Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2023, 11:07 PM

Default total newbie looking for friends and guidance

Hello there, this is quite weird to write for a man in his 34 years...
But I am looking for (firstly) friends who would perhaps have the patience to take me out shooting (I passed my PAL recently but am waiting for my license) and then hopefully to try hunting (I passe my hunter's license in Alberta recently too).

I honestly do not think there is a real way for me to start hunting without having someone I know show me the ropes. Now it might sound easy for most, but it's not. The situation is that I love wildlife and animals and have been living in Alberta for 4 years. I might not be as a hardcore hunter as you guys are nor am I 100% sure I want to do this. I love animals but also am trying to understand the hunter's way of things.

I finished the course and am aware and agree with how hunters manage the resources. But I don't feel like I would be able to start on my own because it seems very complicated and scary. Only thing I am looking for is some mentoring, and seeing if someone would want to teach a newbie, who's more than happy to help out in any way.

I am unsure how much political these groups become but that's what I'd love to avoid - any political or popular matter. I want to learn about you as people, who love what they do, and respectfully get into hunting, get some meat for my family, enjoying the outdoors, respecting nature and animals.

Thank you,

Mindaugas
Old 11-05-2023, 09:03 AM

A hint about your location might be in order.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:24 PM

Hey mins! It's not weird at all to ask for help. I was the same age as you when I started hunting, although I did grow up hiking and camping in Canada, and I've been shooting all my life. But the hunting part was new to me.

Good luck on your search for a buddy. Don't let it hold you back though, you must get out and start doing the basics as much as you can to learn it all. Even walking nature paths with a compass and GPS, or a map, and walking slowly and learning to observe what's around you is very helpful.

Cottus
Old 11-05-2023, 08:54 PM

List your approximate location, in southern Ab someone will probably take you gopher hunting. There's enough real world experience there to to acclimate you to whether hunting is actually your gig or not. Best of luck!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 11-06-2023, 10:28 AM

Join a local fish/game club. Example. SHERWOOD park fish/game. Meet hundreds of members.

Tags
g8894x