Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-26-2023, 10:27 AM

Default Bob creek hunting.

So I went out for the opening day at the South end of Bob creek. I saw a couple moose cows, couple elk cows, one spike bull, fair number of mule deer bucks to, mostly fork horn small 3 and 4 pointers. I didn't hear much shooting at all. I walked in and saw other hunters around, but didn't bump into any. When I left there were 48 vehicles in the parking lot and along the road way. There probably had been more the way they were spaced out along the road. There was about 7 big horse trailers and as many quad trailers. Where do all these people go? Is the hunting any better further in or just more crowded further back. lol.?
Old 10-26-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit4u View Post
So I went out for the opening day at the South end of Bob creek. I saw a couple moose cows, couple elk cows, one spike bull, fair number of mule deer bucks to, mostly fork horn small 3 and 4 pointers. I didn't hear much shooting at all. I walked in and saw other hunters around, but didn't bump into any. When I left there were 48 vehicles in the parking lot and along the road way. There probably had been more the way they were spaced out along the road. There was about 7 big horse trailers and as many quad trailers. Where do all these people go? Is the hunting any better further in or just more crowded further back. lol.?
From what I’ve seen a lot of folks setup some good sized tents and such on the way in so more than likely a few of those vehicles are together. There’s a few quad trails that go fairly far north there too so definitely some activity.

I was there a few years ago and saw a fella and his friend pull out a decent bill moose and they did it on fat bikes. Pretty impressive.
Old 10-26-2023, 01:36 PM

I would bet a lot of the Elk in Bob Creek end up on private ranches that don't allow hunting anymore. Elk figure out the safe zones pretty quick.
Old 10-30-2023, 02:51 PM

A friend of mine was in there on Sunday and said the same thing. 35 trucks in the parking area.
Maybe bob creek is porcupine hills overflow hunting area!
Old 10-30-2023, 10:54 PM

I’ve been out the in bow season and it’s busy but not that season. November 2020 I was there as well, 2-3 other vehicles but it was -26 the day we got there! Overall I’ve spent about 20 days in there and have seen some deer, called an elk or two in kinda sorta close but blew them out and seen a few. Big area, a lot of walkin… if it’s that busy it’s too much pressure for what’s in there.
Old 10-31-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
A friend of mine was in there on Sunday and said the same thing. 35 trucks in the parking area.
Maybe bob creek is porcupine hills overflow hunting area!
Could be. Was down there on Friday and it was a full parking lot and another 10+ vehicles along the road. A lot of folks just walking too so every direction inside the gate you looked you could see another person. Busiest I’ve ever seen. Hope everyone stays safe.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:38 AM

Hunted in 306 over weekend, had a legal bull run through a valley with a few cows, heard 7 shots on a running bull from all different directions, surprised no one else got shot. Bull looked like it took a shot to the hind as it was limping but made it up out of the valley
Old 11-08-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostinthewoods View Post
Hunted in 306 over weekend, had a legal bull run through a valley with a few cows, heard 7 shots on a running bull from all different directions, surprised no one else got shot. Bull looked like it took a shot to the hind as it was limping but made it up out of the valley

Elk hunting brings out the worst in some people.
There's a guy I no longer hunt with, you'll know why.....he gave me the play by play on his cow elk harvest. Long story short, at least 5 bullets struck this animal to kill it. The first couple of shots were at over 500M. Not an isolated incident. Similar stories from previous years.
Where's the ethics?
Old 11-08-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Elk hunting brings out the worst in some people.
There's a guy I no longer hunt with, you'll know why.....he gave me the play by play on his cow elk harvest. Long story short, at least 5 bullets struck this animal to kill it. The first couple of shots were at over 500M. Not an isolated incident. Similar stories from previous years.
Where's the ethics?
Sounds like the ethics are left back in the parking lot with those 48 vehicles...

I wouldn't cross the street to hunt in those kind of conditions.