Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2023, 05:52 PM

Thumbs down Stolen meat...

Anyone ever had a kill stolen from them by another hunter?
Just happened to someone I know.
They shot a bull elk yesterday, hung it up. Still there this morning so they head out for a morning hunt, come back and find out someone came into their camp this morning after they left and stole the hind quarters. Wasn't a bear, it was a truck.

Feel pretty bad for him.
The trials of hunting up by Grand Prairie.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:41 PM

Was in Empress restaurant years ago talking to some fellow hunters. One of the other hunters had shot a monster buck. After eating our lunch we all went out to get a look at the buck and someone had stole it out of the back of the truck.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:56 PM

Terrible but unfortunately there are scumbags among us.

This is a bit different but years ago there was a guy solo hunting (from Edmonton?) and he had tent camp set up. This was out east of Swan Hills.

While he was out for the day some douche bag(s) cut his tent to ribbons and shoveled snow in on all his gear. So that's what he found when he got back to his camp.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 09-19-2023, 08:12 PM

When the more equals were poaching moose outta 339 to sell to restaurants in fort mac, it was well known that you did not leave meat hung up or in a cooler. They would swipe anything they came across.

That got broken up but the moose population never recovered.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:40 PM

We had to get our truck repaired on the way back from southern alberta to Edmonton one november and someone stole a hind quarter off one of our mule deer in the utility trailer while we waited.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:30 PM

Sorry to the OP.
Read on FB today that a hunter is missing the head and cape of an elk he left in the bush while hiking the meat out. Maybe the thief has a full package now that they can throw there tag on.
Crappy for both parties.
WDF
Old 09-20-2023, 06:37 PM

Many years ago in the Porcupine's we had all our beers stolen by a drunken bunch driving around with 6 of them in the back of a pick up blasting everything they saw. We protested and had guns waved in our general direction and got told to shut up. We were two 18 yr old boys, and that was my first encounter with a certain group.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2023, 07:53 PM

Default Bull elk taken

This was quite a few decades ago but I remember a couple of hunters that shot a beauty of a bull elk in the Crowsnest Pass area. They drove up and down main street Blairmore with the elk in the back of the pickup honking their horn and proudly showing the whole town their prize. Around sundown they parked at the Greenhill bar and went in for a couple brews to celebrate. When they came out, the elk was gone. Just to easy and tempting I guess.
Old 09-20-2023, 10:38 PM

I heard that they may not have had permission where they harvested that elk 😊
Old 09-21-2023, 07:24 AM

While hunting moose in the Chinchaga area many moons ago...a grizzly stole one of our front quarters...
Old 09-21-2023, 07:36 AM

Years ago in 338 we had a camp set up in November. We had a nice meat bull moose hanging and we’re out for the next morning hunt. When we got back the whole thing was gone, meat head and hide. The only thing left was the tag cut off. Sometimes I really hate people.
Old 09-21-2023, 08:46 AM

I used to hear stories from the fifties when there was no work in the Crowsnest Pass of people stealing others game.

Now with the high prices of meat at the store I was wondering how long it would take for poaching to increase.
I see hard times coming
Old 09-21-2023, 09:38 AM

Ojeda, maybe the elk in back of truck at bar , woke up and ran back into the woods.
Old 09-22-2023, 04:58 PM

Default Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
I heard that they may not have had permission where they harvested that elk 😊

Nope. Not these guys. Never in a million years. I'd bet my life on it.
Absolute clean living, hard working god fearing honest men. I've known them literally all my life.The farmer gave them permission and has for years. These guys meticulously plan these hunts out and have permissions in place lonnnng before hunting season begins.They mind all the "P"s and "Q"s and they hate poachers with a passion.

Someone was glassing them when they rolled in and hung the meat up in camp. Then they trespassed onto the land and stole it.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glas Ó Cairealláin View Post
Nope. Not these guys. Never in a million years. I'd bet my life on it.
Absolute clean living, hard working god fearing honest men. I've known them literally all my life.The farmer gave them permission and has for years. These guys meticulously plan these hunts out and have permissions in place lonnnng before hunting season begins.They mind all the "P"s and "Q"s and they hate poachers with a passion.

Someone was glassing them when they rolled in and hung the meat up in camp. Then they trespassed onto the land and stole it.
Pretty sure he was commenting on post #8.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-22-2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Pretty sure he was commenting on post #8.
Yup
Old 09-23-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
While hunting moose in the Chinchaga area many moons ago...a grizzly stole one of our front quarters...
You're lucky he let you keep the rest of it.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-26-2023, 03:37 PM

At current grocery prices that would now qualify as grand theft