Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Default Unprimed Brass

Hey all. I have just gotten into reloading and am trying to get some information. First, I have approx 100 rds of nickel plated .30-06 brass that I have fired and resized. it seems that 20 rds or so are all under the SAAMI recomended cartridge length of 2.494" ranging anywhere from 2.485-2.492". Is this common, and is any of that brass useable? They have all been seperated from the rest right now. As well where can I get nickel plated brass here in the Edmonton area? Thanks in advance as always.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 PM

be careful with nickel brass...It can be hard on dies. Make sure its clean and well lubed. I have used it quite often and have had no problems thus far. The shorter case will be fine to use, its when they stretch that they cause you grief, also check new brass before reloading it. I found that out the hard way on a Sask whitetail hunt. I just sized it and loaded it, assumed it would be good, only to find out it would not chamber....good thing i had a few older ones kickin around in my pack. Turns out i only needed one anyhow
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

If your going to use NP brass, be sure to lube well, I have heard that the NP can flake off in the dies, if they are ran too dry. I see no reason to use NP brass other than they are shiny and don't tarnish,, as far as lengths, if they are short don't worry about it, they will stretch.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:59 PM

The common trim length is usually .010" shorter than the SAAMI case length,so all of your brass is fine.Just don't let the brass exceed the SAAMI length, or you could run into pressure issues.As for plated brass,it looks nice when new,but I prefer not to use it since it flakes off as you keep firing and resizing it,over and over again.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
If your going to use NP brass, be sure to lube well, I have heard that the NP can flake off in the dies, if they are ran too dry. I see no reason to use NP brass other than they are shiny and don't tarnish,, as far as lengths, if they are short don't worry about it, they will stretch.
I'm not a fan of np brass per say but it was the only brass i could find in .280 for a long while. Lots of lube and make sure it's clean and everything seems ok.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
I'm not a fan of np brass per say but it was the only brass i could find in .280 for a long while. Lots of lube and make sure it's clean and everything seems ok.
absolutely
Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 PM

When I get a new lot of brass I run every one of them by a caliper. When I find the shortest one I square the mouth and trim every other case to that length.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-02-2010, 10:11 PM

Thanks everyone. Second part of the question, where can a guy buy new brass in the Edmonton area? Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:04 AM

P&D, Milarm, and Wholesale Sports (2 locations, as I recall) should all sell new brass.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Banned

batten,

Even when you get the new brass you should run through the die to straighten out the neck. If you find the necks are little square from banging around in the bag,, just take something with rounded edges and round out the neck on the brass, not perfect but close, then run the brass in the sizer die, it will save you some brass.
Not sure if you new this or not
Old 04-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

Good advice from all, so I don't need to add my 2 cents. But I have to add that I hate the nickel plated brass personally. I just reloaded 50 rounds of .444 for a friend and it sounds terrible going through the flaring die to open up the neck. Why did they ever nickel plate perfectly good brass to begin with escapes me. Marketing hype perhaps? anybody know 'cause I can't see any reason other than cosmetics. Mind you, I don't understand jumping out of a perfectly good airplane either
Old 04-03-2010, 04:18 PM

From what I have gathered about NP brass, it is harder on dies, needs to be well lubed and the NP may flake of in the dies. The upside it won't tarnish like brass. I have no real preference for either that is just most of what I have on hand right now from firing winchester ballistic silvertips which have performed really well from my rifle. As far as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, yeah not too sure either despite having done it multiple times. I suspect a few screws may be loose, but that's just me. Cheers, all.