Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Two years ago, a friend from Fort McMurray couldn't find 30-06 ammunition anywhere in the city, but he said they had plenty of 6.5CM.
Quote:
Fort McMurray has a very limited number of vendors that sell ammunition, so it doesn't take much effort to check the vendors. And the toilet paper shortage was well past by then. Lol The point is, that 30-06 isn't guaranteed to be available, and cartridges like the 6.5CM seem to be just as easy, if not easier to find in the last few years.

This is from 2022 The 6.5CM seems to have become the most popular selling big game cartridge today.

https://backfire.tv/popular-cartridges/
Both of those observations could very well be cases of survivorship bias. It is possible that in both cases, an assumption is being made from evaluating the left overs. Rather than looking at what is left on the shelf, you need to ask what stock was ordered, what already arrived, and what has sold.

OT- It's quite telling when the 10 second sound bite generation asks where did the 30-06 go? A little research will show that the most common hunting cartridges in North America are the 30-30 and the 30-06. Neither are sexy, neither get written about by the latest flavour of the day gun writers, and more importantly, neither are the focus of the army of marketing propagandists who insist you couldn't possibly hunt without their new state of the art, physics defying cartridge.

IMO In the hands of a capable shooter who understands their particular cartridge of choice, they are all good hunting rounds. Some have just been around longer than others.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-02-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Both of those observations could very well be cases of survivorship bias. It is possible that in both cases, an assumption is being made from evaluating the left overs. Rather than looking at what is left on the shelf, you need to ask what stock was ordered, what already arrived, and what has sold.

OT- It's quite telling when the 10 second sound bite generation asks where did the 30-06 go? A little research will show that the most common hunting cartridges in North America are the 30-30 and the 30-06. Neither are sexy, neither get written about by the latest flavour of the day gun writers, and more importantly, neither are the focus of the army of marketing propagandists who insist you couldn't possibly hunt without their new state of the art, physics defying cartridge.

IMO In the hands of a capable shooter who understands their particular cartridge of choice, they are all good hunting rounds. Some have just been around longer than others.
If you go to the link, they actually list online ammunition sales, so more than an assumption.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:01 AM

Pretty sure the absence of 3006 ammo in Ft. Mac was a temporary thing, way too many people up here shooting factory 3006.
Cat
Old 04-02-2024, 10:04 AM

As a kid, my BIL used to buy me a Gun Digest or Shooter's Bible every Xmas, mid 60's to 70's so, I read those til blue in the face. I was hooked on a 7RM at that time as it was only 4-5yrs old and all the rage, so was magnumitis. The custom gun guys were converting the P17 and Mauser 98's to almost anything but 30-06, Enfield 303's had somewhat gained a rep for needing a barrel and had chamber issues, so they weren't "the cool gun", unless you had Epps fix it. Closest I ever came to buying a 30-06 was a 270 in about 1969-70, never even bought a 30cal til about 2012, even then, it was only because the guns happened to be only available in a 30cal or it was the closest to what I wanted for performance, I wanted the guns, not so much the cartridge choices I got. Still don't have a 30-06, 30R Blaser is about as close as I'll get. For whatever reason, I developed an aversion to 30cal stuff, shot them in various forms, never liked them, til I actually got a couple. For year round use,I still prefer the smaller stuff.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:12 AM

Geez you guys talking about 30-06 and choices.

You must be all right handed shooters.

When I bought my hunting rifle I had 3 great caliber choices for left handed people.

Choice 1 was 30-06. Choice 2 was 30-06. And finally 30-06. If I didn't like those 3 top choices, the other choices were 30-06.

Was a well stocked gun store too. It's not around anymore but its name rhymed with All-sale Snorts.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
If you go to the link, they actually list online ammunition sales, so more than an assumption.
I found and read the entire link the day this thread was posted; it is designed much like a modern opinion poll: They are designed to influence public opinion, not measure it.
The key tell is they used online sales instead of total manufacturing output and retail sales volume. There are literally dozens of us that do not purchase very much online.

Is the 6.5 Creedmoor a great round? Yes it is.
Will it, or another new cartridge eventually outpace the old workhorses we grew up with? Possibly, time will tell.
Until that happens, advertisers and marketing propagandists will continue to champion the products that they get paid to promote.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-02-2024, 02:32 PM

Wherever it went it left all its brass behind at my local range, second only to the 308 which I also pick up, and far ahead of all the others, save 223 and 7.62x39
Old 04-02-2024, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
I found and read the entire link the day this thread was posted; it is designed much like a modern opinion poll: They are designed to influence public opinion, not measure it.
The key tell is they used online sales instead of total manufacturing output and retail sales volume. There are literally dozens of us that do not purchase very much online.

Is the 6.5 Creedmoor a great round? Yes it is.
Will it, or another new cartridge eventually outpace the old workhorses we grew up with? Possibly, time will tell.
Until that happens, advertisers and marketing propagandists will continue to champion the products that they get paid to promote.
The 6.5 Creedmoor really ,I have one brand new made by Christensen Arms with zeiss v4 on it . Was given to me as gift and I'm to ashamed to tell my brother you wasted your money . Really I won't be seen carrying one. Now walking around with a nice 3006 that's a gun worth being seen with . I'd wouldn't be embarrassed to carry the thing,now 6.5 prc or even the older 6.5 x55 which dropped a few moose is good .

Maybe all the hype about it ,to much hype on anything is like a big flag saying stay away from me.Yuppy rifle maybe . Woke caliber that's it.