Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Default I got schooled yesterday!

I was out shooting with the father in law yesterday, shooting his 45-70 using black powder and open sights at silhouettes from 100m to 500m. He made me a deal to keep it fair. He said " To keep this a fair shoot between us i'll shoot freehand and you can shoot prone from 200m to 500m using shooting sticks." I thought this won't be to fair at all for him.lol. But laughingly agreed. The rules where we used each other as a spotter, We got 3 or 4 shots at the gong at each station to adjust sights, then we shot for score. I only had to shoot freehand at 100m. He was gonna shoot freehand for all targets. Well, lets just say i was amazed. By the time we got to 500m we where all tied. After ringing gong i shot for score first. 4 misses and 1 hit. Then it was his turn. He took one shot to confirm where bullet was hitting, then shot 2 hits in a row at 500m. FREE HAND!!!! I spotted for him and both hits where center hits on the white ram silhouettes. I was impressed to say the least. He gave me the impression he could have done better. Maybe he was just taking it easy on me.lol
Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 PM

lol good story. I remember back when I used to shoot alot of black powder... and some of those guys shooting bcpr sihlouette where snipers to say the least. Never underestimate them ol timers, I been schooled like a fool many times. One of the better was a rendezvous candle shoot... wait untill dark, and shoot at a standard candle about 25 yards cutting the wick or putting out the flame with out hitting the wax. You shoot in order with as many guys as you can gather, when you miss.. you are out. Tough shot with open sights in the dark, with a flintlock. I used to think I was pretty damb good, well, we went about 20 rounds, and everybody out exept me and the guy who was going to be my father in law in about 8 years (I was only 15 or so at the time, didnt know it then). Him and I went shot for shot... and then the pressure of 60 or more people watching got to me, and I flinched, and I missed. Well, he hit it... and to prove I wasnt as hot as I figured I was, he did it again. Talk about humbled, I didnt hear the end of that for about 2 years.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
sheephunter

It is truly humbling to be around someone with that type of talent. Some of it can be learned for sure but it just seems that some are born with it.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Well your not the only who got schooled yesterday, anyone see the Flyers-Habs game last night? Lololololo'ol

GO FLYERS
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM

hahahahah....that was Pittsburg in the Montreal uniforms....lmao..the HABS will be back in town tomorrow night!!
Old 05-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Gone Hunting

"There is an exception for every rule"

The fellow with the more solid rest or "better" shooting position should win.

I remember reading a bit by Jack O'Connor where he was at a "turkey shoot".

A young fellow showed up and asked if he could shoot for a turkey with the men, but he wanted to shoot prone while they were all shooting standing, off hand.

O'Connor protested and the other guys laughed and said the kid needed a beak and it was ok. Then the kid pulled out a fancy target rifle and proceeded to win a number of turkeys.

I was in a turkey shoot on a Metis colony once and we had stapled targets to the boards on the outdoor rink at the school and were shooting a .22 at them. The fellow in line in front of me asked if he could lay down on the ice to shoot and they said it was ok. I noticed that he had been just as interested at looking at the other guys targets as I had been. There was a real tendency for their shots to be landing high and to the right.

We both lay down and aimed a little low and left and he took two turkeys and I took one.

He was a serious trapper and hunter and he and I became good friends from that day on.

Oh! and the fellow who had brought his .22 for everyone to shoot did not do well at all. That really surprised me as I thought he should "know his gun".

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 05-17-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
I noticed that he had been just as interested at looking at the other guys targets as I had been. There was a real tendency for their shots to be landing high and to the right.
Had a guy, same thing at a turkey shoot using a cadets pellet gun. Never shoot first or even third if you can help it. I outshot a guy with his own enfield rifled musket on a 300m paper target on the same principle. Ever try them carnival bb guns? Same situation... watch a few ppl first.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Gorf's a good shot, no two ways about it.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:46 PM

Funny story Jay, but i would have worded it such as letting the father in law win
Old 05-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Funny story Jay, but i would have worded it such as letting the father in law win
I was just as happy to learn from my mistakes. Plus he gave me a quick lesson in mirage. So i guess i won anyhow.lol
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
I was just as happy to learn from my mistakes. Plus he gave me a quick lesson in mirage. So i guess i won anyhow.lol
Too funny.