Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2023, 09:08 AM

Default Newbs

Well, my 11 year old son said he wants to learn to hunt. I asked why and if he would actually eat the meat of an animal after he took its life. His response was “of course I would eat it and I think it’s a good way for us to spend time together”
I can’t really say no to that now can I?

So at the ripe young age of 43 I guess I better learn to hunt. 🤷🏻*♂️

Tips, tricks, ideas of where I should start or what I should do first. I have thought of this previously and feel like I would be partial to bow hunting but am open to rifle as well.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:28 AM

Next spring, connect with a farmer and do some gopher hunting with a .22

Goose and duck Hunting is a blast, you can talk, eat snacks, sit in the blind, and if you miss once, there will be more chances. If you're near Olds, let me know and I might be able to help you out.

You can also find some ACA land and go for a walk with a shotgun or .22 and keep your eyes peeled for grouse.

Bow hunting is pretty technical, you don't get lots of chances, you have to play the wind, be super quiet, etc. I wouldn't say it's for beginners.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:36 AM

You have an incredible opportunity there!

When my kids were just starting out - and they were quite little at the time - I would find trails (Blackfoot, or old logging roads an hour or two out of town) and chase grouse. It's a great way to learn about what other critters are around and what their habits/patterns are, and grouse are soooooo yummy.

Do you have your PAL? If so, we found it easiest for beginner hunters to have success by getting a .410 and hitting the trails.

If it's big game you're after, then taking an experienced friend along is a good way to start. Even to tag along while they hunt, you can learn a lot. Especially for the part after the critter is down.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:39 AM

Get both of you enrolled in hunter safety training, joing a club and learn how to shoot safely!
Many clubs can help you out with the firearms and hunting thing, and yes, hunting out of a blind, and upland hunting are fantastic ways to spend time with your kid!
Cat
Old 09-22-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Get both of you enrolled in hunter safety training, joing a club and learn how to shoot safely!
Many clubs can help you out with the firearms and hunting thing, and yes, hunting out of a blind, and upland hunting are fantastic ways to spend time with your kid!
Cat
Very good advice, the best way to start out, is to be safe and legal, you can develop actual hunting skills as you go.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezam18 View Post

Goose and duck Hunting is a blast, you can talk, eat snacks, sit in the blind, and if you miss once, there will be more chances. If you're near Olds, let me know and I might be able to help you out.

You can also find some ACA land and go for a walk with a shotgun or .22 and keep your eyes peeled for grouse.

Bow hunting is pretty technical, you don't get lots of chances, you have to play the wind, be super quiet, etc. I wouldn't say it's for beginners.
Totally agree with this ^^ Also hunter education programs are a good start. Find a mentor if you can. Follow the 10 commandments of fire arm safety have fun and enjoy!
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
You have an incredible opportunity there!

When my kids were just starting out - and they were quite little at the time - I would find trails (Blackfoot, or old logging roads an hour or two out of town) and chase grouse. It's a great way to learn about what other critters are around and what their habits/patterns are, and grouse are soooooo yummy.

Do you have your PAL? If so, we found it easiest for beginner hunters to have success by getting a .410 and hitting the trails.

If it's big game you're after, then taking an experienced friend along is a good way to start. Even to tag along while they hunt, you can learn a lot. Especially for the part after the critter is down.
No PAL, so probably going to get in for it.

I have some friends that hunt so might tag along this year if we can. In-laws are avid hunters but they live 4 hours away so not sure if we would find the time to go there for a day or 2 just yet.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezam18 View Post

Both my boys have shot some grass bears with Grandpa and they enjoy it when they go.

Thanks for the heads up on bow hunting maybe that will be a down the road thing for us then.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:15 AM

Is it worth it to get the restricted too? Or too much BS involved in that side for now anyways?
Old 09-22-2023, 10:29 AM

Archery is something that you can start at any time - if you can get access to an indoor range, you can build up competency over the Winter.

For getting your PAL - start now (get into a course) and get your application in pronto, so you'll be ready for next season. It can take a while to process new applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Is it worth it to get the restricted too? Or too much BS involved in that side for now anyways?
The only reason I would have it is in case I have a non-restricted rifle that gets reclassified down the road.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:51 PM

Like mentioned above get your course in order first because they are an important step

You have friends and family that hunt I would say start by talking to them to see if they can help you too out hands on

There is a ton of different species to hunt and starting by picking what you want to hunt will make a difference in the direction you need to go with gear/firearms.

Your location makes a big difference too on what options you have available close to home for places to hunt and animals. Big difference living in west central vs south east

For spending time with your kid in a relaxed hunting situation it’s hard to beat small game/waterfowl. It is easier to be social and hunt directly together. There can be a lot more action too

My opinion besides courses/gear try not to over complicate things too much and pick animals that can be hunting close to home or species you’re family/friends that hunt are willing to teach to hunt
Old 09-22-2023, 09:55 PM

Thanks everyone. He’s smiling as I read him the posts. We will be tagging a long with a friend for some deer season and I’ll be booking in for my PAL asap. Hoping to get a few days in even pushing some bush for our friends.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I vote for getting the Restricted cost less $$$ when you take it with your regular PAL, plus it increases the number of restricted license holders in Canada which may be another reason why the feds may not push their anti gun agenda any harder. Plus it feels good to give it to the man. lol
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:38 PM

As stated, a few gopher shoots will cement the passion or not. Easy, cheap, relaxed. Best of luck, if you make it work, there's lifetimes of memories!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-23-2023, 08:39 AM

Its always best to start small . Start with a 22 once your legal to buy one or borrow one and then your legal to hunt beside some if they have there pal .
Go for gophers if you can find a place then once you get your pal and hunting course go out for some grouse with your young son and let him shot a few with the 22 .
Old 09-25-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Well, my 11 year old son said he wants to learn to hunt. I asked why and if he would actually eat the meat of an animal after he took its life. His response was “of course I would eat it and I think it’s a good way for us to spend time together”
I can’t really say no to that now can I?

So at the ripe young age of 43 I guess I better learn to hunt. 🤷🏻*♂️

Tips, tricks, ideas of where I should start or what I should do first. I have thought of this previously and feel like I would be partial to bow hunting but am open to rifle as well.
AHEIA does mentored hunts in the Calgary area. From what I hear they have access to some very primo elk land.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Hoping to get a few days in even pushing some bush for our friends.
Careful with that - Alberta isn't like other provinces with respect to pushing bush or party hunting.
Old 09-26-2023, 01:47 PM

By far the most fun we have is taking the bow for a walk for deer or bear or rabbits. Talking and having fun. My kids are stump shooting their bows. We get the occasional grouse or rabbit. I show them how to butcher it and they get right in there inspecting the animals. Now I get pictures from my wife when I am at work of all 4 of them making play-doh animals at the table and butchering them...

If I was going out hoping to get a trophy with them it wouldn't be fun for anyone. We go out with our highest expectation being spending time together in the outdoors.

There is one major downside though: I really enjoy solo hunting but after taking my kids I find that I don't have as much fun by myself. The neat things that happen, the sights, and the animals I think "wow that is cool, but I wish they were here to enjoy this with me".
Old 09-26-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupiddumbman View Post
by far the most fun we have is taking the bow for a walk for deer or bear or rabbits. Talking and having fun. My kids are stump shooting their bows. We get the occasional grouse or rabbit. I show them how to butcher it and they get right in there inspecting the animals. Now i get pictures from my wife when i am at work of all 4 of them making play-doh animals at the table and butchering them...

If i was going out hoping to get a trophy with them it wouldn't be fun for anyone. We go out with our highest expectation being spending time together in the outdoors.

There is one major downside though: I really enjoy solo hunting but after taking my kids i find that i don't have as much fun by myself. The neat things that happen, the sights, and the animals i think "wow that is cool, but i wish they were here to enjoy this with me".
100%!
Old 09-26-2023, 03:15 PM

I really recommend getting the young man into a youth conservation camp. Narrow lake or Alford lake. The youth will be taught hunters ed, pal, archery, boating liscence. 2 of my kids and 2 nephews went to narrow lake and it was awsome.
Get the youth comfortable with firearms and watch some cleaning videos.
Try and find a hunter mentor in your area.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:23 PM

We have four kids 8, 7, 4, and 1. It seems like taking turns and going with me one at a time works best and they appreciate the rare one-on-one time.

I pack a ton of extra food and layers for them. Early season a bug net goes a long way, bring lip chap, sun screen, bug spray. Whatever you can do to mitigate thorns getting in their shoes. During the winter a stove and hot chocolate will raise morale when they are done and you still have a long walk back to the truck. I always bring my big pack now because it is much easier to cram a kid in there than to carry them out in your arms while you post hole your way through 3 feet of snow because the exit trail has drifted over. I also put together a pulk immediately after that experience.

Bow season is usually nicer weather, generally we have the area to ourselves; plus longer days and seasons. The older ones and I are getting better at being sneaky but all of our big game success has been with a rifle so far.

I carry bear spray in places I wouldn't if it was just me. Make sure your wife is on board and agrees that the experiences are worth the risks and that the bigger risk is them sitting at home on devices.