Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
I've used Thunder Shot - cut a 2 inch PVC pipe about 4 foot long and fill with Thundershot. Put a cap on the bottom and tape up the top. Push the pipe into the soft muck on the pond side of the beaver damn and let er rip......impressive product and i would want a place to shoot from at least 60 yards away. Shoujld blow a hole wide enough to drive a side by side through!!
Yep! Exactly what we do at the farm! Just make sure the PVC is sealed up well and no water gets in. Makes quick work of a dam!
Old 09-19-2023, 06:39 AM

4th one relocated last night. Very little rebuilding debris in the mornings. I think I may have one left.

Dam now has an opening of about 6 feet(from me picking at it every mornings), and water has gone down a couple of feet.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:09 AM

Well, I believe the problem has now been resolved.

5 were shot, and all of a sudden, for 4 evenings, none seen. However, a small amount of fresh sticks/grass/mud still required to be cleaned up it the morning. Whatever is left, they became nocturnal.

So I got ahold of a trapper buddy, and a couple of traps were set. The following morning, one beaver was caught. For the past 2 days, no rebuilding, and therefore I assume there are none left. The traps will be left there for awhile.

PS: I bought a cheapie boat anchor at Canadian Tire. Not the best tool to rip sticks out of a beaver dam. Vertically with the tractor bucket is OK if you can get to it, horizontally not so good.
Old 09-30-2023, 06:48 AM

Glad you got them cleaned out Phil. They can sure make a mess in a hurry.
Old 09-30-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
4th one relocated last night. Very little rebuilding debris in the mornings. I think I may have one left.

Dam now has an opening of about 6 feet(from me picking at it every mornings), and water has gone down a couple of feet.
Place a box with Tannerite in it and blow it up!
Old 10-01-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Phil,

A friend of mine has a big problem with beavers on his quarter. He boarders a bird sanctuary which is a vast expanse of beaver habitat. Killing beaver or blowing dams is futile. He did get some help from a local trapper for a while but the beavers kept coming.

His land including his trout pond was at risk from so much backed up beaver pond water extending from his land many miles back into the sanctuary.

He was able to get assistance from the county and they installed a beaver pond leveler. It has had some success.

https://www.beaversolutions.com/get-...pond-levelers/
I don't have beaver issues, but I want to buy the Beaver Deceiver and the Beaver Baffler just so I can tell people their names.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:49 AM

Found that pepper spray into the beaver house and the beavers move.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:07 PM

Though a binary mixture is fun and effective, please be mindful of how much that you are legally allowed to mix.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
I don't have beaver issues, but I want to buy the Beaver Deceiver and the Beaver Baffler just so I can tell people their names.
I'll just leave this here....

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=99427

Old 10-04-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

From start to finish that thread is gold. Likely wouldn't be allowed to happen these days.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Tanerite packed in a dug in hole. Blown a few sky high lol. Use a good amount.
Been following this with a lot of interest . I too have beaver problems, local trapper is helping out , but the area is too flooded to get equipment in to destroy the Dam .Wondering where one goes to get tanerite? How much can you buy? Will it be enough to punch a hole through it ? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
Been following this with a lot of interest . I too have beaver problems, local trapper is helping out , but the area is too flooded to get equipment in to destroy the Dam .Wondering where one goes to get tanerite? How much can you buy? Will it be enough to punch a hole through it ? Thanks in advance.
You can buy it at Cabelas.
Old 10-05-2023, 08:10 PM

I spent about 2 hours yesterday breaking a dam. Used a pick, spade and a lot of grunt work. After 2 hours I had it open about 15’ long 4’ deep.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:13 AM

Guys just be careful when digging out beaver dam. Pond may contain beaver fever so suggest you wear rubber gloves.