Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2023, 06:11 AM

Default New Rifle 6mm Creedmoor - Bitter Sweet

Sort of a bitter sweet acquisition, a few months ago a very dear friend of mine passed away, I spent many days sitting with him, his wife and daughters at the hospital watching the cancer slowly suck the life out of him, it was not pleasant but he was my friend and a dam good one at that.

His daughters had asked me if I would help them disperse his guns and supplies and get things cleaned up, when we started to organize his stuff there was 1 rifle that I could not bear to see going anywhere and that was his Insite arms custom build 6mm Creedmoor, so a deal was made and it came home with me.

I got out to shoot it a week or so ago and burned up a few of his handloads, I had shot it previously as he was in our group of long range shooters that made trips to nose hill and the river valley to shoot, so I knew it shot great.

Anyway don't want to bore you all with a long winded story but it is something else, it shoots tiny little bug holes when I do my part, I have his load data and some reloading supplies yet so yesterday I loaded up 187 of the remaining brass for my next trip to nose hill where I can really wring it out, man am I looking forward to that.

20231208_153136.jpg

20231208_153143.jpg

20231208_074650.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

A rifle that really means a lot and is a tack driver too almost as if he was looking over your shoulder and smiling.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-21-2023, 07:25 AM

Very nice. Is it too heavy to pack for coyotes?
Old 12-21-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Very nice. Is it too heavy to pack for coyotes?
OH yes it tips the scale just over 18 lbs. I'm to old to pack it very far

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:48 AM

Bittersweet is an apt description for sure.
Old 12-21-2023, 08:03 AM

Dang those are nice groups. I have a feeling your friends memory is going to live on for a very long time.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Sort of a bitter sweet acquisition, a few months ago a very dear friend of mine passed away, I spent many days sitting with him, his wife and daughters at the hospital watching the cancer slowly suck the life out of him, it was not pleasant but he was my friend and a dam good one at that.

His daughters had asked me if I would help them disperse his guns and supplies and get things cleaned up, when we started to organize his stuff there was 1 rifle that I could not bear to see going anywhere and that was his Insite arms custom build 6mm Creedmoor, so a deal was made and it came home with me.

I got out to shoot it a week or so ago and burned up a few of his handloads, I had shot it previously as he was in our group of long range shooters that made trips to nose hill and the river valley to shoot, so I knew it shot great.

Anyway don't want to bore you all with a long winded story but it is something else, it shoots tiny little bug holes when I do my part, I have his load data and some reloading supplies yet so yesterday I loaded up 187 of the remaining brass for my next trip to nose hill where I can really wring it out, man am I looking forward to that.

Attachment 188490

Attachment 188491

Attachment 188492
Losing a good pal is very tough. My condolences. I'm very happy you have that rifle , and an accurate one to boot.
Your groups with the 109 Berger's are impressive. Just got hands on 1000 109's and looking forward to test them Vs 105's.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:25 PM

With groups like that you wouldn't really need to pack it around for coyotes. Set up your table beside truck on edge of field, do some calling, shoot them from a half mile away. Or further. No walking required!

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-23-2023, 07:47 AM

I have several firearms that also carry some significant sentimental value. These are situations that the anti-gun crowd just doesn’t get. That piece carries with it memories of the person and the time you spent together. Many are simple firearms like a beat up single shot Cooey or lake field Mossberg 22 and have very little cash value but have a wealth of memories tied to them.