Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2023, 03:22 PM

Question Looking for mobile RV hitch repair techs in Calgary Area

So in the process of hooking up my trailer the other day, the power tongue jack moved for a bit and then stopped stone cold dead. I’ve had some issues with it before and it sparking where it attaches to the frame. I think I have an electrical short somewhere but I’m zero good with electrical. The reason I think it is electrical is that there is an LED light on the jack that won’t work either. Motor worked just fine.

Does anyone have a mobile RV company they recommend to either fix the electrical or replace the jack altogether? I also want to add an anti-sway bar to my existing weight distribution hitch and I don’t want to core the frame myself. Too nervous to mess it up somehow and I don’t have a good enough drill to do it anyhow.

I can manually raise / lower the tongue (which is what saved my bacon out west of Sundre over the weekend) but I’d prefer not to tow it from storage located in NW Calgary near Balzac.

Any experience appreciated. Trailer is a keystone 24SAWBE 2016 model. Yes, I'm doing my googling for RV techs in the area, but would prefer first-hand experience.

Thx
Old 07-26-2023, 05:11 PM

Just trace the wire, it’s likely rubbed through and blew the fuse. Repair wire and new fuse and it’s only 10-15 minutes of your life instead of hauling your trailer in or paying a service call. 12v stuff is fairly simple.
Old 07-27-2023, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
So in the process of hooking up my trailer the other day, the power tongue jack moved for a bit and then stopped stone cold dead. I’ve had some issues with it before and it sparking where it attaches to the frame. I think I have an electrical short somewhere but I’m zero good with electrical. The reason I think it is electrical is that there is an LED light on the jack that won’t work either. Motor worked just fine.

Does anyone have a mobile RV company they recommend to either fix the electrical or replace the jack altogether? I also want to add an anti-sway bar to my existing weight distribution hitch and I don’t want to core the frame myself. Too nervous to mess it up somehow and I don’t have a good enough drill to do it anyhow.

I can manually raise / lower the tongue (which is what saved my bacon out west of Sundre over the weekend) but I’d prefer not to tow it from storage located in NW Calgary near Balzac.

Any experience appreciated. Trailer is a keystone 24SAWBE 2016 model. Yes, I'm doing my googling for RV techs in the area, but would prefer first-hand experience.

Thx

Being in Edmonton I can't help much with the jack fix but on the sway bar topic I'd say don't bother. Usually not required with a good WD hitch properly set up. Metal on metal function and having to disconnect it to back into most stalls or make larger than 45 degree turns? Hard pass.
Old 07-27-2023, 07:46 AM

Swift RV repair in Airdrie was a huge help to us on a road trip a few years back. They’d certainly get the call if we needed help again.
Old 07-27-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePete View Post
Swift RV repair in Airdrie was a huge help to us on a road trip a few years back. They’d certainly get the call if we needed help again.
Thanks, I'll check them out.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:07 PM

Default RV Repair

Shayne Gorzo owns Westside RV Repair. His shop is near the Shell service station north of Cochrane on 567 Highway to Airdrie. He also does mobile repairs and is very good and fair. I've used him for many years.
403-815-5951
shayne@westsiderv.ca
Old 07-31-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafternk View Post
Shayne Gorzo owns Westside RV Repair. His shop is near the Shell service station north of Cochrane on 567 Highway to Airdrie. He also does mobile repairs and is very good and fair. I've used him for many years.
403-815-5951
shayne@westsiderv.ca
Thanks for the tip. Will reach out.