Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM

Default Slave Lake

Anyone fish Slave last weekend? How was it?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM

Was there yesterday and fishing was good all afternoon catching them in 9 to 6 feet of water with jigs right on bottom.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:13 PM

Was out at the driftpile sat evening and then out tostrawberry on siunday morningish did allright, caught bigger fish, i thought at strawberry but the would say different so what do i know!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM

My son & I drove up to LSL Friday night and tented it. Spent most of the day Saturday and all morning Sunday on the water. I confess I'm no fisherman, but I'm learning slowly. Even so, I caught & released about 35 walleyes and one pike. My son with the good hands caught about 60 walleyes and one 35 inch pike! We used bouncers when the wind moved the boat too much, and went to jigs on the bottom later. When we arrived someone told us that some days the fishing was poor, and some days you could use a bottle cap and they'd bite. So before we left we tried a bunch of other lures like a clicking rapala, 5 of diamonds, etc. Not quite as effective, but still caught a few more. Forgot to bring the bottle cap! Most of the eyes were between 14 and 18 inches, but we released several in the 21-22 inch range, and of course we had to eat a couple, too! Best fishing weekend ever! Sorry this is so long
Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Going to give it a try on Thursday, where the best place to launch a boat, close to town??
Old 06-07-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEE View Post
Going to give it a try on Thursday, where the best place to launch a boat, close to town??
If you go North of Slave on Hwy 88 take a right after the Lesser Slave River. The municipal boat launch is down the road about .5 kms

I haven't heard reports lately but the water was low this spring. It should be better now.

Canyon Creek is about 15 mins West of Slave. the boat launch there is good, and there is a campsite close by. Also a tavern right across the road from the campsite. Great for the booze, maybe not for the sleeping.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:32 PM

We launched at spruce point and the water was shallow but able to get out without any problems. 2.5 feet was the lowest I saw on the fish finder.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Slave lake

Just back from LSL. (first time fishing on the Slave Lake). Stay at Spruce Point campsite and marina for 3 days.Like Simmered says water verry shallow.
Me and Wife released about 20-30 fish a day. Cathing mostly in 9 feet of
water.Biggest one (51 cm.)cought in 13 feet, all bottom jigging with leaches
or minnows. We try to explore the lake ,but lake is so" BIG".I thing to big for my 16 foot Crestliner with 90 hp.