Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 PM

Default Elk zones to avoid?

Kinda chompin at the bit, doing a little planning for next years hunting season. I'm looking to go after elk with a bow early september, are there any places that I should avoid due to high hunter desinty? Ive heard a bunch of stories about calling in other hunters etc... I am looking to go into the Rockeys or hoping that's where Ill find the crown land... Hints or tips?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Banned

if you contact bob grimsey with the wild elk federation, he will give you gps coordinates to some great hunting with little competition and off the beaten path. thats how he describes it. he says he is getting too old to go there (again his words) and has offered his tips and advice to hundreds of people in the seminars he gives. at last count he told me that only 2 guys have ever followed him up on it. if you have no ideas it may be worth a try.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
if you contact bob grimsey with the wild elk federation, he will give you gps coordinates to some great hunting with little competition and off the beaten path. thats how he describes it. he says he is getting too old to go there (again his words) and has offered his tips and advice to hundreds of people in the seminars he gives. at last count he told me that only 2 guys have ever followed him up on it. if you have no ideas it may be worth a try.
but some heards tend to move great distances in a year all depending on predator and human pressure...so his spots might be hit and miss... if u want a good elk spot look between fox creek on highway 43 and edson and hinton on highway 16... tons of heards in there.... they are bush elk and are smaller heards and i beleive are alot different than the grazing heards u find closer to the mountains.... take a look around the berland river and its route... ull find elk
Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Default Got it.

Thanks.