Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 08:04 PM

Default Left and it cost me!

Went out to call for some yotes today.Usually my uncles on the calls and i just do the shooting for a few afternoons during moose camp.Thought it was high time to get out and try on my own.Went to WSS and got me a sceery cotton in distress , stopped at princess auto and found me a winter camo poncho and I was set.Hit the pasture and let her rip. Called for about 30 mins , a little windy so thought I'd pack it in and go for a ride before last light. Got back to the yard and was thanking the farmer for letting me out when I look across the pasture and what do I see.... Yep standing 20 yards from where I just was . Dirty rotten. Got the .204 from the truck and tried to get closer but he was goner.
Nice to know I was doing something right , just needed to sit for 10 minutes more.Missed out on a nice buck a few years ago by leaving a little early to go check a "better" spot.How many times have you blew it cause you just didn't stay a little longer? Hurts Let me know I'm not the only guy that has blown it .I'll stay a little longer in the a.m. tomorrow , that's for sure.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM

Good to hear that the yotees responded to your calls. I sat and called yesterday for a bout an hour total with no luck. But as far as messing up goes, just read some of my previous threads , yeah I have messed up bigtime. The worst is you always re-play the scenario a hundred times in your brain wondering what if you did things a bit differently.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:24 PM

That exact scenario just happened to me and a buddy yesterday. Sat at my stand for an hour calling, got up to move and hadn't gone 100 m when 2 yotes started sprinting away from this road allowance we hunt. 10 more minutes and we might have had a shot at 2. Your not alone my friend, not alone.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 AM

Murphy's Law for ya.
Better luck next time.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner