Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-07-2023, 07:19 PM

Default Simms Freestone

I purchased a pair of Simms Freestone boots last year and this is the second season in them. I only fish maybe 25 days a year in them but the second last trip they bothered my middle toe on both feet. I went out again just the past weekend and I wore them 6 hours and both toes were rubbed raw from what appears to be a seam and fold in the upper part of the toe of the boot. They were great last year but wondering if anyone has had similar issues over time. To me it seams that right where your foot bends it presses this puffy seam into your foot. Any ideas?
Old 06-05-2024, 04:15 PM

Default not for sale but free

If anyone wants a project pair of size 10 Simms Freestones PM me. I think the glue holding the tongue material let go and hardened into a vertical ridge.
Might be able to cut it out or repair. I hate to throw them out.

Had zero replies from Simms so I'm done with them and now walk in Orvis Ultralight boots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skype_Picture_2024_05_24T16_13_02_763Z.jpg (17.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Skype_Picture_2024_05_24T16_13_23_692Z.jpg (14.1 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by M.Ote; 06-05-2024 at 04:17 PM. Reason: title
Old 06-05-2024, 06:27 PM

Default Had quite a few replies.

Thanks guys for all your interest. They have a new home.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:52 AM

I’ve found simms QAQC and overall build quality has gone down since 2010. I avoid at all costs. I work 100-200 days a year in waders and don’t trust any of their products anymore. Food for thought.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:14 AM

What waders do you recommend FlyTheory
Old 06-07-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
What waders do you recommend FlyTheory
Frankly, I’m still on the quest for the best wader. I can say that so far, the best waders I’ve owned have been Patagonia swiftcurrent. Worst waders I’ve owned are the simms freestones and the Level6 breakwater bib. I’m going to try finntrail enduro waders (which are 5-ply, most waders are 3-4).
Old 06-09-2024, 09:06 AM

I was a hardcore advocate of Simms waders and boots for years, as I guided and spent a lot of time on the water. I also have seen a dramatic lowering in the quality of the products such as the guide series that I had used. Would certainly agree with FlyTheory that for the last multi-years there has been a downward quality problem coupled with the massive price increase. My last pair of Simms G3's leaked after only 4 months. They went back twice for repairs, each time lasting only months. Not great. Hopefully others have had better luck but that has been my experience. I am now using Reddington Sonic-Pro HDZ I have used them problem-free for 3 years.

My Simms guide boots let go at the boot seam after a year of use, forcing me to limp back miles to the truck. The pair before that had the soles fall off at the heel that was it for Simms products. It was always a struggle to get them on and off. 6 years ago I bought Chota Abrams boots as a backup pair and the comfort was great. I have now used the Chota STL Plus wading boots for 4 years and love them, easy on and off and all-day comfort for this old guy.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-09-2024, 11:52 AM

For the huge cost investment in waders, anglers really need to put the buzz out publicly on any product problems. Otherwise they just seem to be milking a cash cow to our expense.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-09-2024, 03:30 PM

I’ve recently purchased chest waders from 8fans. 3 trips out with them so far so very limited exposure but:
Pros:
VERY Affordable
Very light
Good for trapping warmth
No leaks yet and have been beating down bushes and brush in upper red deer river. Have been rubbing up against lots of branches and sticks.
Very responsive with questions

Cons:
I used their sizing chart, took measurements. They said I was a medium. I emailed them to question it. They said buy medium. They were too small. Had to ship back and was sent a large size right away.
1 of the clips for the gravel guards broke on the second trip out. Looks like a faulty rivet. Waiting to hear back on a fix for that.
The lighter pair does not have a hand pocket. The thicker set does. This is more of a disappointment more than a con.

First impressions; so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2024, 03:39 PM

I should also add that I recently purchased a new pair of Orvis pros boots with the BOA binding. They were very pricey but I LOVE them. Great comfort. Great grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk