Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2023, 01:12 PM

Default 349

Why the old man put his draw in there is beyond me. 5 days driving and walking in the judy creek area and didn’t see even a moose track.
Old 11-07-2023, 01:49 PM

Yes, there are no moose in 349.

But seriously, sorry to hear that. My son is still looking for one there this year. He is definitely finding the sign, just have to get the timing right. Hard to do on day trips.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:34 PM

Been a few years since I hunted in 349 but used to have quite a few moose sightings on the lease roads by chickadee creek just north west of whitecourt
Old 11-07-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Yes, there are no moose in 349.

But seriously, sorry to hear that. My son is still looking for one there this year. He is definitely finding the sign, just have to get the timing right. Hard to do on day trips.
You know what I really agree on the timing point you made. Countless times it is being in the right place at the right time that seals the deal. If you spend enough time you will stumble upon one eventually. Happy Hunting.
Old 11-09-2023, 10:21 AM

Default 349

Judy Creek /349 was a top moose zone in past years, however has suffered the "night hunter syndrome" by both 2 and 4 legged hunters like many of our top northwestern hunting WMU's.
Old 11-09-2023, 11:46 AM

Not seeing a bunch of moose sign driving roads, getting off the beaten track I'm finding sign though. My impression is that with the lack of cold weather they are behaving kind of lazy, not moving a ton and browsing mostly at night.

My own take on November moose behaviour is that they tend to hit the same feeding areas hard, in about the same order of prefference every year. Due to varying conditions though, it wont always be at precisely the same time. In places where I've pretty much always found them concentrated in November there is very little sign so far, which to me indicates that this pattern is running a bit late.

I think some bad weather to put the fear of winter back in them could turn things around on a dime... just try and be ready for it.

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-09-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 05:24 PM

I did some walking in off the virgina hills road the other day. No moose. Off to work for seven then try again.