Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2024, 12:30 AM

Default Regulations

Find it odd ya can't get the new regulations on line .
Old 05-13-2024, 06:36 AM

Because they are not done yet. I heard June/July time frame. Last years are the rules for now.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:25 AM

Wow that's pretty late.....

So the lakes in the North that opened May 15th last year will open this Wednesday correct?
Old 05-13-2024, 09:26 AM

That would be correct.
Old 05-13-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
That would be correct.
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2024, 12:57 PM

Would be nice if we could use our old 2023 fishing licence since we have to follow the old 2023 fishing regs .
Old 05-15-2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Would be nice if we could use our old 2023 fishing licence since we have to follow the old 2023 fishing regs .

Haha!
Old 05-15-2024, 10:23 PM

I’ve heard there is gonna be an increase in pike retention. All political and not biologists making the decisions. Have to wait and see if rumours are true.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:45 PM

The new rules come out every single year.
If you can't figure it out in time, leave it as is, and try for next year.
Just saying
"We've got nothing" is beyond ridiculous.
I really feel if they can't do their job, why should I have to pay for my license just the same?
Now tourists are coming over, buying licenses, and asking what the rules are, and we're telling them
"Uhhh, just use last year's. See if you can find a second hand book somewhere".
Yeah, we're a world class fishery, and we're really serious about the regulations.
Unless we don't get around to it.

It's disgusting.
It's embarrassing.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:42 AM

I have had the chance to talk to 2 great fish cops over the past few weeks and even they have no idea what is happening. They also made it very clear that they are totally left out of the loop. They're not consulted or asked for their opinions based in the their everyday experience and years of seeing up front how things are in the "Real World". As a matter of fact they don't even get updates regarding changes or other matters regarding regs. It's up to them to keep checking...kinda like us...to insure they are in the know as to the current regs. One guy admitted that he has been "Educated" of the current regs by guys on the water....so Ya...its a total S##t Show and in my opinion totally run by people who have no idea how it actually is in the real world and in the end, it blows back on us, cause we as voters hired them...I even heard a rumor that the regs are late due to an APP being developed to deliver the new regs...but the development is not going well....ArriveCan sound familiar???

Last edited by thorne; 05-16-2024 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:47 AM

The lack of regulations this year clearly shows how improvement Alberta fisheries management is needed
Old 05-16-2024, 05:01 PM

I'm not surprised by the officers not knowing much about what's happening. Since they were transferred to the Justice and Solicitor General Dept., several years ago now, they pretty well lost most contact with biologists and f&w decision makers. Since the UCP decided to move Hunting and Fishing allocation from Environment and Protected Areas to Forestry, Parks and Tourism, leaving the biologists doing the population and other research (e.g., disease, habitat) in AEP, the old Fish & Wildlife Division is now broken up into three different departments. If I know anything about how government works, communication between departments is minimal. A lot of the decisions that used to be made by the people closest to the resources will now be political--in my opinion.
Old 05-16-2024, 07:57 PM

In Canada professional staff is reluctant (loath) to consult with enforcement or other stakeholders like fishermen themselves.

Contrast the situation with the State of Montana who work closely together (professionals, technicians enforcement etc) and consult widely with the public (stakeholders). The biologists naturally make the call but everyone is treated respectfully and their ideas are listened to.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:44 AM

It used to be that way in the Alberta Fish and Wildlife Division, back in the '80s and '90s when I worked there. Officers and biologists worked in the same offices and knew what was happening in their districts. If you came in to buy a licence you could have a conversation with an officer or biologist about the regulations, etc. Officers and biologists were encouraged to go to meetings of local fish & game clubs and make presentations and answer questions, etc. Lots of exchanges with anglers and hunters about what they were seeing. Don't see that anymore.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
It used to be that way in the Alberta Fish and Wildlife Division, back in the '80s and '90s when I worked there. Officers and biologists worked in the same offices and knew what was happening in their districts. If you came in to buy a licence you could have a conversation with an officer or biologist about the regulations, etc. Officers and biologists were encouraged to go to meetings of local fish & game clubs and make presentations and answer questions, etc. Lots of exchanges with anglers and hunters about what they were seeing. Don't see that anymore.
Agreed. And this online pre-submitted Q&A with no ability to converse directly is just plain stupid. And even that crap show ain't happening anymore either.

Does anyone know if this is the end of the 5th year of what they called the slot size study for walleye? If it is that is likely delaying things as well.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:19 AM

I quit filling out their Q&A forms years ago when I came to realize your comments aren't really wanted. The decision's already been made and the only reason the questionnaire has been sent to stakeholders is to satisfy the requirement of consultation.