Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 AM

Default Who remembers this incident? Runcer v Gould

This old story was brought up in one of my classes today. Wonder how many AO members remember this, and what they think/thought of it. Obviously it's deranged but frankly sort of funny looking back on it.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle25454313/

Quote:
A pilot who duct-taped an 18-year-old and threatened to toss him out of his airborne helicopter in a quest for his stolen all-terrain vehicles must pay the young man more than $10,000.
And a little more details about it:

Quote:
Runcer and a friend stole Gould's two recreational vehicles - Gould forced Runcer to the ground, duct-taped his hands and ankles and put him in a helicopter - The door was removed - Runcer was scared and crying - Hunley piloted the helicopter - While airborne, Gould threatened to push Runcer out if he did not disclose the vehicles' location - Runcer showed Gould one vehicle's locaÂ*tion (the other had been sold) - Gould took Runcer, still taped, to the vehicle and then to Runcer's residence for the key - Runcer was detained for two to 2.5 hours
Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Banned

The little got what they deserved.

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-02-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
The little ****s got what they deserved.
Remember this as well. X2^^^^^

BW
Old 03-02-2017, 12:44 PM

I would have pitched in some bucks to compensate the guy to repay his 10K loss....
Old 03-02-2017, 03:08 PM

I remember the story too and thought it was some perfect retaliation for the punk he caught. If the threat of being pushed out of a helicopter don't get you talking, nothing will

So similar story. Guy I worked with lived on an acreage. Had his and friends dirt bikes there as they could ride his family land beside him. Punks steal dirt bikes. A little CSI and a couple days later they find the bikes down the road stored in a old grainery/abandoned farm yard. Him and his dad set up a sting. One day, here come the 3 punks. They catch 2 of the 3 in the grainery trying to start the bikes, one gets away and runs a km away to the town edge and houses where they live. The 2 caught are zip tied and interrogated as to their names and where they live. Punk who got away runs to mommy and they call the cops. Guys holding the 2 punks in the farm yard see RC's coming and are happy but know they didnt call yet.

Guns drawn on guy and his dad. Punk who got away said they were taken hostage by gunpoint and beaten up, when in reality, no punches were thrown and no guns involved but a bit of roughness did occur lol. Cops split up the guy and his dad but let the punks mill about while they talk to the guy and his dad. Punks get their stories straight, guy and his dad go to jail for the weekend. 20G each in lawyers fees, threats of jail time. Thankfully the judge saw through it but it was a year defending themselves.

In both these cases i see nothing wrong with what the people who lost stuff did. As my dad always says, maybe they will think twice before they steal again. Cost the dad and the guy I worked with a lot of $$$ & time to prove the punks were lying.

I see the helicopter guy paid with $$$ and jail time too. Yet the article only says they took the atv for a "joyride"

Going to see more of this with the way crime is running rampant.

Last edited by Sooner; 03-02-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:21 PM

I remember it. I rode the school bus with Ryan Runcer until he moved away. He was a couple of years older then me. The pilot should get a pat on the back and a big thank you! Runcer probably didn't steal again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Actually I head runcer on a radio show said it helped him grow up the other partner in this crime never did grow up.Gould is a nice man had sucessful business also I do believe he was ex RCMP. I never thought about this for ever sure do remeber it now.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 PM

http://lawyers.incourt.ca/alberta/vi...mary/?id=13635
Old 03-02-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Actually I head runcer on a radio show said it helped him grow up the other partner in this crime never did grow up.Gould is a nice man had sucessful business also I do believe he was ex RCMP. I never thought about this for ever sure do remeber it now.
I heard. Also a bit shocking that an ex-RCMP would do something like this. Would definitely know the consequences of such acts.

That said, if an ex-RCMP has no faith in the police solving this matter and took it into his own hands to resolve it, what does that say about the police?
Old 03-02-2017, 09:02 PM

Now what was that old pirate saying???
Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 PM

When property is stolen, Law Enforcement doesn't care about trying to solve the crime or recover the stolen goods; unless it's one of their "Patrol Carbines" that is stolen and then the real story of what went down is completely suppressed in order to protect their own criminal members.

The Police will show up and give you a Police Report Number for insurance purposes and that is about it. IF by some chance they happen upon the stolen merchandise and the criminal is caught, our wonderful justice system will have the person out within days, or even hours so that they can do it all again.

There is little money to be made by catching criminals, but there is a fortune to be made by catching regular people driving over the speed limit. With the amount of police resources devoted to traffic, you would think that people driving over the speed limit is the biggest problem facing society.

I can see where someone could go much further with dishing out justice so that they will not be re-victimized by the justice system for doing whatever it took to get their stuff back.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Banned

Thanks. I vaguely remembered this case and had tried to find it on the internet several times. I was starting to think I had imagined it.

I would say leave this sort of punishment and crime solving to the police and justice system. But they suck at protecting honest citizens from criminals, so it's pretty hard for me to have any sympathy for criminals or any hatred for vigilantes.

Too bad he was the one that wound up getting harassed by the injustice system.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:41 AM

Maybe the Crown should hire Eric Gould to take Travis Vader for a little chopper ride
Old 03-04-2017, 07:29 AM

I remember this story very well....Knew all parties involved, and must say that in this case I think the end may have justified the means....
Old 03-04-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Now what was that old pirate saying???
No Quarter given.....
Vigilantism at its finest.
Rob
Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Maybe the Crown should hire Eric Gould to take Travis Vader for a little chopper ride
^^^^^I like this idea! Then after he has the confession drop the out the door. We've spent enough on him already!

BW

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-04-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:18 PM

Default Eric Gould and Runcer copter ride

I grew up 2 blocks from Goulds,,when Eric got his first R22 Helicopter.we all thought he was nuts,he took me up and killed the motor,it just gyroed down to a hard landing.. Eric was a Ontario Police Officer,,not Rcmp.. and he also got 1 yr in Jail for that,,is was served locally on weekends.. he has done very well in his Helicoptor business ,, But another set back,Erics son was just killed during forest fire job southern Alberta,his dad just died last month too..He is one of the few that became successful from Whitecourt.

Ken Vanderburg