Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Yeah, Shedon Dingwall's basses look really cool. I love what I've read about them, but I've never even seen one in 'person.' Apparently once you've played 'em a little while, you don't even notice the fanned frets.

I envy you the Californian tour. Just about as close as we come is that we're playing a private date in PEI this summer and our fiddler flies over from Calgary for all our gigs. Good thing he works for an airline...
Dingwalls are very smooth to play. The fanning feels very natural. I have been so close to bitin the bullet but good thing for hard times, I guess. Like I really need another bass. especially a $4500. one at that.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned

Default 0.02

One thing you might want to play with is the hight of your pickups, I have a cheap Squire that I take to camp with me. Bringing the pickups closer to the strigs made quite a difference.

I would not bother changing your pickups because of how they sound through a digital efects board. I have a boss recording studio and the built in effects tend to sound pretty close to the sweet spot, using the same instrument my korg pandora that I take to camp so I can play through headphones sounds way to bassy for my tastes. I find digital effects in general to be a rough caracture of what that sound would be on an actual amp and I can never seem to find the "sweet spot" on them. They are always a little too somthing and not quite enough somthing else.

For combo amps fender does make some great amps, my one problem I have with every fender amp I've had to use is that both the distorted and clean chanels always share an EQ, so when I find a great tone on my clean channel, it doesnt sound right on the overdrive, and vice versa. For this reason allone I greatly preffer Marshalls, which usualy have an EQ for each chanel. For five hundred bucks you could find a used solid state 2x12 50 watt combo amp if you wanted somthing that big, I dont think you will be able to go with tubes for under 500.

The reason gibsons are so heavy is they are made out of mahogany rather than alder or swamp ash as fenders usualy are. I've played gibsons for a long time but my cheap Squire has me seriously thinking of going back to telecasters, just love the single coil tone. Hate fender quality control though.

My ESP LTD bass only cost me 500 bucks and it is probably has the best build quality of any guitar I've owned.

Last edited by Cal; 03-30-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Default thanks

Thanks for all the info guys...I think I'll just keep my eyes open for a good deal on a used fender amp. Feel free to hijack this thread whereever ya want. Interesting hearing all the gear stories etc.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
The reason gibsons are so heavy is they are made out of mahogany rather than alder or swamp ash as fenders usualy are. I've played gibsons for a long time but my cheap Squire has me seriously thinking of going back to telecasters, just love the single coil tone. Hate fender quality control though.
I'm with you on the Fender QC. For years now the most consistently good Fenders have been the Japanese ones. The new American Standard series brings good QC back to the American lines, though. You can buy an Am. Std (and ONLY that US-built line) almost sight unseen. Believe me, without the AM. Std line, I'd still be Fender-free...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM

i love seagull guitars...wish i had one...but i had to settle for a art&lutherie
Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
i love seagull guitars...wish i had one...but i had to settle for a art&lutherie
Art lutherie guitars are awesome for the price. When I went to buy a new acoustic guitar I had $700 bucks I was prepared to spend. After playing every guitar in several shops (an absolute must when buying an acoustic IMO as they are all individuals) I ended up buying a 300 dollar art luthrie guitar as I couldnt find a beter sounding guitar that didnt cost at least 3x that much. Made in Canada too!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM

just my 2cents I have been thinking of making an official guitar thread, if you want to change the title of your thread to something like that would be easier then me opening another one.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:37 AM

Ruga, I don't actually know whereabouts you live, but I just checked on the Calbgary Craigslist and there were some cool things from places in Lethbridges and such, so it's not all in downtown Calgary. If you're further north, the Edmonton 'list might have something you can drive to get. THere's nothing on either right now.

Oh: I forgot: Traynor and Yorkville Sound are a) the same company on either side of a name change; and b) pretty damned good -- or rather, their bass stuff is really, really good, and I hear that their guitar stuff is as well. And it's a Canadian company, if that matters.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Ruga, I don't actually know whereabouts you live, but I just checked on the Calbgary Craigslist and there were some cool things from places in Lethbridges and such, so it's not all in downtown Calgary. If you're further north, the Edmonton 'list might have something you can drive to get. THere's nothing on either right now.

Oh: I forgot: Traynor and Yorkville Sound are a) the same company on either side of a name change; and b) pretty damned good -- or rather, their bass stuff is really, really good, and I hear that their guitar stuff is as well. And it's a Canadian company, if that matters.

Traynor makes some realy great guitar amps, other than only having one EQ like the fender amps. I like their guitar stuff better than their bass stuff, not that their bass stuff is bad but I prefer Peavy (hate most of their guitar amps though) and Hartke for bass amps. But then I dont realy like the p-bass either, just comes down to personal taste I guess.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:22 PM

This might be the reason my only center fire rifle is a 303brit, my truck is an '89, and the only TV I have is from 1984 (seriously). I think I have a problem...[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denver View Post
This might be the reason my only center fire rifle is a 303brit, my truck is an '89, and the only TV I have is from 1984 (seriously). I think I have a problem...
Holy snap, dude...