Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2024, 07:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Crickets from the OP since the thread started. Too much speculation at this point on what they actually meant. But I I wouldn’t say taking about ethics is imparting their personal convictions. I’ve told hunters they need to practice shooting a bow or rifle before because they are being unethical turning an animal into Swiss cheese, a pin cushion or throwing rounds at a herd on the run because they’re too lazy arrogant or indifferent to practice and be proficient with their weapon. It doesn’t matter that they claim it will eventually die, you owe it to that animal to end its suffering as quick and painless as possible. Prolonging suffering is unethical period! I have no issue with someone whose job is conservation and overall animal welfare calling someone out and educating them on their poor practices.
Agree.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-07-2024, 08:36 AM

The reason they want them dead is so if you catch a bigger one you don’t put back the smaller one
Old 01-07-2024, 08:37 AM

COs are well within their rights to tell you to dispatch fish instead of leaving them on the ice or in a boat struggling for air since it’s illegal to cause an animal unnecessary suffering.
They then can & should issue you a ticket if you don’t follow their direction to dispatch the fish immediately. It’s part of their job , within their discretion how they approach it, so if asked just do it & if not don’t disillusion yourself that it’s ok and not their job to bother you.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Think I'll start random topic threads and come back months later to see how it turned out...
been a whole 3 days, did you forget to change calendars? some people actually go outdoors on their weekends
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-07-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
I bonk them asap if the plan is to keep them, no need to make them suffocate is there? Does the meat taste better that way?
Just the very best way to do it. I hate seeing fish flop around until they die.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Contrary to the opinions of some here:
Fish are not wildlife;
Alberta has a Fisheries Act and a Wildlife Act which supports the bullet point above;
Do fish feel pain? https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...%20humans%20do.
Do stress hormones affect the taste of fish? Over 205 billion commercially caught fish suffocate every year so I don't believe that there is any evidence of taste being affected by suffocation.
There is nothing in the Fisheries Act or the Regulations that requires anglers to kill their fish while still on the water (ice).
Now back to the OP: The're is nothing in the Fisheries Act or the Regulations that requires anglers to take their fish off the ice after catching them.
The OP said nothing about being in a boat, a canoe or a kayak. But if asked about that scenario...every fish that enters my watercraft gets whacked good. For my own comfort and safety.
Not directly related to the original question but if I intentionally injure or maim a fish (e.g. cutting off a fin or taking out an eye) during catch and release, is there anything a CO can do? I couldn’t find anything in the Act or Regulation mentioning anything of the sort.
Old 01-07-2024, 07:56 PM

I used to bonk them, now it’s a knife in the brain. They flip once and they never even twitch again. A good death.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akn View Post
Not directly related to the original question but if I intentionally injure or maim a fish (e.g. cutting off a fin or taking out an eye) during catch and release, is there anything a CO can do? I couldn’t find anything in the Act or Regulation mentioning anything of the sort.
The fine is $100 ref
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...wbdisable=true
Old 01-07-2024, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
COs are well within their rights to tell you to dispatch fish instead of leaving them on the ice or in a boat struggling for air since it’s illegal to cause an animal unnecessary suffering.
They then can & should issue you a ticket if you don’t follow their direction to dispatch the fish immediately. It’s part of their job , within their discretion how they approach it, so if asked just do it & if not don’t disillusion yourself that it’s ok and not their job to bother you.
Your opinion or? There is nothing in the Act or Regulations to back up your opinion. In order to issue a ticket there has to be a "Prescribed Offense".

These are the Prescribed Offenses for which a ticket can be issued https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...wbdisable=true
Old 01-08-2024, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Thank you
Old 01-08-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
been a whole 3 days, did you forget to change calendars? some people actually go outdoors on their weekends
Fair enough. I did check the post history and it says it all. If I'm proven wrong I'll be glad to apologize for my comments.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Just the very best way to do it. I hate seeing fish flop around until they die.
Not tryin to get off-topic, but I don't even let insects suffer. Just sayin.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I just noticed it says for unauthorized fish. Could be interpreted as if it was a legal keeper that you chose to release, there is no recourse?