Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 PM

Default Think my scope might have been knocked

Took a deer on November 14th 2009, and was firing dead on at 100 yards.

Tried firing today (haven't had a chance to fire since November) and was way off. Couldn't even get on paper consistently at 50 yards.

What are the possible causes for this? Could the scope be knocked? My knobs might have been turned a bit also.

If it matters, it's a Benelli R1 in 30-06, ammo has been consistent.

Any ideas/suggestions? Should I get it bore-sighted again? Zero in at 25, then 50, then 100?

Thanks guys.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:09 PM

If it is grouping ok check to make sure the scope is still snug in the rings. Check all the screws there to make sure nothing moved. Rings and bases. After that check to make sure the action is snugged to the stock.

Resight at 25. Get it zeroed there and move to 100. If it still shoots groups then you're fine. If it wanders then there's a scope problem.

That's what I'd do. What kind of scope?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
If it is grouping ok check to make sure the scope is still snug in the rings. Check all the screws there to make sure nothing moved. Rings and bases. After that check to make sure the action is snugged to the stock.

Resight at 25. Get it zeroed there and move to 100. If it still shoots groups then you're fine. If it wanders then there's a scope problem.

That's what I'd do. What kind of scope?
All of what CTG said as well , not sure if yours is wood stock or synthetic? Wood has a habit of shrinking and expanding according to the climate, causing potential bedding issues.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 PM

The stock is wooden, the scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3x9. There isn't much of a grouping at all right now at 100, or 50 for that matter. The rings and base look good. What exactly is a "bedding issue"?
Old 05-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanada View Post
The stock is wooden, the scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3x9. There isn't much of a grouping at all right now at 100, or 50 for that matter. The rings and base look good. What exactly is a "bedding issue"?
The bed of the stock is the area that the barrel and action sit in, usually held down by two (or sometimes) three screws.
By the sounds of it , you do not have a bedding issues persay, but the screws may be backed off enough to let the action wonder around.
First off, what brand of rifle is it, and are you using the same ammo as you did last Fall?
Cat
Old 05-09-2010, 07:49 PM

Wood is an organic fiber. It can warp,shrink from storing in a hot dry area, or swell and crack against screws etc.when damp. If it puts pressure on any part of the barrel it will affect the harmonics of the steel as the bullet passes through, possibly changing the way it groups and most definately change the point of impact. Yours is a 2 piece stock I believe ,nor am I familiar with that firearm . But just for giggles, run a piece of paper wrapped around the barrel from the end of the stock to the action , see if there is any part of the stock touching the barrel. If it is touching that could be your problem? I wouldn't alter anything on the firearm with out checking with the place you purchased or contact a good smith or the manufacturer first.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:56 PM

Crap, I missed the Benelli part in the first post.
In my experience, ( however having none with the Benelli) , even a bearing for end will not throw the group off at 50 yards so much that you cannot get it on the paper!
There is obviously something els wrong here, and without looking at the rifle it is hard to say, but checking the scope bases might be in order.
Cat
Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Took it down to a gunsmith in Calgary. He said it was really low and to the left when he first looked at it. It might've taken a knock then. Should have it straightened out by tomorrow once he bore-sights and sees it. Hopefully there are no complications in the matter. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 PM

got another scope? try it and rule out the gun.