Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2010, 06:05 PM

Default So Your Dog is Smart, What's It Done to Prove It?

It seems there's a lot of really smart dogs out there (100 Smartest List), what's your dog done to prove he/she is really clever?

We used to have two dogs, "Dumbo" and "Genius". If Dumbo had a bone and Genius wanted it he'd run into the back yard and bark up a storm. Dumbo would drop his bone and run out out to see what all the commotion was, meanwhile Genius would run back and scoop up the bone and be gone with it.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

my new dog duke hasnt wowed me yet with the smarts, but my border collie dexter could open the gate to let himself out for a walk around the neighbourhood. the gate opened by pulling, not pushing from the inside. he's open the latch with one paw while pulling the gate with the other. he would close it on the way out. whats more, he would go for a stroll then come back and open the gate with the pull string to let himself back in.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:47 PM

We had an american eskimo growing up that liked veggies. He used to go into the garden and pick carrots, beans and strawberries. Needless to say, he was a rather 'gassy' dog.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned

I had a Brittany that I barely had to teach anything about bird hunting. He just knew everything that I wanted him to do, it was almost scary! But the smartest thing that I ever saw him do was one Spring he broke through the ice on a small nearby lake. I figured that he was toast but he made it back onto the ice and instead of shaking the water of he crawled on his belly til he got to shore and then had a shake. Just instinct I guess but pretty smart none the less!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM

My old rottie '' Maverick '' did some pretty amazing things, some of the better ones are:

-He'd go to the fridge open the door ( we had a rope tied to the handle) and grab a beer off the bottom and bring it to you, when asked.

- He knew the diffrence between money, he always picked the Canadian dollar, which then he would go to the pantry and wait to buy his treats.

-He'd fetch the mail everyday

-We would give him roses and he would lay the roses on any womans lap that came over!

-Great shed hunter as well

There's more but I don't want to brag anymore, hopefully my new pup '' Argo " will be half the dog Maverick was.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 AM

My dog adores me!!! Nuf said!!!!
Dodger.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM

Well, my dog is not very smart, and he ranks pretty low on the list. He's cute, but dumb

He does do something though . . . he gets out of the yard: five foot fence, he's only around 11" tall at the withers, two gates that are locked, he isn't a digger, no holes in the fence . . . why do my neighbours show up on my front step with my dog in their arms???

I don't get it. We've been trying to figure it out for 2.5 years.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 AM

Our puppy Duke is just over 5 months now, and is smart.

He's also stubborn if he doesn't want to do something. If you have food, he will try to do all the tricks he knows all at once. It's quite entertaining to see him try to sit, shake a paw, play dead, and roll over all at the same time.

He knows a number of tricks and seems to learn something new every day.

One of the things we've taught him is to ring a bell at our back door when he needs to go bathroom, or wants outside. This door is in our bedroom and leads to the hot tub etc. Usually about 6:00am every morning, he's had enough sleeping and wants to eat. So he goes and sits by our other door and whines a bit. If we ignore him, he'll go over to the other door and bang away at the bell for a good 15 seconds, and then go sit back at the other door, like, "OK guys, I rang the bell, now open the other door and feed me!". It's funny to watch, but not at 6:00am.

After he eats he goes back to bed for a few hours.

One of my favorite tricks is to try to hide from him. I'll throw a stick and then hide behind trees or whatever. It's kinda mean, but it's hilarious to see his reaction of near panic trying to find me.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 AM
sheephunter

The second day we had our puppy home, when he was 8 weeks old, he'd already learned to ring a bell on the door when he needed out to pee. Now he knows the names of all his toys and has a pretty good grasp of the English language...we're still working on Spanish though...
Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 AM

"Donkey" our dog, figured out to pull the string to open the gate to get out, he then visits all the neighbours that he knows and the local dogs. he decided to do this one afternoon, we looked for hours trying to find him. got a call from puppy jail, they kept him overnight and delivered him the next day. He has not left the yard since, unless we call him. one night in jail taught him a good lesson.
Same with the porcupine, mouth full of quills (85 or so). next time at the farm, he had one quill. since then he again learned his lesson.
like a kid need to try it once, if it pans out continue. If it doesn't pan out, never do it again.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The second day we had our puppy home, when he was 8 weeks old, he'd already learned to ring a bell on the door when he needed out to pee. Now he knows the names of all his toys and has a pretty good grasp of the English language...we're still working on Spanish though...
That's really kool, We had Maverick understanding Sign language, English and Greek.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

I go to work every day
My dog sleeps on the couch all day

Nuff said
Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM

my dog got fed up with wounded ducks diving on him, so the crazy mut taugh himself how to dive under water as soon as he saw them dive. in 2 seasons with him now i havent lost a duck lol.(and im not talking about no head dunk in the water, im talking about a full under water dive) the first time he did it i knew he hit the bottom of the lake cuz when he came back up with the duck he had a mouthful of mud lol
Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM

Default Pee-J

Our crazy Britt, Pee-J, learned to open our back door. He then jumps up on hubby's motorcycle to get over our 6' fence.

He was so good at opening the door he then taught our Britt puppy to do the same thing. Thankfully I had not started her on agility yet so she stayed in the yard.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:55 PM

My GSP carries up to 5 items in her mouth at a time...
Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Recon will chase single coyotes; but only till they go in the woods. He's smart enough to stop, and he won't chase if there is more then one. He has also figured out our cats are good but any other cats are fair game; I especially like this talent.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:05 PM

Our GSPx is finding all the peanuts that have been hidden in our yard. The little guy might be smarter though, he waits for her to find them then he steals them from her
Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM

My dog wasn't on the list, American Eskimo. I'm not sure why because they are a very intelligent breed and quite often excel at Obedience and Agility trials. I'm curious as to what type of guidelines helped form that list.

My dog is very intuitive, he knows when people are upset, happy or angry. A good friend had come over not too long ago and was discussing a recent death in the family, when she began to get a little teary eyed my dog came running from the bedroom, jumped onto her lap and started licking her face. It was like he sensed her sadness from the other room. He sits by the window everyday at 4 pm waiting for my daughter to get home from work. He'll come and tell me if he's out of water. The first time he did that I couldn't figure out what he wanted at first, he has a little under his breath whine and I went to the door to let him out, nope it wasn't that, petted him because I thought he was just being needy, when he finally got frustrated with me he went and pushed his water dish at me with his nose, sat down in front of my feet looking at me like I was an idiot for not figuring it out to begin with.

He was easy to obedience train, he's picked up tricks easily, (roll over, play dead etc). I've taught him names of friends and family so when I ask him where so and so is he'll look around and go to them immediately. Like Tree's Esky, my dog loves the garden and he helps me dig out potatoes at the end of the season, he finds them for me, digs till he gets close then I call him out and finish fishing them out. He loves peas, he'll shell them but he doesn't like the skin surrounding the pea so he'll actually peel them. So even though he isn't on the list that was posted I think my dog is highly intelligent, intuitive and sensitive.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 PM

Does urinating on religious peddler's count as being smart?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:31 PM

My Britt is smart AND evil. He has only ever chewed up two things in my home that he wasn't suppoed to (meaning not chew toys). He went into my son's room and chewed up a CRUCIFIX AND A BIBLE. not any of the other 50 books he could have got at, or other items. Crucifix and bible. How do you explain that? HE'S THE DEVIL!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:31 PM

Few pictures what my dog did long time ago.He was chasing the ball.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharro.jpg (51.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg sharro 1.jpg (53.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg sharro2.jpg (46.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrozap View Post
Few pictures what my dog did long time ago.He was chasing the ball.
That's my kind of dog! Same colouration even.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
That's my kind of dog! Same colouration even.
a redhead and a tree climber hey TREE