Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2023, 09:54 PM

I ruptured my neck 20+ years ago and suffered from nerve pain ever since. I tried cortisone shots and nerve blockers with no success. Last year I saw a neurologist that advised me to try an over the counter suppliment. Folic Acid. I found it did give me some relief if taken regularly.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-08-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingiu View Post
Don't let it fester, is all I can say. Be an advocate for yourself and push your medical professionals hard for answers. Don't play your pain down and put on a tough face for the doc; if it's interfering with your life, it needs to be looked at. It's hard when a baggy of NSAIDs or opiates is the default "shoo-away".

10 years in and my carpentry career has ended after several years of decline, despite honest and expensive attempts at physio, chiro, massage, exercise, and trigger point injections. X-rays, bone scans show no obvious damage. Always active, always fighting through the pain, figured everyone in the trades felt this way.

The two most helpful treatments I have found - self-directed stretching/exercise, and dry needling. Dry needling really lets me "see" through the tight muscles and identify what is so painful beneath.

Currently jumping through the hoops to get an MRI. Even if I pay for it out of pocket, still need that physician's requisition. Seems our medical system is hellbent on providing every form of care except meaningful imaging.
I went to my doc and got an mri in 7 days, paid nothing, now to find someone who can fix me, I have no disc between two vertebrae. Surgeon won’t fuse until I jump through all the hoops. Cortisone did nothing, im now at the phisio stage, then it will be nerve burning, then a fuse, so two to three years away from getting fixed yet
Old 01-08-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims83cj5 View Post
I went to my doc and got an mri in 7 days, paid nothing, now to find someone who can fix me, I have no disc between two vertebrae. Surgeon won’t fuse until I jump through all the hoops. Cortisone did nothing, im now at the phisio stage, then it will be nerve burning, then a fuse, so two to three years away from getting fixed yet
My wife had back surgery 10 years ago, and was more or less OK till last summer. Non of surgeons in Edmonton accepted family doctor referral to see her even Dr who did the surgery (actually he was on hunting trip somewhere).
Anyway we found this amazing doctor who works in Canada as Osteopath but was a neurologist back in his country
I think he can do miracles.
Actually now I believe in miracles.
Here is his business card
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0984.jpg (70.9 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by sailor; 01-08-2023 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Actually tried this about 5 times. Didn’t do much for me. Good to hear it helped for you though!
Had a buddy who was an acupuncturist in Red Deer. Told me it works, or it doesn't, you'll know fairly quickly. For me it didn't work. I'm in my late 30s and am right there with you. Back and neck pain for the past 8 years. Have chronic headaches and degenerative arthritis in my thoracic. Not to mention an issue with L5/S1. A fair bit is from getting blown up by IED's overseas, but the rest is probably lifestyle. This growing up and getting older ain't much fun!
Old 01-10-2023, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
I’m in my mid 30s dealing with chronic neck and back pain. I’ve always had some sort of pain for as long as I can remember Just seems to be worse the last couple years and causes headaches. Been to several chiropractors, Nucca chiropractor, physio etc.. and nothing seems to give me relief for any decent amount of time. Was in the field earlier in my working years now in the office so I have been trying to work on my posture.

Anyone have similar experiences? Or anyone in this field that could help?

Thanks
Please take my words with a grain of salt lol. I’m not a doctor. I do have a cousin who had neck surgery awhile back. He ended up suffering from chronic neck and back pain afterwards. The chronic neck pain was determined to be due to scar tissue. This was alleviated by seeing a natural path. Some sort of ultra sound or red light therapy I believe. The chronic back pain - well he was like you in the sense he had Moved into a desk job. Once he returned to the field he found immense relief. I’m not saying you should switch jobs but the physical aspect and keeping moving helped him a lot. Naturally his core strengthened and that is so important for neck and back issues. he saw improvement with just changing back to a more active lifestyle. It’s not completely gone but he also does physio faithfully which A lot of people have a hard time following through with and now he is managing so much better. Including mental health. Chronic pain can sure alter a guys state of mind. I’ve also heard of people doing Botox for headaches due to neck issues. Like some other guys here , I also think there is something to be said about a good pillow/bed to rest at night. Don’t let docs push opioids without exploring other options first. Seen up close how difficult that is to break also. Every situation is so different. I sure hope you find relief. It’s awful to be battling chronic pain of any sort. Hang in there.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
DDP Yoga,
seriously.
Absolutely. I've always been very active, but have suffered from back problems since I broke it in a late teens motorcycle accident. I've used chiros for many years but after finally listening to my wife I tried a local yoga workout. What a difference it made! I look ridiculous, and always stay at the back of the class, but it works. I haven't been back to the chiro since.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:55 PM

Wife went through similar chronic back pain, every chiro, accupuncture, physio, nucca couldnt help it

Dr Gash, Evidence Sport and Spine in Calgary, finally cured it, worth a free consultation, can't say enough about how good the service here is, wife feels like she got her life back.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vingiu View Post
The two most helpful treatments I have found - self-directed stretching/exercise.
100%
Obviously it won't work for everyone, but it can be extremely beneficial for some. Dozen years ago I got kicked pretty hard by a horse in the upper leg. Year or two later things started to go downhill pretty fast on my hip. When it got too bad I'd go to a chiro and he'd get me mobile again. Of course he wanted to see me a little more regular as well as massage but I never bothered. Few years later started going to chiro a little more regular as was getting pretty bad and he finally talked me into getting an x-ray. Because I had left it so long with the muscles locking it up, I had developed some pretty serious degeneration. Got off my butt and started going to a sports medicine massage therapist who got my leg muscles loosened up that had been tight for years. After that I started hitting a treadmill with a heavy pack and steep incline for a cardio/muscle warmup and after that a good stretching regime. Gone from thinking I'd be looking for a new hip and half crippled for the rest of my life to feeling like I did 10 years ago. Amazing what one can do for yourself if you set your mind to it.
Again, won't work for everyone with serious injuries, but it sure has helped me a ton. Plus I'm already in shape once sheep season rolls around

As always, lot's of water along with vitamins/supplements can go a long ways

edit. Haven't been to a chiro or massage therapist for over a year and a half now that I took it upon myself to stay in shape and stretch
Old 01-10-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEDHEAD View Post
Make sure you have a mattress and pillow that offer the support you need for whatever position you like to sleep in. I had back pain for a long time and eventually found out my mattress wasn’t supporting my spine in a proper manner for a side sleeper. Changed that up along with my pillows and my back pain went away.
Quite often when I speed read my aging eyes play tricks so I thought you said "Make sure you have a mistress and a pillow..."
Old 01-10-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
I would second this.
I'm not sure what DDP yoga is but I started restorative yoga about 7 years ago and it was a game changer for me. I wasn't in chronic pain or anything but I noticed as I aged my mobility and balance were not what they used to be. So I attended some restorative yoga sessions and researched on how to build a strong core. Its a daily ritual for me now.

But as others have suggested you need to find the root of your pain then you can put a plan together on how to best remedy the ailment.

Good luck,
Old 01-11-2023, 10:54 AM

Default Neck and Back

Check out, Heal Your Own Neck and Heal Your Own Back by Robin McKenzie.
Available on Amazon it was suggested to me by my Orthopedic Surgeon as surgery wasn't an option for me. Helped tremendously.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:53 PM

Somewhat of a timely thread...

I too suffer from occasional neck/back pains. Past couple of weeks, my neck has been stiff, and when I roll it around, kinda cracks...I do have arthritis.

3 nights ago, I woke up with a horrible migraine, which I never ever get. Anyway, that was the same day my wife made my favorite home made pizza...Guess where it ended up that night...violently vomited it in the toilet. My ribs are still sore.

Told her about it the next morning as I slept in the bathroom...and really had to convince her it wasn't her pizza...She got it...smart lady...lol...

Age is a wonderful thing...
Old 01-11-2023, 10:13 PM

Diet, stretching and get a stand up desk.
I ripped my key board tray off and threw it in the hallway 12 years ago.
Put my keyboard on top of my lap top in the docking station on top of the desk.
Bought a real upright chair in 2008 and still have it today.
If you’re active already, stretching is a must.
And as several have stated, your diet will affect you as much as stress…
Change one thing or change a bunch - hope you find relief.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
My wife had back surgery 10 years ago, and was more or less OK till last summer. Non of surgeons in Edmonton accepted family doctor referral to see her even Dr who did the surgery (actually he was on hunting trip somewhere).
Anyway we found this amazing doctor who works in Canada as Osteopath but was a neurologist back in his country
I think he can do miracles.
Actually now I believe in miracles.
Here is his business card

Appreciate the referral. I am going to see him!
Old 01-13-2023, 09:30 AM

Default Got a link?

[QUOTE=Mayhem42;4599627]...Bought a real upright chair in 2008 and still have it today.../QUOTE]

What type of chair? (brand? model?)

Got a link?

Smitty
Old 01-13-2023, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=smitty9;4600084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem42 View Post
...Bought a real upright chair in 2008 and still have it today.../QUOTE]

What type of chair? (brand? model?)

Got a link?

Smitty
For office use I'd recommend Steelcase chairs. Specifically the Gesture, Leap or Series 2 line. Same chairs WCB uses and recommends to their clients. Crazy, crazy expensive but built to last a lifetime and provide ridiculously good support. If your lucky you might find one at RGO in Edmonton used or try online.

I went through 4 office chairs at home before getting a used Steelcase Gesture for $500 about 8 years ago at RGO. It was in new condition when purchased and has virtually no wear to date being used for 4-6 hours per day. Best thing I ever did for my back that had been broken 35 years prior when I was 15. Most of my pain went away after a couple months of using this chair. I purchased this chair on a physiotherapists recommendation. The Gesture chair I have weighs 60 lbs and looks similar to the one shown below. Well worth looking into.

https://www.rgo.ca/

https://in.steelcase.com/products/ge...34618750697622

https://store.steelcase.com/seating/...rs?cclcl=en_US

https://www.steelcase.com/products/o...case-series-2/

Old 05-14-2024, 06:33 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing pain. Have you tried acupuncture or massage therapy? These have helped some folks when other treatments didn't work.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:56 AM

Years of trucking just sitting there created all kinds of pain in neck,shoulders,lower back and knees. MRI showed I have missing disk in lower back. Just disintegrated,huge pain agony for years Chiro told me horse is outa the barn don’t let anyone adjust me ever again. Tried all medical stuff no help.

Here’s what I’ve learned works for me. Stretching twice every day, morning and night.Pick stretches from internet that work for you. Never sit in a recliner or lie in bed or elsewhere with both legs out straight. One always bent. If you sit a lot don’t sit on your wallet. Walk everywhere you can. I park farthest away from doors at malls etc, walk. And I hang off of door frames or what ever stretch the back with your weight often. Lose weight. And best for last. I went to Foam King and laid on every mattress they had found one that was perfect for me and never looked back. The pains all went away. No more sciatica nothing. Worth every penny. Only bad about foam mattress for me is there a bit hot in summer. I don’t get the memory foam thing just thick foam of density I like. With out memory foam you can flip mattress once in a while it doesn’t developed a dent from your weight.
Been pain free for years now. If I sleep in other beds when travelling it’s not long my back starts to act up again. Love my foam mattress.

Last edited by cranky; 05-14-2024 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 11:56 AM

The best treatment for back pain is ibhuprophen.bar none.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:24 PM

I’m interested in knowing more about DDP yoga. I have had sciatica issues for a year now.
How and where do you learn or practice and what is the best price???
Thanks
Old 05-15-2024, 08:56 AM

I get how tough chronic pain can be, as I've been dealing with similar issues myself. Chiropractic treatment helped me out. Besides that, try some easy exercises like swimming or yoga. Yoga is excellent for posture and is gentle on the body. Keep exploring different options until you find what helps.
Old 05-15-2024, 09:24 AM

Why do we keep resurrecting old threads about Chiro and neck and back pain? What's your agenda Stryker? Just curious.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=405726

Last edited by Albertadiver; 05-15-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:48 PM

Have you tried hypnotherapy? My moms a hypnotherapist.Had bad tendinitis in my left hand. Multiple medications didn’t work but this did. I thought it was all voodoo until that. Been good now for 4 years.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:37 AM

I get how tough chronic pain can be, as I've been dealing with similar issues myself. Chiropractic treatment helped me out. I've been seeing a therapist at Scarborough Village Physio & Chiro, and it's made a difference. Besides that, try some easy exercises like swimming or yoga. Yoga is excellent for posture and is gentle on the body. Keep exploring different options until you find what helps.