Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
** *** ** Why bother going shopping? Jumpers have popped off of the pedestrian overpass over Deerfoot Trail between Max Bell Arena and Memorial Drive into the path of Semi trucks. Its cheaper than either a hank of rope or a day pass and ammo at the range. The determined can't be stopped, but perhaps re-directed is an attainable goal.
Just a guess but, I'm thinking that one way of dying would appeal to them more than another way of dying. Discussing ways of dying is one of the signs of a suicidal person but, I could think of preferences that I'd have if I was to take myself out.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Discussing ways of dying is one of the signs of a suicidal person but, I could think of preferences that I'd have if I was to take myself out.
hmmmm interesting... please, lay down on the couch. And how do you feel about your mother?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
hmmmm interesting... please, lay down on the couch. And how do you feel about your mother?
Suicidal I'm not............Morbid I might be.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Suicidal I'm not............Morbid I might be.
It's called "goth" my friend. Nice eyeliner!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 AM

It was kind of interesting...I mentioned to my wife last night. Someone went into the shooting range last december and committed suicide and just yesterday someone else did the same thing.

She thought about it (she has family that has attempted suicide by the way) and she said,

"Thats too bad, at least they didn't do it a a daycare facility."

It is awful no matter what but it could have been worse.

I find it difficult to feel anything, good or bad, for the person who chose to do this.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Though in the firearms act it says (under the section regulating gun clubs and ranges) that to use a restricted weapon at a range you need to be a member, or a guest of a member, or someone from outside the country who normally shoots, etc.... So by that I suspect you can't go in off the street and use a handgun, just a non-restricted rifle. Anyone know if I've got that wrong?
Oko, the one and only time I've been into the Shooting Edge I asked the same question. I didn't have my PAL for either non-restricted or restricted. They told me I come in and get a safety lesson and away I go...pistol or rifle. Without a PAL, you have a range officer supervising you. Maybe this is part of the problem.

Should just anyone be able to walk in off the street and shoot, without a criminal background check or references on your mental health well being?
Old 04-01-2010, 09:59 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckay View Post

Should just anyone be able to walk in off the street and shoot, without a criminal background check or references on your mental health well being?
The thing I find strange is the range we use in Dallas has the same thing. come in and shoot what you want under supervision. You can shoot uzi's, m4s or a Thompson(not available now I guess).

They have never had a suicide on the range in 27 years. I always wonder if it doesn't have something to do with our gun laws? Easier down there to just get a gun and do it somewhere else? I don't know.

What I do know is I will not call the person weak, cowardly or anything else negative. I know nothing about him, hard to comment on someone you don't know.

I found my best friend in his basement at 16 with the top of his skull missing, sorry it's graphic but that's what I remember. Suicide is hard for everyone involved.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmckay View Post
* Should we need criminal background checks when purchasing kitchen knives, or hammers and shovels at HomeDepot? Should our cars have built in devices that analyze our brain waves for aggresssion or depression before the engine will start? * A nanny state we don't need. When thoughts like this are followed through upon we get a government and laws such as in the following example:http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56223
Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
* Should we need criminal background checks when purchasing kitchen knives, or hammers and shovels at HomeDepot? Should our cars have built in devices that analyze our brain waves for aggresssion or depression before the engine will start? * A nanny state we don't need. When thoughts like this are followed through upon we get a government and laws such as in the following example:http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=56223
I see you point Caber, and I read that thread...what a joke! I think the registry is a waste of taxpayer dollars. But........without going through the process of getting a PAL to weed out violent criminals or others that maybe shouldn't own firearms, any gangbanger or pshyco can walk in and be in control of a deadly weapon?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:35 AM

What i would like to know is with the 2 suicides at the edge was it first time visits for both ? One of the reasons we are supposed to have firearms locked away is if some person is momentarily "low" and does not have easy access to firearms the feeling may pass and the suicide will be avoided. I do understand at this point they may find other means and it may not be avoided. Maybe if the public ranges did not allow first time visitors to shoot they could possibly avoid these situations. Lots of maybes. I would also be curious to know if these were also "first attempts". I also find no fault with the edge but just think there might be a better way that would not punish the average shooter to much and help someone who is at a low point in their life. "They" say many people who have attempted to take their own life later on never do so again.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:29 AM

huh... beerhunter ur wife sounds like a real decent lady. thats good to always be able to see the good in a bad situation.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:39 PM

My thoughts on more range rules:
We can always make more rules and laws and try to stop what we don't like from happening... but mother nature has a thing called natural selection and there always will be. I am not saying we should just throw everyone to the wolves instead of help them but extra rules just allow for a lack of common sense to be built up. Example. I grew up in a small town where I was allowed to play with fire, knives and climb tall objects without safety harnesses, hard hats and bright shiny vests, I could also ride my bike without having to wear a helmet. I got burnt by my small fires, cut to where i needed stitches, fell down and got hurt, split my head open from bike crashes but you know what? I learned to be cautious and cafeful and watch out for hazards... Something I feel you can't teach someone with just rules and warnings.
If kids today(usually city kids because they are not exposed to as mush as country kids) grow up without learning lessons and paying for the consequences when they are small then we end up with a ton of adults that don't know right from wrong, and don't understand the consequences of their actions or how to look out for themselves and aren't afraid of drugs or violence or committing crimes because they think they will always get away with it.
This is because of what i think is a lack of common sense. The more we reduce the need for people to use common sense(say at the range with a deadly weapon.... not just a rented toy boom stick.) then the dumber a society we are building.
Look at the road signes out there nowadays compared to 40 yrs ago. We used to have signs to tell us where to go. Now we have signs to tell us to slow down, bumpy road, curved road approaching, and a million other signs and laws taking the thinking out of driving. We are literally teaching people not to use their common sense anymore.
This is the problem that needs attention. The rest of our problems including range usages and restrictions is a direct result of lack of common sense. Same with the landowner problems nowadays... lack of common sense.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGO GUY View Post
Well I think it is a chicken s**** way to do things myself and yes I had a friend do it aswell . I agree if you are gonna do it head to the hills and feed the animals by yourself..

Potty Mouth Well said
X2
Old 04-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELSIE View Post
look, i dont know who you are, or anything about you, and vise versa, but listen to me when i tell you its not what you should do. at all. you have to just push through whatever is bad right now, and know that it wont always be that way , be strong, and things just gotta go up from where you are.
wwwhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....................... huuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh

coughcoughcoughcough

tm