Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
Take a friend with you to the range to load the rifle for you. Get him to alternate live rounds with snap caps so that you don't know what is loaded.(keeping safety in mind at all times). This way if a cap is loaded and you fire and flinch, your reation will be noticed. After a while of this you really won't expect the bang, then all of a sudden BANG . Do this afew times and you won't notice the kick
X2 although Im sure its been mentioned more than that. When I was doing alot of Handgun training our instructor used the above ball and dummy drill. It really helps you notice if you are jerking the trigger, anticipating the shot etc etc...Plus its cheaper by putting a couple dummy rounds as your not continuing to use live ammo. Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Maybe you should have a talk with your gun. Put it on the table and tell it "you're no magnum you puny little pea-shooter, I've seen sewing needles with a bigger bore than you......etc" you get the picture. Gain your confidence and become the master. Don't ever refer to it as a magnum again, it's just a panzy arsed little 7 mil, that can't hurt you. Hey, if you think it....it will happen
Old 03-30-2010, 07:44 PM

Take the pain. If the eye-relief on your scope is a bit short, you may be anticipating a scope cut. Years ago I went from a cheapy Bushnell to a Leupold and never looked back.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:38 PM

You've already got a ton of advice on the subject but here's my 2 cents. Keep your shooting sessions with your rifle short. Start out each session shooting a dozen shots with a .22, then shoot 1 shot out of your rifle, then repeat. ALSO, KEEP SESSIONS WITH YOUR BIG RIFLE SHORT!!! You gain nothing by pounding the crap out of your shoulder so only shoot 2 or 3 groups or your flinch will worsen. Then go to town with the .22. I've learned more about shooting with a .22 then with all other rifles combined. It's cheap practice and doesn't punish the shoulder.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:06 PM

I developed a flinch also by shooting my 338WM and 7mm, the kick and the pain to the shoulder was not a lot of fun. I shoot now with a lifejacket as a pad, look like a total dork but works awesome. Got a cheap 50 dollar rest with a few sandbags and can shoot these penis extensions all day at the range. Found aftermarket triggers helped a bit also as some rifles have long trigger pulls that affect flinching also. Last item that helped me was instead of holding the rifle I was able to support the rifle with the "rest" and free hand while you pinch the trigger with my pointy finger and thumb this does not allow you to pull the rifle into your shoulder.

Good luck, am sure you can work thru it.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Banned

This puppy will knock you back about 300 bucks. But, you can shoot that big boom stick all day long. It won't hurt your ears either. That's my .338WM which pounds you harder than the .375 H&H

Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 PM

I always wear hearing protection and a heavy coat, even with a recoil pad, on the range. Makes a big difference.
Grizz
Old 04-01-2010, 07:07 PM

Start shooting it in positions other than sitting at the bench. Stand, kneel, prone.....they all feel better than sitting. Get someone to watch your form for awhile and straighten out anything that's "out".

Shoot lots and quit being such a wuss

tm
Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 PM

The more you shoot, the more "recoil tolerant" you become ...probably because you learn how to hold better as time goes on...As long as you are holding the rifle "firm" into your shoulder, the scope should not contact your forehead. Breathing through the shot is important when bench shooting. The optic nerve is one of the most sensitive to oxygen deprivation, so as soon as you stop breathing, things start going wonky...then you feel "pressured" to take the shot before you are really ready...so you jerk instead of squeeze. I never hold on to the forestock when shooting from the bench as that can also result in poor accuracy.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:09 PM

GOOD hearing protection is number 1. I use the best earplugs and highest db ear muffs I can find (from acklands)..even when shooting my 22's, not all hearing protection is equal, so do your reseach and get the best you can afford.

Buy a quality recoil pad, and if you can find them buy a recoil shield which goes in your shooting jacket or the ones that strap on like a holster.

Slow down your loads (less powder and lighter bullets equals less recoil) or, use recoil reduced loads if you don't handload.

Make sure the rifle fits you and that all of the butt plate is in contact with your shoulder.

Not all scopes are created equeal my Ziess has more eye relief than some other scopes I own, and cheap scopes are the worst, as they cause one to "crawl" the stock to try and get a clear sight picture.

I never shoot my rifles from the bench holding on to the forend or any other part of the rifle as any pressure will kill your groups, BUT if the stock, scope, and fit of the rifle are not a perfect, you will feel recoil much more so than with a properly fitted rifle, with a good scope.

Shoot a 22 ( to start) stay away from the big boomers and stop if it hurts....

- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:46 AM

I shoot a few rifles that kick me pretty bad. I recently used a PAST recoil protector and what a big difference it made! Just my 2 cents. It is definatly worth a try