Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2010, 06:19 PM

Default Whatever you do . . . don't make your own fish fertilizer!

So, a few weeks ago I asked if anyone had made their own fish fertilizer (old thread is here).

I would strongly recommend that anyone who gets this idea into his/her head NOT DO IT. It has truly been the most disgusting experience of my life, and while I probably made around $200 worth of fertilizer I can honestly say that the vileness I have endured over the last few weeks was so not worth it.

The stirring . . . the stink . . .

The fertilizer is now spread and buried . . . and I did it all myself. And, my yard stinks. Good thing my neighbour's stinks too (he just had a truck full of cow dung delivered).

Anyone who has ever called me a "princess" (and there have been a couple of them) can now o-fish-ally kiss my backside.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 PM

just wait till the 500 cats show up and start digging your garden
Old 05-15-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck posse View Post
just wait till the 500 cats show up and start digging your garden
Can't are the one thing I'm not worried about. There are an awful lot of flies hanging around, however.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Owww man, and to think such good call bait for bear got used to make roses prettier What's the chances of you mixing up a few more 45 gal drums worth for next years bear season? Can I put a order in?

Last edited by Predator; 05-15-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Owww man, and to think such good call bait for bear got used to make roses prettier What's the chances of you mixing up a few more 45 gal drums worth for next years bear season?
Talk to Sundancefisher . . . he's got lots of perch to get rid of. I will never do this again. I could sure see it bringing the bears in . . . .

Old 05-15-2010, 08:17 PM

This sounds like a good idea , new way to Irritate the druggy neighbors next door . Might have to wait to finish healing , before I pull a stunt like this . Stay tuned for an update . This could be Operation make the druggies roll out :sHa_sarcastic lol:
Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
This sounds like a good idea , new way to Irritate the druggy neighbors next door . Might have to wait to finish healing , before I pull a stunt like this . Stay tuned for an update . This could be Operation make the druggies roll out :sHa_sarcastic lol:
you live in Edmonton, will anyone even notice?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-15-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post

Anyone who has ever called me a "princess" (and there have been a couple of them) can now o-fish-ally kiss my backside.
where does the lineup start princess?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 05-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
where does the lineup start princess?

Behind ex-husband #1 and soon to be ex-husband #2.

Soon to be husband #3 thinks I'm one of least "princessy" women he's ever met. Which is good! If I wind up talking about hubby #4 someday I might have to admit that I can be difficult.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:12 PM

I seem to recall mentioning that this experiment was going to be all kinds of bad!!

Glad to see you went through with it though.

Here kitty, kitty!!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:

Soon to be husband #3 thinks I'm one of least "princessy" women he's ever met. Which is good! If I wind up talking about hubby #4 someday I might have to admit that I can be difficult.
I dont think theres anything to admit in that area, Id say more like painfully obvious

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 05-16-2010, 08:48 PM

Cool

the smell will go away and youll have a very rich naturaly fertilized garden
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM

I grew up back home dragging wheel barrows and carts and pickups full of kelp and fish onto the vegetable gardens. We'd grow about 60 or 70 50lb sacks of spuds, about 10sack of turnip and 10 sack of carrots and a sack of parsnip and a hundred head of cabbage and such...

It was great fertilizer... and best yet, it was natural.

I remeber years after helping pop mix up the blue liquid that said you needed to wear gloves while handling it. It made stuff grow too,... Pops cyst and my 11th toe to be specific..lol
Old 05-16-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:

BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...... Tis' Funny....
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM

Yikes! Sounds like a classic case of "it sounded like a good idea at the time"

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-16-2010, 10:51 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
I grew up back home dragging wheel barrows and carts and pickups full of kelp and fish onto the vegetable gardens. We'd grow about 60 or 70 50lb sacks of spuds, about 10sack of turnip and 10 sack of carrots and a sack of parsnip and a hundred head of cabbage and such...

It was great fertilizer... and best yet, it was natural.

I remeber years after helping pop mix up the blue liquid that said you needed to wear gloves while handling it. It made stuff grow too,... Pops cyst and my 11th toe to be specific..lol
Yes, b'y, t'ousands of capelin went into our tater garden every spring; made great fertilizer!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:13 AM

You;re doing it wrong. All you have to do is put them in the garden and tiller them in. Done. No stirring or stink.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM

I just buried mine whole about a foot down, no smell here....it's when you get into doing stupid experiements with them that you'll get the stink going. Sometimes it's best not to over analyze everything.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:48 AM

Last year I cut mine into 1/2 " sized pieces, then dug up the garden and put them in then burried them. this year you cant even tell they were in there. no stink, no grossness nothing.

I think you put to much into it. next year just cut them into chunks and bury. done!

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
So how are you doing big guy? Well on the way to recovery I hope? While I recovered fully for the most part a few subtle things never fixed itself. While I can still whistle...it is not as easy as it once was. I would recommend working on the muscles and getting electric pulse therapy now that I think about it. Not a major thing but I would hate to of had the same paralysis as Chretien.

As for fish fertilizer...back when settlers first colonized the eastern side of the US...farmer would harvest hundreds of thousands of atlantic salmon and just till them into the soil to help them grow corn and wheat. They were considered a garbage fish and barely edible for convicts. The poor where forced to eat them. As dams slowly destroyed spawning grounds and migration pathways, the populations of atlantic salmon plummetted. Now the value is in the scarsity. Rich folks demanded salmon and the prices skyrocketed and over fishing destroyed some of the final US runs.

Anyways...as the perch become more scarce...hopefully...their value will rise and you will still never, ever, ever, ever see me stirring rotting perch.

Just bury them under a scoop of dirty or dig a trench under your vegetable rows. Drop in perch...chop up with shovel...bury.

Simple fertilizer...no smell, no muss, no fuss...and try and find any sign of them after 1-2 weeks. Make sure you put them in fresh or frozen and not dried out. Also you need moist soil. Otherwise...you just mummify the perch and make some archeologists very perplexed in 100,000 years.

What ritual will be derived to explain 100,000 mummified perch in the back yard of a residential neighbourhood?

Sun

P.S. Who wants to get some on Wed night?
Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
You;re doing it wrong. All you have to do is put them in the garden and tiller them in. Done. No stirring or stink.
No, I did it correctly. Due to the incredibly poor condition of the soil in our garden I wanted to seriously jump start the decomposition process . . . which I did in spades.

The front garden still smells a bit. The nice thing about the smell is that is smells fishy versus . . . I don't know how to describe the smell of commercial fish fertilizer (which is just putrid).

I'm feeling quite pleased about the way things worked out . . . but I'm still not doing it again!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
you live in Edmonton, will anyone even notice?
Hummm good thing im not from Stabmonton ... Live nearby but dont live there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
So how are you doing big guy? Well on the way to recovery I hope? While I recovered fully for the most part a few subtle things never fixed itself. While I can still whistle...it is not as easy as it once was. I would recommend working on the muscles and getting electric pulse therapy now that I think about it. Not a major thing but I would hate to of had the same paralysis as Chretien.

?

Ohhh I got over that with no standing problems . Have come into new problems as I roll my bloody eyes . If It wasnt for bad luck id have zero luck . Ive caught a really nasty Staph infection in my leg , and now that was few weeks back , and haveing IV antibiotcs for 2 weeks , Doctor tells me I caught MRSA, last week . So they send me off to Edmonton , have to slash my arm open , give me a Pick line ( which is a line that goes from my Bicep thru the vein to my heart ) , which is an IV that can be in there for a long time , and is more tollarant to the strong Antibiotics im now on . So they did that , and going in 2 times a day for 2 1/2 hrs at a time . Life really sucks lately , sitting around the house , cant lift nothing over 5 lbs because of this wire in my arm.None the less im ready to go fishing . Could be 2 more weeks and as long as 6 . Then there talking about doing Skin graft because theres a hole in my leg. So I pop on here when I can and seem to have the energy to do so .
Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM

WOW BBJ you got some poor luck for sure. Stay tuff and good luck.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot and stock View Post
WOW BBJ you got some poor luck for sure. Stay tuff and good luck.
X2!

Holy smokes, BBJ! I hope you've got someone up there helping you out with the little things. I hope you have a 100% recovery, and SOON!