What's your best or fav
and why ???
Many models
Seems quality for awhile now
Or is it a wish list
Pic's welcome
Old 05-02-2024, 06:46 PM

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 05-02-2024 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:52 PM

Default I have a few.

I have a finlight that I turned into a 6.5x55. Threw a mcmillan stock on it. Nice handling gun.
I also have a 338-06 and a 280ai, both build off the AV actions. Pretty much throw a barrel on them and be done. No truing or anything like that needed. Those are sitting in the fiberclass stocks. They come in a little heavy with the barrel profiles I picked. But I don't mind the weight at all. I don't sheep hunt but walk alot of miles and don't notice it.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 05-04-2024, 11:12 AM

Dick284, nice cutters on that Pronghorn.

________

I have several Sako rifles, all of them have smooth cycling, none of the ejection/extraction problems reported by guys that do not own Sakos, and the accuracy is amazing with nearly any load. Mine are all 85s but I also love the 75s and I am always on the search, but not many guys are willing to part with them.

85 Finnlight/270WSM - This was my first Sako. Light and accurate with a big punch. Easy to carry all day. This one has been on hunts in every terrain. As much as I love this rifle, I simply do not carry it as it was replaced by a custom build. My only complaint about the Finnlight is the flex in the forearm of the stock as this is not ideal for shooting from a bipod. But, it does very well offhand or resting over a pack or log.

85 Hunter/300WSM - Pretty rifle but I never warmed up to the cartridge and sold it a few years back.

85 Bavarian Carbine/30-06 - Classy rifle and a head-turner. A little heavy but this only goes with me on short walks or when sitting on a cutline or the edge of a small field. Tight groups with anything from 140 to 190 grains.

85 Finnlight 2/300WinMag - Another great rifle but I did not warm up to this one. I did appreciate the adjustable stock. Parted ways with it due to a custom build that has become my main rifle.

85 Stainless Synthetic/270Win - Bought this second hand with the intent of building a 35Whelen but the accuracy was so amazing that I could not bring myself to scrap this rifle for the build. It has become my favourite of the bunch and has taken a pile of whitetails, mulies, and a beauty Pronghorn. I like this model the most as a stock, unmodified rifle. The weight difference between it and the Finnlight is less than a half pound and although the stocks appear the same, the Stainless Synthetic stock is more rigid than that on the Finnlight, making it ideal for shooting from a bipod as there is no flex to forearm.

85 Blackwolf/7RemMag - Nice rig, but I dropped it into a McMillan. The laminate stock is nice as it is adjustable for comb height and length of pull but it is not conducive to being shouldered for long hikes.

90 Adventure/308 - Not my rig, but I mounted an optic on it for a colleague and got it dialed in on paper. Nice rifle, and I really appreciate the new pic rail on the receiver and the adjustable comb as used on the Finnlight 2, but not worth the listed $3400 off the rack. As much as I love Sako rifles, including the older models, they are priced too high.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:18 PM
Suspended User

U right about Dick's lope . I missed that looking at the rifle .. very nice
There's one that has eluded me ,
The Finnwolf , if ever i could find
Old 05-04-2024, 10:37 PM

My favorite gopher slayer has always been my Sako Vixen in .222

Picked it up way back in 1984 as a high school graduation gift for myself from Plainsman Sports in Lethbridge.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-04-2024, 11:10 PM

Nice goat, Dick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I have several Sako rifles, all of them have smooth cycling, none of the ejection/extraction problems reported by guys that do not own Sakos, and the accuracy is amazing with nearly any load. Mine are all 85s but I also love the 75s and I am always on the search, but not many guys are willing to part with them.
Lol.

Finnlight 85 in 7-08:

A7 in 30-06, the day I received in the mail a few years ago (I think there is a pic of it scoped kicking around somewhere, but not sure where):

Old 05-05-2024, 07:42 AM

Rare Left Hand Full Stock in 30-06, made BEFORE they were bought out. I believe the rifles made before the buyout were much better products. To be fair however, one of the great things about Sako, and Tikka, then and now, is they make probably the largest selection of Left Handed guns of any single manufacturer.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Rare Left Hand Full Stock in 30-06, made BEFORE they were bought out. I believe the rifles made before the buyout were much better products. To be fair however, one of the great things about Sako, and Tikka, then and now, is they make probably the largest selection of Left Handed guns of any single manufacturer.

that is a sweet looking rifle. Just screams bush hunter! Love it.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post

Picked it up way back in 1984 as a high school graduation gift for myself from Plainsman Sports in Lethbridge.

[IMG][/IMG]
Cool little rifles , see you have the Burris scope and Conetrol rings . Nice outfit .
Old 05-05-2024, 11:03 PM

I've got an AV in 7mm mag, a 75 in 300 RUM.
Both with beautiful wood furniture.
Accurate, and have had no issues with either.
I do shoot both often, but primarily archery hunt these days.
On the lever side, I generally carry my 348, I have looked at a few FinnWolf, all three were in rough shape.
I did see one at the RD Gun Show this weekend it, was a nice representation, but was priced above what I was willing to shell out at the time. So for now, the .348 will continue to be afield.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:14 AM

I bought me first new hunting rifle in 1985 ish,
A Sako L61? Hunter in 25 06, nice walnut,
Later I Bought a Sako 75 SS in 7MM for Elk.
Both have treated me well,
My buddy has an older Sako Delux 243, Now thats a nice light short action rifle, Way lighter than my 25 06,
Old 05-06-2024, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
I have the exact same rifle as well as its little brother with the sporter barrel. Both shoot lights out.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.