Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-30-2023, 05:11 PM

Default Ice Fishing Walleye Questions

Hello people. I am wondering how everyone attaches their line to a jig head w/minnow for ice fishing walleye. I have been using a snap, but wonder if I should be tying direct to be able to orientate the jig horizontally. With a snap it basically hangs vertical. Maybe that doesn't matter?

Another question: what is the best deadstick setup for walleye? I've been using a small weight, and a treble. Then rig a minnow horizontal.

Thanks for the help guys. Feel free to include any other Walleye ice fishing tips.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:47 PM

I don’t fish walleye often but when I do ice fish them I use a drop shot rig instead of a jig. That way I can use a bell sinker to pound the bottom if I want to jig or just let it dead stick. Pretty easy to run two minnows or a minnow and a different bait of choice

It works well enough that I don’t bother changing it but not a big ice fisherman and I only fish a little to make the wife happy

Those who are more diehard likely get fancier than I do
Old 12-30-2023, 06:06 PM

Often, the simplest method is the most effective. Enter the jig & minnow. There’s variants, but it’s the tried & true approach for a reason (snap or no snap). Location/depth is more important in my mind.
Old 12-30-2023, 06:43 PM

I fish strictly for walleye. On stained lakes in Manitoba I lean toward rattle baits on my active rod because the fish need to hear it to find it. On these gin clear AB lakes, I think the loud rattle is too aggressive. They respond better to the flash of a jigging spoon like a Buckshot or a PK Flutter. A smaller sized Dinner Bell is nice too. For the dead stick, it's really hard to beat a good jig n Minna! For me, to quote Mr Schick, "if it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use!"
Old 12-30-2023, 09:28 PM

I never use a snap on a jig head I tie directly to my line to hook. I only use a snap if I’m running a jiggin spoon. Dead stick methods like you are doin with the treble with a split shot is a good method forsure but I find walleye don’t like to feel any resistance what so ever when they hit the minnow they want to grab it and go so if you have a rod set up on your deadstick when they take off they feel the tension and drop it. I use just reels of line and put a pencil through the reel so it just free spools when they grab it you can also just put a bobber on the line and set it beside the reel so you can see or hear the bobber goin down when a fish grabs your minnow. Remember walleye in the winter are very sketchy and finicky. Fish prime times for them and I’m sure you will get a few. Afternoons and sunsets are by far the best.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:48 PM

Ya early morning and late evening... 7am and 7pm ish..... Always our best action on southern reservoirs. I agree about direct tie to a jig. If there's a snap swivel, it causes weird action on the lure. A lot less natural. And remember... The key is always to match the hatch. Whatever the fish are eating, that's what you want to be trying to present them.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:11 PM

I’ve had different results with walleye on presentations. I use a small snap swivel and have excellent results with just a jig and minnow. I fish a lot at Pigeon and they don’t seem to be as fussy. One tool I recommend is a jawjacker. A lot of times it out fishes the jigging routine. When the bite is slow the walleye take the easy meal. This is where I like to tie directly to the jig head when using the jawjacker. I like to use a rattlebait to catch the interest of fussy walleye as well. They seem to be annoyed by it and give it a bite. The best luck I have is with a jig and minnow darn near right on bottom. Try out different hooks/presentations and colours and soon you will be reeling them in. As a side note I use braid as a main line and tie flouro on as a leader.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
As a side note I use braid as a main line and tie flouro on as a leader.
Always... For everything. 10lb Power Pro mainline with 2ft of Seguar fluoro leader. Always always always.
Old 12-30-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I’ve had different results with walleye on presentations. I use a small snap swivel and have excellent results with just a jig and minnow. I fish a lot at Pigeon and they don’t seem to be as fussy. One tool I recommend is a jawjacker. A lot of times it out fishes the jigging routine. When the bite is slow the walleye take the easy meal. This is where I like to tie directly to the jig head when using the jawjacker. I like to use a rattlebait to catch the interest of fussy walleye as well. They seem to be annoyed by it and give it a bite. The best luck I have is with a jig and minnow darn near right on bottom. Try out different hooks/presentations and colours and soon you will be reeling them in. As a side note I use braid as a main line and tie flouro on as a leader.
I love the jaw jacker but I do find when using them for walleye you do get a lot of misses cause walleye like to short bite the minnow. That’s when a stinger comes into play. On the other hand the jiggin jaw jacker works very well for walleye. Last time out it out fished me and my buddy. I always have an active jiggin rod and a dead line. I do think jiggin on certain days is more effective then the deadstick so let the fish tell you what they like for the day your out.
Old 12-31-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Always... For everything. 10lb Power Pro mainline with 2ft of Seguar fluoro leader. Always always always.
How do you tie your leader on ?
Old 12-31-2023, 08:27 AM

Default Good info

Tons of good info here, thanks guys.

For those using braid, are you only using in your tents? I find braid to stick to my reel when outside.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:25 AM

I never use braid when ice fishn As to tie on I use the quick release which enables me to change jigs in seconds and is easy for me as my vision up close is no where near what it used to be so I only have to tie on once.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
Hello people. I am wondering how everyone attaches their line to a jig head w/minnow for ice fishing walleye. I have been using a snap, but wonder if I should be tying direct to be able to orientate the jig horizontally. With a snap it basically hangs vertical. Maybe that doesn't matter?

Another question: what is the best deadstick setup for walleye? I've been using a small weight, and a treble. Then rig a minnow horizontal.

Thanks for the help guys. Feel free to include any other Walleye ice fishing tips.
Tie your mainline to a good quality, small barrel swivel that can run thru your rod guides then tie on 3 to 4 ft of 6# fluorocarbon for a leader. Direct tie your jig to the leader, I use a Polymer knot in all cases. Gently pre-stretch your leader line by hand a little bit to straighten out and remove any coiling. I find big exaggerated lifts and falls work well to bring in fish from a distance. Once you see one come in on your flasher or camera a lot of times they want to chase it so a slow and steady lift with some little wiggles will usually seal the deal if your presentation looks good enough. Adjust based on fish reactions. If they are short striking and nipping your minnow off try a stinger hook on a whole minnow or shorten your presentation and use just half a minnow or jig with a shorter shank. Good luck

Last edited by PerchBuster; 12-31-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:12 AM

From reading this thread, it assures me that I am on the right approach, give or take a few other pointers.

- fluoro leader
- whole horizontal minnow
- rattler with a minnow, to change things up when it gets quiet
- quick snap release
- 100% braid, minus the fluoro leader or course
- long shank jig head, as for the color, green is good, but no real specific preference.
- if the bite is slow and as the bright sun rises, I will move from my initial water depth to about 10' deeper.

I tend to nurse a hole longer than I should before I move....Any comments on my approach?

Good exchange of information, it is always good to see what works for others.

Thanks,

Good luck

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 12-31-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-31-2023, 10:22 AM

I have no issues with braid freezing, but if you're really concerned then go with Power Pro Ice Braid. Tie to leader line with a uni to uni knot. Never fails if you do it right. You can't beat the sensitivity of braid for those subtle bites.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:47 PM

If your always fishing out side I wouldn’t run braid because of the freeze up factor. I find mono in 6-8 pound is all a guy needs if your fishing outside all the time. Ice will build up but sliding it down or right off it comes sliding fingers down it. As for feel and sensitivity if you’ve fished long enough or have electronics you will feel every bite and or see the bite. I know others will say your crazy still running mono but that’s all I have ever run cause I believe in bein efficient on the ice and on boat. Watching my friends looking for scissors to cut line then taking 10 minutes to tie a hook on is just down right brutal. Mono just bite it off and tie and your fishing again. To many people fall into the gimmicks of you tube and you must do this do that. Fish equipment that fits your needs and keep it simple is the best advice anyone can take.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:53 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

All I know is to bring a variety of presentations etc cus ya never know what’s going to be the ticket to entice the bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-31-2023, 07:40 PM

I’d say you should get a camera. What it will show you and what you’ll learn will answer many of your questions.
Actually seeing fish inspect your lure, or never come close is very helpful. What triggers them to strike more often, what they like on any given day isn’t necessarily what they want the next.
Sometimes you’ll think the walleye are being picky only to see that it’s a few perch dodging your enormous jig.
I used to be fairly dismissive about how helpful a camera was, but once you get a good day or two where you can see a few interact with your presentation, you’re much more effective.
A flasher, or any sonar is just another form of a camera, yet far less informative. It also adds way more thrill to fishing. Unless you’re just staring at a screen all day with no company.
A camera is also great for finding locations. When you see a larger stone or some kind of structure, you have another advantage that anything but LiveScope can show you.

Funny story, the first time I seen a good clear image of a pike approaching my lure, I pulled it up and away. It was from just a knee jerk reaction to the ugly monster that suddenly appeared, and filled my screen. Pike will often nudge and try to bite the camera, which is entertainment at least.

Once you catch a couple, try to experiment with different things. Horizontally, vertical, on bottom, quick jigs, dead stick, etc. one detail that’s helpful to know is that a fair portion of Walleye, and more so pike strikes are “anger” strikes. Either from annoyance alone, or territorial attacks.
I will often put on a rattle crankbait let it hit bottom, then rip it up and repeat a couple times. Then I’ll either switch rods and jig a minnow, or switch lures if I have to.
As to the hardware, I will try with one but if things are slow I’ll tie directly. I use ice braid or fireline to a flouro leader. I like to tie an “FG knot” between the two, but I won’t usually tie that while fishing. A double Uni does the trick. I have a hard time trusting tiny swivels as sometimes a monster will come by and bite your lure.
Old 12-31-2023, 08:01 PM

Default Ice Fishing Walleye Questions

https://youtu.be/Xt2wB7H_9Zw?si=I_x9qo_Ayoh0EN9Y

I’ve been tying this different until I recently found this video and gave it a few tries. The trick for me is to keep the leader wraps neat. Take a moment and semi cinch each one so there all nice and tight to each other.

I will leave more leader than I would if I was using a uni, as if I need to cut off a few inches, I can do so a few times before needing another FG. I’ve had a single FG last months and it’s never failed me. It’s much stronger than a swivel that will pass through eyelets and you don’t have to worry about the swivel hitting your rod.

A tip regarding cameras is to not get too caught up in it all. I’ve made videos, and it started to feel like I was filming a documentary rather than fishing. You also don’t need the latest model or spend a fortune. I have a few and the one I got from AliExpress for $150 works just as good as my Marcum. Not as tough, or neat, but effective.
Old 12-31-2023, 09:51 PM

I love my Av715c but there is no question it spooks quality walleye. If you're going to use one (and I do) then th best bet is to have it above the fish, pointed down at a 45 degree angle. Less obtrusive that way. But yes you can learn so much about fish behaviour from it.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
I love my Av715c but there is no question it spooks quality walleye. If you're going to use one (and I do) then th best bet is to have it above the fish, pointed down at a 45 degree angle. Less obtrusive that way. But yes you can learn so much about fish behaviour from it.

Great point. I had to force myself to not use mine all the time actually. Even when it’s above it can potentially keep fish away. Heck, a split shot or a loud fart can spook walleye. lol
I like to put mine say 2-3 feet away and check out what my action looks like. Sometimes I’ll mark the screen, my line or just pay notice to what my flasher or sonar shows when my minnow is actually on bottom and what an inch or two up look like.
I’ll often keep it there recording because I’m a photography junkie. Yet it I don’t see anything for awhile, I’ll pull it up and look down. You need clear water and or a good camera to see fish from above, so quite often the above view isn’t possible.
If I know a wave of fish are coming by and I got one or 2, I’ll often drop the camera back down and see how quick they’re hitting it. Or if they’re staring at it for awhile.
If I don’t get action after awhile, having a look to see if there’s a fat lazy pike hanging around and keeping active fish away is something I’ll do.

As to the minnow on jig details, I will often go through the eyes, then back just through the middle so the minnow is perpendicular to the jig. I find Pigeon walleyes especially like that. I think it appears as two minnows fighting or one eating the other and distracted. It also keeps the minnow firm and not dead floating. Yet obviously that could be the opposite as to what they like today here or there. Hence the camera to see what today’s fish want.
I use a jigging spoon with a couple inches of line between the spoon and the treble, more than a jig. Letting the spoon hit bottom and kick up a bit of silt works well. I’ll try and puppeteer the spoon to look like it’s chowing down on the minnow and oblivious to danger. After a bit of that I pull it all up and let the minnow dangle just above bottom.
Sometimes staring at a screen for too long begins to hypnotize me and playing puppets with lures is the only sense of stimuli, lol.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:53 PM

I use a snap as I make fluorocarbon leaders to keep pike from biting me off.

Four of us kept our limit and threw over 100 walleye back the other day so I don’t think it hurts me any to use the snap.
Old 01-03-2024, 01:13 PM

When using a flourocarbon leader for pike, what weight do you use? Do you retie after each fish? I'm concerned about them biting through.
Old 01-03-2024, 02:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I use 20 lbs flouro leader and check it every time I catch a fish.
I use about 20 inches of flouro leader and if nicks or abrasions are close to the lure I just cut and retie.
Always check your line etc after each fish or periodically for abrasion’s and nicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...