them as they argued over his car and couch and tv.
I had my eye on only one thing. That chipping bar is still with me.

I take it out with me on occassion to remind me that it is not stuff that is important. It is the memories that simpler times bring to me.

Also fun to watch my ungrateful adult children try to chip a hole with it and give up halfway through.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:49 AM

I inherited my dad’s gas powered Eskimo a few years ago but always took the manual auger along…Two years ago I started using the cordless drill with the auger, I take the auger handle along just in-case…

If you decides to go to a cordless drill, buy an industrial drill since they are designed for more rugged use...Also change the auger blades yearly, my blades cost $17.00...