Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-30-2009, 11:33 PM

Question Fred Bear Bows

What are your thoughts on Fred Bear bows, have started looking for my first bow and have not even shot one yet. Maybe it will feel like junk in my hands. but just wondering who shoots one and what everyone thinks about them...
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:12 AM

I think they look cool but I have never shot one. They always remind me of the cheapos you see on the shelf at crappy tire. Not saying they are all like that, thats just what I think of when I think of bear because they do make em.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 AM

Heya FallAirFever!! I have shot Fred Bears when at the range, along with most other brands. I personally feel that Fred Bear is at the lower end of compound hunting bows. They have never been a "smooth" bow. I always found the drawback to be jerky and almost awkward. Best thing to do is go down to your local range and blast some arrows. JMHO.
junkie
Old 12-31-2009, 09:43 AM
Banned

Hey Man,
I havent shot them either but the CAC has them and i hear they are pretty good. I think after years of making low end bows its going to take a while for them to catch on. On a side note, the Primos guys switched from PSE to Bear a few years ago so they can't be all that bad...but then again they might suck.

Happy new year!
Old 12-31-2009, 10:22 AM

Default Take your time

Decide on a price range, most guys on here are hardcore Hoyt,Apa, Mathews,Pse and Bowtech (and cousins). If you are in Calgary there are to great shops with a wide variety of bows to look at. Both shops will allow you to try most of the makes and models, take full advantage of that oppoturnity.Do some of your on due diligence and read up on the two or three that fit you and your budget. Just because a t.v show or your buddy shoots a bow , doesn't mean that you will have the same taste or fit, so explore your options, cause people come in a wide variety of sizes. If you have done all that and the Fred Bear fits you the best, then don't let anyone talk you out of it, just like any sport practice makes perfect.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntAB View Post
Hey Man,
I havent shot them either but the CAC has them and i hear they are pretty good. I think after years of making low end bows its going to take a while for them to catch on. On a side note, the Primos guys switched from PSE to Bear a few years ago so they can't be all that bad...but then again they might suck.

Happy new year!
Primos ditched bear now too...i believe they went to matthews, but not 100% sure...but they are done with bear.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
Banned

Most guys dont shoot them as they arent a Hoyt or Mathews but I shoot one and really like it. Ive shot moose, deer and elk with it with no issues. One elk was at 55yrds and ran 20yrds and was done! Its a Vapor 300 and works well for me!

Archery Elk 2003.jpg
Old 12-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Primos ditched bear now too...i believe they went to matthews, but not 100% sure...but they are done with bear.
Most of them guys shoot whomever's bow that sponsor them. Not alway because they are the best.
SG
Old 12-31-2009, 11:26 AM

I shot my first deer a nice 5x6 with my fred bear element last year. I have no complaints with it i really enjoyed it.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Most of them guys shoot whomever's bow that sponsor them. Not alway because they are the best.
SG
exactly...whoever offers the most $$$$
Old 01-01-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
SG
Exactly. I'm sure the Primos/ Bear contract has expired, nothing more than that. Primos has done a lot for the Bear brand, no question.

I've shot the Bear Truth (original Truth) and when it debuted, it was definitely a great deal. The Truth II, maybe not such a good deal. The price jumped, putting the dollar value up there with the big names and in my opinion, not as good as the original Truth. But, I think the Truth is no more,...

One thing to look for, is quality of finish. I've noticed that the upper level Bear Bows have anodized aluminum parts and the lower end, painted aluminum parts. The painted parts will show wear quickly, the anodized will not. Bear's camo (dipped) finish also wears off fast, if esthetics matter? And look for machined aluminum versus cast aluminum parts. You honestly get what you pay for, try to buy near the top end of your budget.

As a new shooter, try Bear, Martin, Diamond... You'll look cool shooting any of these! And more importantly, you'll be bitten by the Archery Bug.

Last edited by 3Dshooter; 01-01-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: I can't spell!
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM

I just bought a Truth 2 from Calgary Archery centre. All the research I did indicated it was a good solid bow for the price. However this is not why I purchased it, I shot every bow I could get my hands on and out of all the bows in my price range it felt the best to me. I have had it for a little less then a month with no complaints.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:02 PM

I shoot the 2009 Bear Lights Out darkhorse. The bow shoot incredibly well. It also helped me bag the worlds smallest doe. This bow is quiet and draws back very nicely.The 2010 models look awesome but have been dropped by bear as stated before. Go try out an 09 Truth II. They are very nice bows for the money and you might get a deal as they are last years models.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Hoochie Papa

I've shot the Truth I and Truth II.

They were both very nice. I liked them.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM

I shoot one and like it alot. I shot alot of bows and have owned a few and they are quality bows that are great for beginers and will serve you well for years before your shooting ever outweighs the bow. Packages come with quality extras that you can upgrade slowly if you feel the need.