Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 07:07 PM

Default Divorce Question

Wondering if anyone has come across this scenario or heard of someone going through the same thing. After 36 years of marriage the wife and I are headed for divorce. Just in the process of getting a lawyer and will be doing the separation agreement shortly. My question is fairly simple. The collection of guns and reloading equipment I have is going to come up and she will want me to give her half of the value. All fair and square but am I going to give her half of what I paid or am I going to have to give her the inflated price of the reloading components? There's no way I would pay these prices now. It almost seems unfair if I have to give her the current price of something that I paid in most cases less than 20% of what they are going for now.

Thanks in advance for any replies
Old 07-21-2023, 07:17 PM

First off, I think it's awesome that, after 36 years and a pending divorce, that your concern here is the inflated pricing of reloading components and it's potential effect on your payout. 🤠🤟🤟🤟🤟

Id venture to say that it is likely her side will assess those items based on todays price. In reality, you probably paid $35-40 at best for any pound of powder you have. Im sure she has things now that she bought that have inflated too.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 07-21-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:22 PM

Default Everything is negnotiable

Just try to estimate a fair value for all your stuff, and see what she says. After 36 years please don't fight over dishes you got as wedding presents. If cement bench responds listen to him.
Old 07-21-2023, 07:25 PM

Sell them all to a buddy at a very low price then buy them back a year later .
Old 07-21-2023, 07:42 PM

It will be market value or close to it. Think about the house for example... If she gets the house, would you want to be paid 1/2 if there value based on today prices, or whatever you've paid back when...
However you feel about it, if things were purchased after you two got married - it's common property.
Selling it to the buddy will not work either if it was done after intention to divorce was announced. It's a sure way for things to turn ugly.
Not s legal advice...
Old 07-21-2023, 07:44 PM

I got no answer for you as my ex left my firearm and components collection alone (was an amicable split), but to second what Huntinstuff said, it’s awesome that’s what’s on your mind haha! Good luck with everything sir!
Old 07-21-2023, 08:21 PM

NOT LEGAL ADVICE

leave the values of the firearms stuff to last

try to set values on the house, vehicles, debts and how they were caused, other assets like furniture, and how the assets are to be sold or distributed

worry about the major lifestyle things first

if there is agreement and no p-I-s-s-I-n-g- match song being sung then and on,y then deal with the items you treasure or might wish to argue over

get the major items dealt with first

start slow and try to be within 10% of the market current value on,each item

HOWEVER say in writing this is a estimate for negotiation purposes only to see if there is agreement on items and to organize the,ones to be sold

DONT AGREE TO,ANYTHING, DONT. OVE OUT AND DONT LOSE YOUR COOL

other so-called experts still practicing law ANS NOT REFERRING TO,ANYBODY,HERE OK

we are not lawyers but they only know the law, they are not ever taught negotiation skills or how to take back values once agreed upon

I like both parties to make up WITHOUT PREJUDICE LISTS and exchange them at the same time or get together and talk about values in general

other wise yiu can be backed into a corner and cannot retract the values

GO THROUGH ONE ITEM AT A. TIME

INDICATE IT IS WITHOUT THE ABILITY TO CHECK VALUES THEOUGH APPRAISAL OR OTHERWISE

Sssoooooooo

it she is reasonable then it goes smoothly and quickly

difficulty is when they get advice from their mother, girlfriend or lawyer

the old adage works well

HOPE FOR THE BEST PLAN FOR THE WORST

life is a mess and John Wayne once said

life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid

have fun more to it than this but I cannot type and I,am old and everyone else is the real expert

Later off on holidays tomorrow am

Jeffy
Old 07-21-2023, 08:26 PM

Ask for 50% of the value of her shoe and purse collection.

My wife doesn't ask me how many guns I have and how much they cost, just as I don't ask her how many shoes black slacks and purses she has and how much they cost.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:26 PM

Default Look at her assets over the years too.

X wanted half of the $ from 1/2 of the goodies I had in my little reloading room.

So we agreed, after some conversation that jewelry/art and a few other things I really had no interest in would also have to be divided up. ($).

She kept her crap. I kept mine. Don’t look for a fight. Look for a compromise.

Good luck in getting his done.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:31 PM

Cool sounds like you have your answer!
Closed Thread