Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Default Polarized Glasses

I recently bought a good pair of Ray-Ban polarized gl*****es, i went out to to Dickson Dam last night and wow what a difference these things make. I could literally count sand grains on the bottom of the river, I couldn't see anything when i took them off. Only managed to catch one pike but i saw lots of everything, best glasses i have ever owned. They will be in my tackle box for life.

A good pair of polarized glasses is a must for all anglers i think.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 AM

X2. The only problem I hate is when you looking at your sonar or other lcd screen. Makes it difficult to see, they should really fix that.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 PM

On my third pair of Ray-ban Polarized glasses, they are well worth the money. But yes, you do get a weird visual when you look at different surfaces, like looking out a tinted window, it can appear to be a spotty pattern. I also notice that it locks out the view of my GPS if the sun is hitting it in the right direction. You will also love these glasses in the winter!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Smile

My wife and my son wanted to buy me some nice sun glasses last year for my birthday. So I picked out some Maui Jim polarized glasses. Man am I a big fan of these glasses. Absolutely the best glasses I've ever owned.

I bought mine with glass lenses in them. But they have various styles that also come in plastic. I recently dropped them on a concrete floor and cracked one lens. I took them back to Iris Optical where we got them from. I told them the story about me dropping them. They said it would be about $40 to replace the lens. No problem I said. It looks like the other one had a bit of a scratch too. So I told them just to replace both. After all it was my fault I dropped them.

I got a call a few weeks after I gave them the glasses. They were back. So I dropped in to pick them up and they said Maui Jim replaced the lenses for free. Said it must have been a warranty issue. WOW. Talk about customer service. So for me it's two thumbs up for Maui Jim's and also for Iris Optical.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 05-26-2010, 03:57 PM

While on this topic, one thing I have always wondered is, are all polarized glasses considered equal? I have a pair of Oakley gascans, and while I love wearing them and they do help me see fish in the water, I am curious if I could see better with a different pair of glasses?
Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 PM

I have had many different types and found Maui Jim to be the best for me-but others say that Ray BAn is best for them. Try them out if you can.

t
Old 05-26-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Man am I a big fan of these glasses. Absolutely the best glasses I've ever owned.

Cheers,
Rob
X2 I love mine too!
I bought a pair of Maui Jims with glass lenses about six years ago and wore them faithfully. Then they disappeared one day and I couldn't find them. A few months later I bought another pair, this time with polycarbonate lenses. They are very nice sunglasses and half the weight of my original pair. Recently I was rooting around in the garage and found my old Maui Jims in one of my hunting jackets. Bonus! I notice that the lenses are getting scratched up a bit. After reading your post I think I’ll check to see how much replacement lenses will cost.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 AM

Smile

Chad, they said my lenses were about $40 each to replace. A far cry from the $350 for the glasses. Try sending them back to MJ yourself. You might just be surprised. http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/st...rm_10001_11601 Repair prices are on the website under service.

From their website.
Send Repairs to:

Maui Jim Canada, Inc.
Repair Department
6535 Millcreek Drive, #56
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2M2
Canada
1-888-628-4546
(309) 691-3700

email repair.ca@mauijim.com

When I was in Iris Optical buying my MJ's they had a display for the MJ's which had a parrot on the picture. With the polarized they said you could see the parrot. Without you couldn't see it. I use my Serengetti's and I could see it. But when I tried on the MJ's it was crystal clear. That's when I was instantly sold. Maybe it's a selling tactic. But it worked with me. It's like fishing I guess. At that point they had me hook, line and sinker.

Rob
Old 05-27-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitshot View Post
While on this topic, one thing I have always wondered is, are all polarized glasses considered equal? I have a pair of Oakley gascans, and while I love wearing them and they do help me see fish in the water, I am curious if I could see better with a different pair of glasses?
All polarized glasses are not equal, by a long shot.

I purchased in inexpensive pair from BPS, and there is a lot of distortion in the lenses. I wear corrective lenses, so this is something I picked up on the first time I used them (put not while trying them on it the store), as I'm used to wearing glasses to see.

My standard daily wear glasses are a Serengeti frame, with a Nikon prescription lens that has a Maui Jim polychromatic tint.

Maui Jim is considered that "standard" for polarized fishing glasses. That said, there are a couple of new Oakley lenses specifically for fishing that may give Maui Jim a run for the money. They Ray-Bans are also good.

Before totally replacing your glasses, it might be worth seeing if you can just get the Shallow Blue or Deep Blue polarized lenses for your Gascans. It may be a long shot.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Chad, they said my lenses were about $40 each to replace. A far cry from the $350 for the glasses. Try sending them back to MJ yourself. You might just be surprised. http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/st...rm_10001_11601 Repair prices are on the website under service.

From their website.
Send Repairs to:

Maui Jim Canada, Inc.
Repair Department
6535 Millcreek Drive, #56
Mississauga, Ontario L5N 2M2
Canada

1-888-628-4546
(309) 691-3700

email repair.ca@mauijim.com

When I was in Iris Optical buying my MJ's they had a display for the MJ's which had a parrot on the picture. With the polarized they said you could see the parrot. Without you couldn't see it. I use my Serengetti's and I could see it. But when I tried on the MJ's it was crystal clear. That's when I was instantly sold. Maybe it's a selling tactic. But it worked with me. It's like fishing I guess. At that point they had me hook, line and sinker.

Rob

Thanks Rob!

It looks like it will be about $130 plus shipping for new lenses, but as you noted this is a far cry from the initial cost. I'm sure they will be like new when I get them back.

Chad