Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2024, 08:29 AM

Default Darren Dutchysen dead at 57

https://www.tsn.ca/long-time-tsn-bro...t-57-1.2121798
Old 05-16-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Prostate cancer. Sad to die so young. Condolences to the family. He did his job really well.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-16-2024, 08:51 AM

RIP Dutchy!!!!!
Old 05-16-2024, 09:00 AM

Default Oh that's too bad.

May he RIP.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:12 AM

Way too young...RIP Dutch...
Old 05-16-2024, 09:25 AM

I enjoyed his shows over the years, gone way too young!
Condolences to his family and friends.....
Old 05-16-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Prostate cancer. Sad to die so young. Condolences to the family. He did his job really well.
A message to the rest of us, early prostrate cancer is easy to cure, the longer you wait, the poorer the prognosis.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-16-2024, 09:44 AM

He changed sportscasting and did it right here in front of us. Loved his style. Sad to hear this news today. Thanks for the smiles & laughs Duchy.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:01 AM

RIP Dutchy. Condolences to his friends and family.

I think it was in the late '80's when Dave Brown was fighting someone from the flames, and Dutchy said something along the line of beating on him like he was starting a lawnmower. Great hockey fight line. He and Brian Hall had a great late night sports desk.

Will be missed.

BW
Old 05-16-2024, 10:36 AM

Going way back to when Dutchy and Perry Solkowski where at ITV Sports desk in Edmonton . There late night sports was the best there was !
RIP Darren Dutchyshen
Old 05-16-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
Going way back to when Dutchy and Perry Solkowski where at ITV Sports desk in Edmonton . There late night sports was the best there was !
RIP Darren Dutchyshen
Agreed. It was one of the few things that Dad was okay with us staying up to watch. Always worth the wait too.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:18 AM

RIP Dutch, another good guy gone to young

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
RIP Dutchy. Condolences to his friends and family.

I think it was in the late '80's when Dave Brown was fighting someone from the flames, and Dutchy said something along the line of beating on him like he was starting a lawnmower. Great hockey fight line. He and Brian Hall had a great late night sports desk.

Will be missed.

BW
Yuppers that was Kim Kyte getting it from ol Brownie
Old 05-16-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
A message to the rest of us, early prostrate cancer is easy to cure, the longer you wait, the poorer the prognosis.
you don't need a doc to stick his finger in your butt to get a checkup, you can get a simple blood test for PSA (prostate specific antigen). the prostate normally releases the antigen at a low rate, but if the PSA count is higher than normal then more testing is necessary. if caught early, it can be treated and the survival rate is very high. I've lost a couple friends to it so I get blood work done once a year.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Not always, there is one type that is very aggressive. Lost a friend to it quit young, detected very early, was told it was the dangerous kind, he had his prostate removed. Dr. told him to make sure he had his affairs in order as it would show up somewhere else in a few years. When it returned it to was detected early and treatment was aggressive but he was gone within 6 months. They kept checking his PSA after his prostate had been removed to detect the second bout? But he did not have a prostate.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2024, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
you don't need a doc to stick his finger in your butt to get a checkup, you can get a simple blood test for PSA (prostate specific antigen). the prostate normally releases the antigen at a low rate, but if the PSA count is higher than normal then more testing is necessary. if caught early, it can be treated and the survival rate is very high. I've lost a couple friends to it so I get blood work done once a year.
My Dr. friends from SA tell me they don't even trust the PSA test over there, they say it can show negative and you can have cancer. They do the digital yearly on all their male patients over a certain age.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2024, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My Dr. friends from SA tell me they don't even trust the PSA test over there, they say it can show negative and you can have cancer. They do the digital yearly on all their male patients over a certain age.
My doctor told me they don`t routinely do a PSA test on anyone over 75 since at that age probability is you will die before prostate cancer kills you. I asked if I do get cancer will it be treated and if so isn`t it better to find it early? He shrugged, but ordered the Psa test for me.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Yuppers that was Kim Kyte getting it from ol Brownie
Was that Kyte or Stu Grimson? I remember Grimson dealing Brown one when he first came up, but a Flames/Oilers rematch was a couple weeks later. Brown got the left going & broke Grimson's cheekbone. Grimson played in the minors for a bit after healing up.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-18-2024, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Was that Kyte or Stu Grimson? I remember Grimson dealing Brown one when he first came up, but a Flames/Oilers rematch was a couple weeks later. Brown got the left going & broke Grimson's cheekbone. Grimson played in the minors for a bit after healing up.
At 28 second mark. I’m fairly certain I remember Dutchy describing this with that “lawnmower statement” when he was reporting it. Couldn’t find the actual
Clip with Dutchy’s voice reporting on it…

https://youtu.be/9q97nNn6awg?si=0bfUQjK4MoEIBea5
Old 05-21-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
He changed sportscasting and did it right here in front of us. Loved his style. Sad to hear this news today. Thanks for the smiles & laughs Duchy.
'Nuff said.

RIP Dutches