Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2023, 01:09 PM

Default The Personal insurance company

Wow. What a company this is to deal with.
Anyone with them or thinking about signing with them should just run, fast!
Not worth any savings you might get on premiums.
I have a claim in for water damage from a broken pipe.
They do not have any adjusters in Alberta so everything is done with Claims advisors in Ontario.
And in dealing with these guys from Ontario, no less than 3 of them have stated that having replacement cost for home insurance means they won't just pay to have you buy a replacement item. They want to depreciate it and compensate you accordingly. AND they do it by paying half now and half after you provide the receipt.

What's the point of paying for replacement cost if they are saying they don't have to provide actual replacement value?
They are a subsidiary of Desjardins Insurance so I wouldn't expect them to be any better either.

I've had a few claims having had home insurance since my 20's but I've never had a claim where they say not to expect replacement cost.
Old 07-28-2023, 06:28 PM

Default Read the Policy

Most folks read their policy after a claim is started...a lot of unpleasant learnings can arise. Have a detailed read thru and prepare a rebuttal to their "depreciated replacement" valuation. Many times an adjuster may be gaming you to see if you will dig into the details to get your entitlement.

Remote adjusters are just a fact of life, at least they are in North America. I know that's no consolation.

I've got an ongoing claim for a stolen vehicle, adjusters are from Ontario (vehicle) and Halifax (contents). In my case I added special coverage so have had a rental since the day after the theft and will get paid out for a new model (2023) of my lost vehicle. I had to point this out to the adjuster, since then he's been a lot more thorough

The worst thing you can do is say "Oh well", fold and accept their interpretation. I honestly believe certain companies (SGI) rely on this to grind down claims.
Old 07-29-2023, 12:38 PM

Well I tried to escalate to their Claim Management team as their website directs you to do since I was getting nowhere with my claim advisor. Talked to a very defensive lady who reiterated the same lines as the advisor. Lo and behold when I asked for her title she states she’s an advisor like all the others. Tried to use their online form to make contact and it doesn’t load.
Good luck trying to get answers from these guys. I asked where in their policy does it say they will pay half now and half later after a receipt is provided and was told that it was an internal decision and not spelled out in the policy and it is understood.
By who is the mystery.
Maybe I just don’t understand my policy because I don’t know how to read between the imaginary lines
Old 07-29-2023, 02:29 PM

Last edited by Dmay; 07-29-2023 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:38 PM

ATF are you ex military and or part of the Canex? If so make a complaint to the canex as the Personal is their insurer of choice.
Old 07-31-2023, 07:06 PM

Make few calls to free lawyer consultations.
Tell them that this is where it may be going, might help.
WDF
Old 07-31-2023, 07:34 PM

The Personal offers a group rate for engineers in Alberta which is significantly cheaper than TD, for instance.

I still won't touch them.

Why?

They are a division of Desjardins.

Colossal data breach in 2019.

And everyone I've spoken too regarding quotes is clearly not in Canada.

Shady outfit.