Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2008, 07:25 AM

Default Muir Lake Report for July 6th

Decided to sneak in an evening last night at Muir. Headed there with a bud and the 12 foot aluminum. We got to the lake at 4 p.m., just in time for a big thunder storm. There was a mass exit of anglers from the lake leaving just us in the parking in the truck watching the incredible storm go by. As soon as the storm was far enough away we launched the boat.

Lots of fish jumping everywhere. Electric storms seem to get the fish going. Saw some real beauties jumping and not just this years stock. Nice to see the big ones active...we were hoping.

We trolled sinking lines over the the island in about 15 FOW using small crystal flash leech patterns. Right away I was getting hits and it wasn't long before I racked up some small 10 inchers. After about a half hour I had a big hit and then the line started to sing. A large fish left the water several times and I knew that I had a good one on. After a decent battle I netted a fat football style bow. Shortly after that my buddy also had a good hookup and it was another football replica. This one fought very well though and took a bit to get to the net.

From there we caught several more small ones and called it a day by 7:30 p.m.

Another storm was moving in fast. We were just finishing packing up and it hit. We got pretty soaked even in rain gear and being out there for 2 minutes.

Two gents were almost to the island in belly boats, no jackets, no rain gear when the storm hit. I hope those two made out alright and made it back. Nasty weather!

Here are pics of the two fatties (fish that is):

First fatty.

2nd fatty.

Great short trip out to Muir!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 AM

Nice catch!!!

How is the fishing on the shore at Muir Lake???
Is it a bit less crowded than Hasse Lake?

I might go there sometimes this week.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:44 AM

Muir is definately harder to fish from shore than say Hasse. There are lots and lots and lots of weeds in Muir. The first bay where the boat launch is even has 7 feet of weeds in 10 feet of water, and that is out in the middle. All around the lake that appears to be the same with lots of weeds at shore, however, the trout were definately in the weeds and jumping at shore and well within casting range. Just giving you the "weed heads up" so you know ahead of time.

If you go, best of luck and hope you catch a fatty

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:35 PM

Also, don't forget Muir has special regulations.

Flies or lures only (no bait/nothing with scent)
Keep limits are one over 20" (50cm) per day
Open May 01 - Oct 31

Cheers,
Doc
Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM

I am having a self debate if I should head out to Muir Lake and try to hook into a nice football of a trout (maybe a couple like the ones pictured above ) or spend another Saturday at Jackfish and go for the pike. I have been all about pike and 'eyes this spring so far so maybe I should change it up. Decisions, decisions! What dio you guys think? Any updated fishing reports on Muir?
Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Default New to Alberta fishing

hey, what would you suggest I use on a dry fly rod? Would a pontoon boat be suffice for muir lake? Thanks
Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorhunter View Post
hey, what would you suggest I use on a dry fly rod? Would a pontoon boat be suffice for muir lake? Thanks
pontoon boat is more than adequate for muir, try using the flies suggested on the information boads near the lake.

(backswimmers, leeches, chironomids all seem to work very well)