Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-07-2024, 07:40 AM

Default Sylvan Lake Whites/Perch Video

https://youtu.be/aZ47mlbMcok

I don't fish for Whitefish often, so I usually depend on some tips from other online acquaintances when it comes to these critters.

Last year Mike Binns Pointed me to Sylvan lake. JAN 2023 my father in law and I tried without luck. We saw a few swim by without catching any.

Fast forward almost 365 days to December 2023 and it was a whole different story. I parked the vehicle on the ice and walked out to the spot. Started drilling holes and I was in 14 feet of water... so I drilled toward shore to get into 8 feet of water.

I was marking perch and whites in 9 to 10 feet. So I set up the tent. Saw a few whitefish pass without interest. Caught a 9 inch perch and lots of little ones.

The morning produced no whitefish for me. Fortunately, the afternoon brought on a fantastic bite.

I finally started catching fish on a yellow wire worm above a Northland Tackle Rattl'n Flyer Spoon.

I actually hooked 2 on the wire worm and another 7 on the spoon. They like movement, and small jiggles seemed to do the trick.

Keeping the rig a couple feet off the bottom to half way up the column worked well.

The limit is 5 and they are very nice quality whites. We smoked some and made stuffed jellied fish with the rest. The fish was excellent!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-07-2024, 09:18 AM

Looks like ya had a great day. I’m glad to see ya posting on fishing the central Alberta lakes!I learned a lot from all your videos and they were entertaining as well. I hope to see many more with you and the family. Best of luck on all your adventures
Old 01-07-2024, 09:27 AM

Thanks for posting that video.

Question did you drive on at Sun Breaker or RR23 and how thick was the ice where you drove on and where you fished?

THANKS
Old 01-07-2024, 09:51 AM

Looks like it was a good day. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2024, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Looks like ya had a great day. I’m glad to see ya posting on fishing the central Alberta lakes!I learned a lot from all your videos and they were entertaining as well. I hope to see many more with you and the family. Best of luck on all your adventures
Thanks, I'm a transient though. There briefly and gone. Glad I was there during the nice weather and fishing was great.

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 01-07-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Thanks for posting that video.

Question did you drive on at Sun Breaker or RR23 and how thick was the ice where you drove on and where you fished?

THANKS
This was back on December 26th I believe. At that time nobody was driving on the ice. We were just driving on and parking right by the shore. Where I was there was probably 10 inches back then. I'm sure there is plenty more by now. Probably some vehicles out there I'd assume. This is neither Sunbreaker or rr 23. I don't think the place I drove on has a name. Like I said I've only been to the lake twice so not familiar with the access points.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:53 PM

Default Great video

Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great day.

What knot do you use on the wire worm to set it horizontal and then down to your spoon? Thanks.
Old 01-07-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
Thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a great day.

What knot do you use on the wire worm to set it horizontal and then down to your spoon? Thanks.
Nothing special. Just a Trilene knot. Pretty much use it for most knots I tie. A nice tight knot let's you position the wire worm however you want and gets it to sit nice and horizontal.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Nothing special. Just a Trilene knot. Pretty much use it for most knots I tie. A nice tight knot let's you position the wire worm however you want and gets it to sit nice and horizontal.

Gotcha, thanks.

So you are just leaving the tag end long and tying your spoon to that?
Old 01-07-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1982 View Post
Gotcha, thanks.

So you are just leaving the tag end long and tying your spoon to that?

Yup I tie it with like 16 inches of a tag line end. The hook above is tied right inline onto the main line. The spoon is tied to the end of the tag line end. Leave as long a tag line as you want between your spoon and wire worm. You can have up to three on a line in Alberta so you could tie two wire worms above if you want. I find if you have too many sometimes one gets hooked on the ice when reeling in and you can lose the fish.

So risk reward for more lures.

Super easy to tie this way though. Can tie a leader with a swivel and then keep it wrapped on a leader keeper as well. So you can changed easily.

Old 01-07-2024, 09:47 PM

Great video, enjoyed it
Old 01-08-2024, 08:25 AM

Nice! Congrats on the great day out. Thanks for putting up the report and video.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice! Congrats on the great day out. Thanks for putting up the report and video.

No Problem, Hope someone can catch a whitefish after seeing this. When they cooperate its not too challenging. Then you go another day and can't buy a bite.