Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 08:58 AM

Default repairing grandpa's gun

I need an ejector gun port for a 742 remington woodsman .308
this journey started with a custom made scabbard for horseback made for my dear friend who is now in a home with dementia. I could write a book on this guy but essentially he drained his small bank account so he could afford this scabbard and he used to guide up the panther river in the 80s. he loved it dearly. in order to fit a gun to it my uncle offered up this .308 but I had to go to Ontario to get it. the smith says it needs this ejector port. this is to be the saddle/camp gun as in Nordegg area fishing you need to watch your 6.
can one of you fellas put me in touch with a guy how knows a guy.
Tom Picherack
Old 05-03-2024, 09:07 AM

Pictures please.

The Ejection port isn’t a gun part, btw.

I think the rifle needs an ejector, but your confounding terminology is making a diagnosis or any recommendation very difficult.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-03-2024, 09:08 AM

Remington parts are getting VERY hard to find. My first step would be to look up the part on Numrich's site and get the exact part number. Not sure from your post whether you need the ejector port cover or the ejector itself, but they have both and they do ship to Canada. However, once I had the right part number I would call Western Gun Parts in Edmonton and see if they have one. Will be a lot faster than importing.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...rifles-rem/742
Old 05-03-2024, 12:39 PM

It’s called ejection port cover. Note the model
7400 is not the same .
The part is a bit difficult to put in as the barrel must be removed . Word of caution if pulling the bolt out of firearm several bolt pieces ( small) will fall off .
Suggest it should be done by someone who has experience with them. May as well clean everything while it’s apart
Old 05-03-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
It’s called ejection port cover. Note the model
7400 is not the same .
The part is a bit difficult to put in as the barrel must be removed . Word of caution if pulling the bolt out of firearm several bolt pieces ( small) will fall off .
Suggest it should be done by someone who has experience with them. May as well clean everything while it’s apart
I knew those 742s were no fun to work on but having to pull the barrel is really inconvienient. Glad I have never owned one.