Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-07-2010, 08:05 PM

Default 16 gauge shotgun

Anyone shoot one.
Is there any steel or non toxic loads avaiable?
Looks like some lead around,
Would be nice if they would rechamber 16g to 3",
Can you get factory slugs? I havn't being able to find any. or do i have to reload.
Thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM

IIRC both Federal and Winchester load steel for the 16, and i would not be surprised of Kent does as well - the problem is FINDING IT!
Also, you may be far better off saving your hulls and reloading.
Nice shot is nontoxic, and works as well as lead - maybe better!
You can get all the stuff you need to reload from this guy.
http://www.bilozir.net/
I have the powder you need unless you are going to the city and can pick it up there.
I also have load data for the 16.
I shoot them but in a muzzle loader and black powder cartridge gun, so you would not want my loads!!
I do have some factory stuff you can have however.....
Cat
Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Default Got one

Took me years to find it but eventually found the Browning Sweet Sixteen I was looking for in winnipeg a few years ago. lead is available but not popular gauge in the West so many of my 16 customers (about 5 of us) usually order a case in spring to make sure we have it because the little bit most shops order disappears quickly into the first of the season. Seen steel fbut it is even rarer.
fun little gun, now if I could just find the 28 gauge to go with it!!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:04 AM

Thanks guys, Cat i will drop you a pm, and would like to take you up on that offer, I have been looking at Bilozir, might take a trip down south, once i get the mechanics truck paid off, and treat myself to a nice sub gauge u/o for upland hunting. For now just picked up a bps at a nice price.
Used a 16g years ago in NZ, for quail and phesants. nice and light.
Will most likley end up reloading, but for now will try to stock up before game bird season gets going.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
Thanks guys, Cat i will drop you a pm, and would like to take you up on that offer, I have been looking at Bilozir, might take a trip down south, once i get the mechanics truck paid off, and treat myself to a nice sub gauge u/o for upland hunting. For now just picked up a bps at a nice price.
Used a 16g years ago in NZ, for quail and phesants. nice and light.
Will most likley end up reloading, but for now will try to stock up before game bird season gets going.
IIRC, Mr. Bilozir's main waterfowl gun is/was a parker 16 gauge, but he uses a 20 for early season ducks.
he has an order in the works for some custom SXS10 gauge Ugartecheas as well.
I'd love to get one, but for me it would be a wall hanger- can't shoot the big stuff anymore!!
Cat
Old 06-08-2010, 08:16 AM

If lugging around a 12 ga is not what you want to do get yourself a 20 ga. It seems the 16 just isn't popular anymore. You aren't giving up much moving from 16 to 20 except the frustration of finding ammo.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM

If I could own only one shotgun and have no problem finding shells, it would be a 16 gauge.

I find the 16 gauge to be exactly what I enjoy and like in a shotgun gauge.

Great upland gun, no problem with ducks and fills in nicely now and then at the goose blind.

I have had three and am looking now at buying an O/U.

Even Cdn tire was selling non tox 16 gauge last year.

I have a dozen or so Imperial 16 gauge slugs...

Imperial half brass #5 0r #6 was a favourite shell for hunting ducks with my 16 gauge ...

If you want a cheap shooter, then go 12 gauge.

If ya want some uber class,...pony up,...the 16 is waiting!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 AM

my buddy uses a 16 gauge , nice little pump winchester . Dropped a jack last saturday actually with it . I still see lead shells at Canadian tire for it as well. I had a single shot cooey given to me try out , haven't decided if I'm gonna keep it yet
Old 06-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Banned

Will Bilozar told me he sells the complete setup for reloading 16 gauge slugs.

I am going to try some of his Euro slugs that he sells.

If your into shotshell reloading Will sure sells some neat stuff.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Default Bps & 16g

Have had a couple of goes with the little bps pump, very nice. quick and fast to point, was doing well at busting clays, Met Cat at the range and shot a round of trap for the 1st time, and not so good! Much hader to hit when you'r back a bit.
Managed to find a dozen boxes of field around fort mac, and lac la bich sports has lots in stock.
Have ordered a press & 16 gauge manual from Will at Bilozir.
Managed to find 16g slugs in fort Mac as well.
If anyone has any advice on nontoxic loads for 16 please feel free to drop me a line.
Even got a dopey bunny, that run out of the bush while I was checking patterns last night.
For now the two 12G are playing second fiddle.
Am enjoying the 16.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Have had a couple of goes with the little bps pump, very nice. quick and fast to point, was doing well at busting clays, Met Cat at the range and shot a round of trap for the 1st time, and not so good! Much hader to hit when you'r back a bit.
Managed to find a dozen boxes of field around fort mac, and lac la bich sports has lots in stock.
Have ordered a press & 16 gauge manual from Will at Bilozir.
Managed to find 16g slugs in fort Mac as well.
If anyone has any advice on nontoxic loads for 16 please feel free to drop me a line.
Even got a dopey bunny, that run out of the bush while I was checking patterns last night.
For now the two 12G are playing second fiddle.
Am enjoying the 16.
I have a 16 gauge manual you can borrow!
Cat
Old 06-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Anyone shoot one.
Is there any steel or non toxic loads avaiable?
Looks like some lead around,
Would be nice if they would rechamber 16g to 3",
Can you get factory slugs? I havn't being able to find any. or do i have to reload.
Thanks.
My son has a 16 ga. SxS L.C. Smith that has been totally restored by Martini, Hagn and Turnbull. He also has 10 boxes of bismuth shot that I gave him but he won't shot the dam gun. He wants to keep it as a "Safe Queen". It would be so nice for upland and pond hunting over decoys. If they chambered the 16 ga. to 3" then ammunition manufactures will have to make the shells for them. The 16 is avery classic shotgun, but not popular in North America like it is in Europe.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
My son has a 16 ga. SxS L.C. Smith that has been totally restored by Martini, Hagn and Turnbull. He also has 10 boxes of bismuth shot that I gave him but he won't shot the dam gun. He wants to keep it as a "Safe Queen". It would be so nice for upland and pond hunting over decoys. If they chambered the 16 ga. to 3" then ammunition manufactures will have to make the shells for them. The 16 is avery classic shotgun, but not popular in North America like it is in Europe.
Thanks for the Gun Dad!!! The 16 Gauge is on the bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotguns.jpg (78.8 KB, 34 views)