Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Old 05-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Hey fella's , ever hear of divide and conquer! The bunny huggers are laughing their azz off. We all enjoy hunting right, lets respect everyones right to hunt in the fashion they see fit so long as it's in a humane manner. Truth is we all watch too much TV where these dudes are using all the new gadgets that enable them to make shots that were unheard of 20 years ago(no insult intended TJ). We can't stop progress all we can hope for is people understand their limitations and that of their gear. Hunt how you like , with what you like, and be damn glad we can
Old 05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

has anyone ever looked at wikipedia or webster's definition of hypocrite? sorry flint, but your last post would be a very satisfactory example.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
If you Keep telling yourself your better then everyone else Mr Villemaire you might just start to believe it.
Oh, I'm pretty sure he believes he is better than everybody else, he is just having trouble converting all the non believers.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:25 PM
sheephunter

switchsl, if you were truly trying to avoid a fight and illecit conversation, you've got a lot to learn about messageboards.

With that said, you'll see a lot of people on here said they choose the weapon they hunt with for a variety of reasons and those reasons and choices of weapon may change from day to day. That describes me to a "T" I never know what rifle or other hurler of projectiles I'll pull out of the gun room until I actually walk down there and see what mood I'm in. Please respect that rather than asking "why bother" when I'm in the mood to use my in-line. I respect your love of the old ways. Please respect my love of different ways. I really enjoy all the unique challenges that each method and weapon offers.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 PM

The old traditional smoke poles are cool for sure. My uncle bought a 50cal hawkens with a blank stock and did all the costom carving himself. Likely the coolest gun i've ever shot but, if my buck of a lifetime was standing 150 yards away and my inline was beside his hawkens I know witch one I would grab. I got my muzzle loader because there gerneraly more accurate and more dependable in the field( rain, fog, wind). I have enogh trouble hitting animals sometimes lol I think it's a good idea to eliminate as many things as possible that could make a bad shot. Not saying that tradional rifles can't be accurate but IMO an sst has to be more accurate than a round ball.Rock or spear? So simple even a caveman can do it.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Clearly I have alot to learn about message boards, the personalities here, and interpretations of wording. I have done a fair amount of hunting, a little trapping, a pile of shooting, and alot of reenacting. Im constantly trying to learn and challenge others to do the same, especially when it comes to involvment in our rights. I was very active in the fight against bill c-68, executive for a gun club... blah blah blah. I have never managed to spark an argument in person, infact if you knew me you would see Im one of the easiest going people around. Like I said earlier, alot is lost in translation from thought to text. Without the expresion of emotion and intent one tends to jump at what may not be the intended purpose or meaning based on their own interpretation of a particular statement. I will be certian to be more carefull in the future, as Im here to learn, possibly meet some new friends, and get back into the way of life I lost when I came to this province. I still think your powder smells funny, but hey... I wouldnt pass up a shot with one of those high tech muzzleloaders at the range, cause all guns are cool, and I always make my longrifle welcome to the crowd it seems to attract. Preservation of tradition is something I am very passionate about and I obviously offended some people trying to get that across. Did anybody read the brief article I posted? Its things like this that get me going... simply put... I hate to see it going to the chopping block.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
switchsl, if you were truly trying to avoid a fight and illecit conversation, you've got a lot to learn about messageboards.

With that said, you'll see a lot of people on here said they choose the weapon they hunt with for a variety of reasons and those reasons and choices of weapon may change from day to day. That describes me to a "T" I never know what rifle or other hurler of projectiles I'll pull out of the gun room until I actually walk down there and see what mood I'm in. Please respect that rather than asking "why bother" when I'm in the mood to use my in-line. I respect your love of the old ways. Please respect my love of different ways. I really enjoy all the unique challenges that each method and weapon offers.
But don't you understand? That makes you inferior to his uber ninja hunting abilities! And if you can't gloat about your superiority on a message board then what is the sense of being that dam good - or is it insecure? Truly I'm so tired of the "look at me and how special I am because I hunt with _______ only not like you troglodytes".
Old 05-20-2010, 06:33 PM

You seem to miss the point entirely 209.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Nope not at all, this ain't the first post like this by any means.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchsl View Post
You seem to miss the point entirely 209.
It appears that the regulars on this forum are taking our opinions personally towards them. I never singled anyone out, did you? Maybe they saw the light that they are dependant on inline muzzleloaders, range finders, trail camera's and such and lashing out because they can't handle the truth. Who Knows? I don't use any technology gadgits nor will I ever will. I generally hunt the old fashion way----rifle, knife, bino's and rope and ammo. Todys hunters have a packpack full of technology just in case they might get lost in the 1/4 section they are hunting. Very few practice true woodsmanship/fine hunting techniques. Heaven forbid if they permitted handgun hunting. If they did you know who will be first at the Bass Pro Shop----the one's who can't decide what they want to hunt with.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM

I tend to go light as well.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-20-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
I don't use any technology gadgits nor will I ever will. I generally hunt the old fashion way----rifle, knife, bino's and rope and ammo.

Ummm....what you consider the 'old fashioned' way is a heck of a lot different than what some consider 'old fashioned'. Your Berger bullets, your Mendel boots, your Weatherby rifles and scopes, your binos, etc, etc is all 'technology gadgits' whether you like it or not. Its called evolution. Some use more than others, but to condone the practice while you're doing it yourself is laughable...

Having technology has nothing to do with not having the knowledge and the ability to hunt with true hunting/woodsman skills.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Chuck,

You're such a minimalist. A true 'purist' as some would say here....
Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

Chuck you have to give me your secret on how you can haul everything you need in a single tiny trailer like that!
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
It appears that the regulars on this forum are taking our opinions personally towards them. I never singled anyone out, did you? Maybe they saw the light that they are dependant on inline muzzleloaders, range finders, trail camera's and such and lashing out because they can't handle the truth. Who Knows? I don't use any technology gadgits nor will I ever will. I generally hunt the old fashion way----rifle, knife, bino's and rope and ammo. Todys hunters have a packpack full of technology just in case they might get lost in the 1/4 section they are hunting. Very few practice true woodsmanship/fine hunting techniques. Heaven forbid if they permitted handgun hunting. If they did you know who will be first at the Bass Pro Shop----the one's who can't decide what they want to hunt with.
Things in life are always changing,some for the good,some for the bad,so Just let it Be.In six months it will be Time,

Last edited by whitetail Junkie; 05-21-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Heaven forbid if they permitted handgun hunting. If they did you know who will be first at the Bass Pro Shop----the one's who can't decide what they want to hunt with.
Ya, new hunting opportunities are the last thing we want.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ya, new hunting opportunities are the last thing we want.
That's the problem with society today, they want more and more and never satisfied with the basics. How many more opportunities do you need to get out and hunt? Alberta is the most diverse province in Canada with her landscape and wildlife. You sound like a spoiled child who wants more. It sounds like you want more than you need. Wanting the use of weapon variety is a very poor excuse to promote hunting. Be satisfied of what you have and not what you don't have.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:52 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
That's the problem with society today, they want more and more and never satisfied with the basics. How many more opportunities do you need to get out and hunt? Alberta is the most diverse province in Canada with her landscape and wildlife. You sound like a spoiled child who wants more. It sounds like you want more than you need. Wanting the use of weapon variety is a very poor excuse to promote hunting. Be satisfied of what you have and not what you don't have.
Man, for 53 years old, you sure are a crusty old curmudgeon. LOL

Your hypocritical stance on technology and your constant belittling of your fellow hunters speaks volumes Gary.....I think your Son offered some good advice.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:53 AM

Well, its off to the military supply or used something or other for boots today cause I cant afford real ones. No Im not taking my long gun cause I cant pay for the new barrel I need, as its the second I shot out (some help finding a new one in AB would be nice), but the 12g cap gun and slugs are coming, as is my baby the m70 '06 my father bought me when I was 13. Hopefuy the bear hunt will be good. My gear includes a plastic tarp and mat to sleep on, a canvas one to sleep under, two wool blankets and a fluffy sponge pillow. My pack as always is a yucca bag circa 1950, one hand made and a grohman blade, belt axe, some stern wipe, whistle, compass, bits of cord, waterproof matches, bottle of meds, extra boot sox, stanfields head to toe, jeans, My capote for evening and regular carhart jacket for walkin. I cook in a cast pan and pot over the fire, that Ill light with liquid dinosaur. As you can see I have a mix of old and new, as I mentioned before... because I cant really deal without it. When I had the coin to buy calls, rangers, scent, I never did because I never thought it necessary. I do have a pair of expensive bino's though, and Id sure like summer boots you mountian guys recomended. I dont like being called a liar, or a hypocrite... I tried to explain myself and I appologised more than once for my poor choice of wording, and I believe this is the only thread I have had a problem in, but my memory is poor maybe I did it someplace else as said. Never been a part of a forum before, but read alot and it seems they are all the same with the arguments and such. I'll be up around slave lake someplace I believe (not sure as Im mooching a ride as a tag along) but if you see a camp sporting a canvass leanto a silver jeep and a red tent youre all welcome to sit by our fire, smokies and KD is dinner, bring your own plate.
In the mean time try to stop bikkerin amongst each other, it seems clear we all have different gear, ways to use it, and opinions but we all enjoy the same pass time. Many seem to be on a first name basis here, and I imagine youre all intelligent enough to act your age, even if you dont like one another, or dont like me. Thats ok, cant please everybody right? I cant think of a conversation carried on like this face to face with the petty insults since I was in my early teens, and I think you would all be embarassed to be seen doing so by your peers, I know I am. Im sure some more will be said about what I said just now, and how I contradict myself, seems some cant accept an appology and explanation once they get a bee n there bonnet, so it will be my last post in this thread. I still havent read any comment or concern we may loose our primitive weapons season in places... did anybody bother to look into that? It was sort of my point all along, not who has a bigger pekker, or who uses what to hunt what and how uber ninja they think they are for doing so.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Man, for 53 years old, you sure are a crusty old curmudgeon. LOL

Your hypocritical stance on technology and your constant belittling of your fellow hunters speaks volumes Gary.....I think your Son offered some good advice.
Is that your best shot? I'm not compelled to follow the mainstream like sheep in a pasture. Equipment that I use is from yester years technology not todays technology. I don't really care what other hunters feel or think of me, I can't control their feelings or thoughts. I have lots of laughs at "want a be" hunters who are dependent on "todays technology".(very superficial and no depth) It is also a poor excuse to promote hunting. Let the range finders, trail camera's, baiting bears, GPS and etc do all the work for you. It's like giving a kid in school the answers to the test and not letting him figure it out for himself. I would never introduce a new person to hunting with todays technology. It will be accommplished by old fashion walking, stalking, reading sign, dragging/frame packing (no argo's or quads). All of my animals and my son's were harvested without today's technology or in a ground blind or tree stand. Yes my son did offer me advice, and it is because there is a bonding between us that you and may others will never know, but until you have your own son you can make that statement. You may have all of your friends and peers around you where they come and go, but I will always have my son.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:55 AM

Not sure which foot you want to take out of your mouth first flint, but you should start to think before you talk the holy talk.
"I don't use any technology gadgits nor will I ever will. I generally hunt the old fashion way----rifle, knife, bino's and rope and ammo. Todys hunters have a packpack full of technology just in case they might get lost in the 1/4 section they are hunting."

"Hey guys and gals, I'm 53 this year and the older age is creeping up on me. My hearing is gone for the worst and I was advised by the Doc to take better care. My wife of 31 years is always repeating things---not that things have really changed since we met. Truly, does anyone have experience with "low profile" electronic ear muffs. I researched the Web but I don't know which one is the best. Any of you experienced gals or guys with these muffs let me know. I will need them on the range and for bird hunting, it's a must."

Sure seems like somebody just likes to spout off for the sake of spouting off....
Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Is that your best shot? I'm not compelled to follow the mainstream like sheep in a pasture. Equipment that I use is from yester years technology not todays technology. I don't really care what other hunters feel or think of me, I can't control their feelings or thoughts. I have lots of laughs at "want a be" hunters who are dependent on "todays technology".(very superficial and no depth) It is also a poor excuse to promote hunting. Let the range finders, trail camera's, baiting bears, GPS and etc do all the work for you. It's like giving a kid in school the answers to the test and not letting him figure it out for himself. I would never introduce a new person to hunting with todays technology. It will be accommplished by old fashion walking, stalking, reading sign, dragging/frame packing (no argo's or quads). All of my animals and my son's were harvested without today's technology or in a ground blind or tree stand. Yes my son did offer me advice, and it is because there is a bonding between us that you and may others will never know, but until you have your own son you can make that statement. You may have all of your friends and peers around you where they come and go, but I will always have my son.
LOL...wasn't really meant as a shot.

I do love your selective use of technology and how it fits into your definition of being a real hunter. The word hypocritical keeps coming to mind. I'd love to know what today's technology includes and excludes. Seems to me centrefire rifles, magnifying scopes, and controlled expansion bullets would all fit into that definition but it seems you do not. Oh ya, that word hypocrite again..............

I respect the fact that you get pleasure from relying on only certain parts of modern technology...it's too bad you can't extend that same courtesy to others......

And despite all your blustering Gary, I've seen Ty's photos and there is camo, bipods, and rifle scopes in them so your arguement is somewhat moot despite your claims of only doing things the old ways. Oh ya, that hypocrite word again. Just let hunters enjoy hunting for hunting...............

Last edited by sheephunter; 05-21-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
"Hey guys and gals, I'm 53 this year and the older age is creeping up on me. My hearing is gone for the worst and I was advised by the Doc to take better care. My wife of 31 years is always repeating things---not that things have really changed since we met. Truly, does anyone have experience with "low profile" electronic ear muffs. I researched the Web but I don't know which one is the best. Any of you experienced gals or guys with these muffs let me know. I will need them on the range and for bird hunting, it's a must."

Sure seems like somebody just likes to spout off for the sake of spouting off....
Walkers are good electronic ear protection
Cat
Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 AM

I agree, they are great. I personally think everybody should have them that does any amount of shooting. But with flint they would fall under the "electronic gadgetry", that he never uses.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I do love your selective use of technology and how it fits into your definition of being a real hunter. The word hypocritical keeps coming to mind. I'd love to know what today's technology includes and excludes. Seems to me centrefire rifles, magnifying scopes, and controlled expansion bullets would all fit into that definition but it seems you do not. Oh ya, that word hypocrite again..............
This right here sums it up. Flint somehow thinks that HE decides what is 'traditional' and what is not. Look back 100 years and I'm sure there are no Weatherby's shooting Bergers, binoculars, Meindl boots, scoped rifles, pickup trucks, electronic hearing protection, etc, etc.

Flint decides what is 'traditional' and apparantly anyone else who uses even the SLIGHT bit more technology than him is a horrible un-skilled punk hunter. Then again, I dont see Flint running around with a stick-bow and moccasins. Whats that word again? Hypocrite? I'm sure flint would take some pretty good offense when a stick-bow hunter told him he was relying on a pile of technology to get it done....glass walls and rocks come to mind...

Get out there and hunt. People who need to judge themselves based on what OTHER hunters use or dont use are pretty pathetic IMO.

Then again, flint can't actually be serious here...and I'm hoping his posts are in jest with LOADS of sarcasm.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Not sure which foot you want to take out of your mouth first flint, but you should start to think before you talk the holy talk.
"I don't use any technology gadgits nor will I ever will. I generally hunt the old fashion way----rifle, knife, bino's and rope and ammo. Todys hunters have a packpack full of technology just in case they might get lost in the 1/4 section they are hunting."

I dont know if Flint is really that Hypocritical but I know that Tubby2 character that was Banned awhile back sure was..

Just look at this quote from him

Quote:
Looking at the big picture regarding this talk forum, there has been alot of mistreatment of hunters upon hunters. This talk forum is a poor excuse for outdoor information. We have tons of text books, magazines, hunting and shooting clubs, fish and game clubs, game wardens, other government officials and yes the internet for research and information. But this talk forum is a joke with all the criticisium, fighting, bickering and no nonscence dialog.

I am sure happy that guy isnt around anymore
Old 05-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
LOL...wasn't really meant as a shot.

I respect the fact that you get pleasure from relying on only certain parts of modern technology...it's too bad you can't extend that same courtesy to others......

And despite all your blustering Gary, I've seen Ty's photos and there is camo, bipods, and rifle scopes in them so your arguement is somewhat moot despite your claims of only doing things the old ways. Oh ya, that hypocrite word again. Just let hunters enjoy hunting for hunting...............
Looks like I got the regulars all flustered up. I don't condem hunting, only some hunting methods and "today's" technology. I will stand by my guns and continue hunting the way I always have with by son. After our long morning walk in the northern forest I will wait with anticipation for my son's two arms raised in the air, a sign that a "big buck is down". It was taken on ground level without any trendy equipment and accomplished the old tradtional way. This is something that you that you will "NEVER" experience in life Schwanky.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Looks like I got the regulars all flustered up. I don't condem hunting, only some hunting methods and "today's" technology. I will stand by my guns and continue hunting the way I always have with by son. After our long morning walk in the northern forest I will wait with anticipation for my son's two arms raised in the air, a sign that a "big buck is down". It was taken on ground level without any trendy equipment and accomplished the old tradtional way. This is something that you that you will "NEVER" experience in life Schwanky.
You do crack me up Gary. I've taken plenty of critters and helped others take plenty of critters off the ground utilizing the exact same equipment I've seen you using in Ty's photos........I just don't feel it makes me superior. Heck, I've even done it without the use of all those high tech gadgets that you rely on but that's just a personal choice that day. But I guess if you were a real hunter you'd do it off the ground with a longbow hey but you seem to need to rely on all those fancy gadgets like scopes, bipods, camo and those new fangled high BC bullets so you can shoot long distances....... There are some guys on here that spew crap like this just to cause problems but the scary thing is, I think you actually belive it..............
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Administrator

This thread has run it's course, closed
Closed Thread