Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2009, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclab View Post
209 watched your sheep hunt, nice ram. sure looks to me like you are capable of pulling a 50 pound bow with 80% letoff.
WOW! You came to that informed medical decision watching a TV show? What would happen if you stayed at the Holiday Inn? You should be a doctor! Can you tell what to do about my sciatica? Or this funny bump right here...
Old 12-08-2009, 08:26 PM

209 just busting your balls, but seeing as you didn't deny you can't physically pull a reduced yet effective hunting weight on a compound bow makes me wonder.
My hunting partner was out with me this year with a broken back,fractured vertebrae t6,t7,t8 with anterior wedging. It took everything he had to pull his bow but he shot a 20" bear this spring, and a bull moose this fall. After the shots he was pretty much useless but when he gets fixed up he will repay the favor.
About your sciatica, muscle relaxants and massage.
The bump.........less beer
Old 12-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
209 just busting your balls, but seeing as you didn't deny you can't physically pull a reduced yet effective hunting weight on a compound bow makes me wonder.
And I yours, LOL.
I'm no where near the class of archer your friend is, in fact it used to take me hours of practice a week to be competent to 30 yards, and I needed to do it weekly to retain the ability to hit the target. Once or twice I can pull the bow before my injuries stop me. No way near enough for me to get the repetitive practice I need to be ethical.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:30 PM

That sucks 209 hopefully you have a good physiotherapist.

209 how about this? Take mule deer for example.....
you want to hunt with a crossbow, fine, lets create an early archery season, then a muzzleloader season, then a rifle season, followed by a late archery season.
you can use your crossbow in the archery season but all three seasons are on a draw and you can only apply for one. Archery tag good for both early and late season.
you controll the harvest, maintain a quality experience, and increase opportunity to hunt with whatever you want.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclab View Post
That sucks 209 hopefully you have a good physiotherapist.

209 how about this? Take mule deer for example.....
you want to hunt with a crossbow, fine, lets create an early archery season, then a muzzleloader season, then a rifle season, followed by a late archery season.
you can use your crossbow in the archery season but all three seasons are on a draw and you can only apply for one. Archery tag good for both early and late season.
you controll the harvest, maintain a quality experience, and increase opportunity to hunt with whatever you want.
Works for me, but you would certainly separate the wheat from the chaff and find out what season or weapon is most important to the masses.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:30 PM

Thank you albertadeer!!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned

NO CROSSBOW SEASON FOR THE POACHERS...[/QUOTE]

hey ******* how are they poachers?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Maybey they arn't poachers, so hunt with it in rifle season, bow season is for bowhunters.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunman View Post
Maybey they arn't poachers, so hunt with it in rifle season, bow season is for bowhunters.
how is a crossbow not bowhunting it has the same range as a compound and for the maybe they arent poachers part they arent poachers. if they are legal and have all the permits and licences neccisary then they should have the right to be aloud to use a crossbow to hunt game during the bow season. thats the way I view it.

Last edited by Rob Miskosky; 12-11-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:35 PM

hunt with a real bow not a half ass way out.Thats the way I view it
Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunman View Post
hunt with a real bow not a half ass way out.Thats the way I view it
We are aware of the way you view it and you are entitled to your view just as we are entitled to our view.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin View Post
how is a crossbow not bowhunting it has the same range as a compound and for the maybe they arent poachers part they arent poachers. if they are legal and have all the permits and licences neccisary then they should have the right to be aloud to use a crossbow to hunt game during the bow season. thats the way I view it.

The range might be the same but shooting a crossbow accurate at 80yards is alot easier....think of how many trophy mule deer would die in the first season. i could have killed dozens of bucks over 180" with a crossbow. but i always get busted drawing my bow.

Im not against a crossbow season, im just against it being in bow season. have a late season week long cross bow season. nov 27-dec4.

Crossbow= half rifle half bow....X-bow
Old 12-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
The range might be the same but shooting a crossbow accurate at 80yards is alot easier....think of how many trophy mule deer would die in the first season. i could have killed dozens of bucks over 180" with a crossbow. but i always get busted drawing my bow.

Im not against a crossbow season, im just against it being in bow season. have a late season week long cross bow season. nov 27-dec4.

Crossbow= half rifle half bow....X-bow
argument covered cubed, and its a selfish one, a selfish one for trophy hunters only of one species out of how many?, shouldn't count....period

looking at a 350 to 360 plus fps bow myself, probably stick to mathews monster or xlr8 not sure until i shoot them first, my chrono'd switchback xt is doing low 290's with 360 gr arrows and i'm as confident with it with my 70 yrd pin as my 30 yrd pin on that rig, so my practice on my buck target tells me, my 80 and 90 yrd pins i just haven't shot enough to have developed the same level of confidence, ran out of time, once i got to 70 and all was bang on i went hunting.........imagine the drop/velocity difference at 80 yrds with another say 50 fps, i'm thinking my 80 and 90 yrd pins with my next rig will become 90 and 100 yrd pins as i won't need a 20 yrd pin anymore as my 20/30 are already stacked on top of each other....another 50 fps should extend range quite nicely past the yardage you just mentioned.....of course both crossbow and bow would only want to be used there if set up for it and conditions just right...but one is just as doable as the other.......the draw thing seems to be a big deal for this particular mule deer trophy buck, however i'm sure no one would complain about the draw if trying to fill doe tags here?, i'm sorry, not a big enough negative to keep the crossbow out for everyone else and the other sex of said species plus both sexes for all the rest of the species that can be hunted all over the entire province....not just the south trophy mule deer where lack of cover seems to be the issue as i don't hear any northern guys that hunt muleys where trees are everywhere complaining about this...

anyhow, i should be like you, i'm a big strong boy who has always and will for a long time pull 70 plus lbs and right around 30" draw so i will be in the same company of other big strong boys who could extract that kind of 350 plus fps performance from todays boys....that dang crossbow would be able to level the playing field on the performance end of things....i just don't think the same i guess

i love shooting my bow, i want one as an introduction tool personally and if i get jacked up later in life then i'll hopefully be able to go to that tool in the early seasons?, but i think any serious bowhunters will always use a compound, they are more versatile, WAY funner to shoot, p&y compatible etc. etc. etc.

this argument about trophy mule deer getting clobbered by crossbow users is joke imo, you think that many gun hunters are goingto buy a crossbow and in the first season (as you say) figure the ins/outs of stalking big muleys within bow range that quickly without making 100 other mistakes first? And of course they won't miss because its a crossbow...apparently the crossbow will even gut/skin it for you also You think that existing bowhunters of trophy mule deer on the prairies are going to run out and buy crossbows to use instead? Neither are going to happen and you know it. My first scenerio is most likely what your scared of......might be an influx of gun guys thinking the crossbow is all that and a bag of chips but there will be a learning period, then a bunch of crossbows for sale then things will settle down and be hunky dory normal just like the compound bow is hunky dory normal now....capiche?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Default Crossbow Issue

Sure is a lot of information out there that is incorrect. Would like to add my perspective from a person who has used one for a few years. And yes I qualify. They are certainly no more effective than a normal compound bow. In fact I would be very serious about not shooting beyond 30 yards. Yes you can shoot further but the bolt drops like a rock & loses energy fast. I have seen game shot out to 60 yds with a compound & trust me, one would be foolish to try with a crossbow. Next, they are cumbersome. No easy way to carry and they are bulky & unbalanced. Someone mentioned movement. One can't hold a crossbow in the shooting position for more than a few minutes. I hold mine upward & when the opportunity presents itself have to get it in a shooting position without making a ruckus. I think the fear of opening them up is very unfounded. The amount of people that would use them wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. In fact I have had two having sold the first one because it was a pain & the safety kept freezing up. Come on guys & gals. This is just too samall an issue to divide the hunting community. I use both rifle & crossbow & it really doesn't matter. We need to focus on keeping our rights to hunt & who cares. It's about being with people we care about with a tradition that has been in my family for generations. Just my humble opiniun.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
argument covered cubed, and its a selfish one, a selfish one for trophy hunters only of one species out of how many?, shouldn't count....period

looking at a 350 to 360 plus fps bow myself, probably stick to mathews monster or xlr8 not sure until i shoot them first, my chrono'd switchback xt is doing low 290's with 360 gr arrows and i'm as confident with it with my 70 yrd pin as my 30 yrd pin on that rig, so my practice on my buck target tells me, my 80 and 90 yrd pins i just haven't shot enough to have developed the same level of confidence, ran out of time, once i got to 70 and all was bang on i went hunting.........imagine the drop/velocity difference at 80 yrds with another say 50 fps, i'm thinking my 80 and 90 yrd pins with my next rig will become 90 and 100 yrd pins as i won't need a 20 yrd pin anymore as my 20/30 are already stacked on top of each other....another 50 fps should extend range quite nicely past the yardage you just mentioned.....of course both crossbow and bow would only want to be used there if set up for it and conditions just right...but one is just as doable as the other.......the draw thing seems to be a big deal for this particular mule deer trophy buck, however i'm sure no one would complain about the draw if trying to fill doe tags here?, i'm sorry, not a big enough negative to keep the crossbow out for everyone else and the other sex of said species plus both sexes for all the rest of the species that can be hunted all over the entire province....not just the south trophy mule deer where lack of cover seems to be the issue as i don't hear any northern guys that hunt muleys where trees are everywhere complaining about this...

anyhow, i should be like you, i'm a big strong boy who has always and will for a long time pull 70 plus lbs and right around 30" draw so i will be in the same company of other big strong boys who could extract that kind of 350 plus fps performance from todays boys....that dang crossbow would be able to level the playing field on the performance end of things....i just don't think the same i guess

i love shooting my bow, i want one as an introduction tool personally and if i get jacked up later in life then i'll hopefully be able to go to that tool in the early seasons?, but i think any serious bowhunters will always use a compound, they are more versatile, WAY funner to shoot, p&y compatible etc. etc. etc.

this argument about trophy mule deer getting clobbered by crossbow users is joke imo, you think that many gun hunters are goingto buy a crossbow and in the first season (as you say) figure the ins/outs of stalking big muleys within bow range that quickly without making 100 other mistakes first? And of course they won't miss because its a crossbow...apparently the crossbow will even gut/skin it for you also You think that existing bowhunters of trophy mule deer on the prairies are going to run out and buy crossbows to use instead? Neither are going to happen and you know it. My first scenerio is most likely what your scared of......might be an influx of gun guys thinking the crossbow is all that and a bag of chips but there will be a learning period, then a bunch of crossbows for sale then things will settle down and be hunky dory normal just like the compound bow is hunky dory normal now....capiche?

i didnt even finish reading your post..you where ranting....anyways, im not against crossbows. I just dont think it should be at the same time as bow season....it would be cool for a late season crossbow hunt...and i know they are not the easiest things out there, iv shot them a bit and hated it. i have a friend with a mangled hand that uses one. He has shot deer out to 80yds.

Well i dont want to rant, thats not why i joined this forum...i joined it to share photos of monster deer and other animals
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one eyed.jpg (87.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 12-13-2009, 01:27 AM

Default Crossbow

If anyone knows of a crossbow that can shoot out to 80 yds I would appreciate knowing what it is. This fall I had a bull moose at a measured 45 yards. Aimed just above it's back and the arrow landed in the dirt at knee level. Moose was very safe. (ha, ha said Mr moose). Mine is an Excaliber, as good I think as most. I was ready to throw the crossbow in the bush & still might. I will admit, I need to practice more. Both Crossbow & compound shoot arrows. Making a special season for one or the other only adds more layers of already too complicated rules. In both cases one has to be shaking hands with the intended foe & that is the fun or challenge of bowhunting. I may be wrong but I believe crossbows are open to all in Sask. and I really doubt if they are making much of a dent in any population & as one writer said, it opens opportunities for people that just can't pull a bow back. No special seasons please. It is all bowhunting be it in a slightly different form, no offence to compound bowhunters. If I could shoot a compound I would never consider a crossbow and yes I am jealous of those who can and do it so well. Straight shooting to all!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned

While researching new bow stuff for the next bow i came across this on another you tube i watched...it was next in line. Other than shooting towards a road and timing the cars lol this is the sort of practice i do....i even use the same target but generally stand it up against a round bale or something lol. Thought you boys would get a kick out of this. Not bad shooting.

3 shots at 100 yrds with compound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwLMe...1&feature=fvwp

And you boys are worried about crossbows?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:19 AM

I challenge ANYONE here to hit a target the size of vitals at 80 yards with my crossbow. PM me for a time and place.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
I challenge ANYONE here to hit a target the size of vitals at 80 yards with my crossbow. PM me for a time and place.
I know of a bow thatl do that maybe we shouldnt have a bow season.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Banned

bowsite.com, 117 yrd mule deer with bow on second page of big game threads...bet its a long time before i see a crossbow kill further than that!

lets not argue the ethics of that here, i'm sure it was done to death over there....this might be extreme way to put the point out there that if guys are going to push the limits of their skills with todays equipment then i would lean towards the compound bows as being the better pick for long range shooting if more for the energy required which it apparently keeps much better than the crossbow although the crossbow might give the more average shooters a bit better accuracy...if you take top guys with either equipment for this scenerio you'd be splitting hairs on the differences in performance....the crossbow is a bow! and if let in where it fits it helps our hunting sports period!
Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 PM

http://www.apaarchery.com/testimonials.html

Antelope at 104 yds with compound bow. Bottom right of page.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 AM

Default Compound vs. Crossbow

Not that my 2 cents will make a whole lot of difference here, but having owned and shot both a crossbow and a regular compound - I'd take the compound any day. The little arrow out of the crossbow is lightening fast, but it also drops and dies lightening fast and if you're off in your range estimation by even 5 yards out past the 30-40 yard zone, you may pay dearly with a crossbow. The same science as with a rifle applies here - speed is not always necessarily the ultimate factor. Out to 30 yards, the crossbow certainly seems to be the ultimate way to drive an arrow, but past that, the compound takes over hands down.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned

73 yrd, 102 yrd, and 103 yrd antelope here too, scroll down to the antelope

http://www.archeryinnovations.com/

hmmm, compounds rock, cannot wait to get going with my new xlr8, i will be pinned and practiced to way out there also...the equipment is that good nowadays...its been four years since i bought a bow, this new one will have more velocity and energy at 100 yrds than my current rig has at the muzzle, there is no threat from the crossbow inclusion for the "long range lethality argument", the compounds rule the day for the distance stuff
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Gone Hunting

I want to invent something,,, something that will be called a bow, that does not need to be drawn back with muscular power, and something that I do not have to fight that darned limb power with while trying to aim, maintain form and shoot,,, but I still want to call it a bow... Hmmm. What can be done...? Gotta be somethin out there just itchin to be invented that will seal the coffin on archery shooters and hunters world wide. Having to do all that extra work to be called a bow hunter seems so counter-productive.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Oh, and I dont want to call it a croosbow, thats called reinventing the square wheel,, thats a piece of chump change-equipment that should only be intended for people with disabilities in valid archery seasons. Im talking about building something better than that, something that we can call a bow that basically buries the concept of archery, something that can have its own season,,, if not allowed inclusion in our existing and very REAL archery season. Cause lord knows, the job of managing big game can be likened to space travel,,, what were doing isnt enough,, to challenge ourselves a little is most definately lunacy in its purest form. Theres got to be a better way...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er

Last edited by packhuntr; 01-17-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:54 AM

Ive heard that crossbows will not have there own season anytime in the near future heard this first hand from alberta conservation
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

hey packhuntr, will 99% let off get you by in the meantime?

http://conceptarchery.com/

dunno bout you but glad the compound bows made their way in the day as i'm looking forward to my new monster xlr8 which should be doing 345 plus fps with 365 grains for me,

i'd be a lot more worried the latest in compound technology than crossbow inclusion lol, between true 100 yrd capability/power from todays compounds (funny, isn't that the crossbow argument) and or 99% let off i think the compounds will put anything over that is teetering on the edge of going to draw....

and its the type of guys who shoot compounds seriously that will do it too, not anyone who grabs a crossbow, so might as well let them in so the option is there for those less 'kick azz' compound guys like me and you can get in the game too....

when it makes sense.....it just makes sense
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicker View Post
Ive heard that crossbows will not have there own season anytime in the near future heard this first hand from alberta conservation
Alberta Conservation? Who's that?
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM

If I set the trigger on my .270win at, oh, say 60 lbs, could I have my own season? One no one else could hunt in because, damn, it's really hard to pull that trigger?
Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

pack, i meant that me and you ARE kick azz compound guys, i could see how that reads different, oops