Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Default Random Camping- Once and For All

Hey All,

I've been trying to figure out a couple of things over the last couple of years and still have yet to get a solid answer, even from SRD.

Is there anywhere to carry out random camping within 100 km of Edmonton? It looks like Redwater Natural Area is a possibility, but then I have to listen to 1000 people on ATVs all weekend, which isn't my idea of a good time (I'm not knocking them, I would just rather try to find somewhere quiet).

My second question is this. Is it legal to camp along the North Saskatchewan River? I have asked this question to numerous people and angencies and recevied conflicting answers (yes, absolutely not, yes if you're above the high water line, yes if you're 30 m back from the water, yes if you're 100 m back from the water, no and if you stay on adjacent lands you're trespassing). If someone can provide some clarification on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

When we camp, we try to practice no-trace camping and are always as respectful as we can possibly be to the environment and other campers. We usually end up heading down south to Crowsnest Pass to randomly camp, but damn am I tired of driving .

Thanks for any input/advice.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Default Open your options

You seem to be going from one extreme to the other in regards to travel. Crowsnest pass is quite a drive but Edson, Hinton, Swan Hills, and Drayton Valley aren't all that far. If you extend your option to 200 kms you will have many more options.

As for the other part - a wise old troll once told me "it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission"

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 AM

The rules state 30 m from a body of water.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 AM

Indeed, those are two extremes.

Let me clarify (sorry for not including this before). We have two very good friends that live near CNP, so we often go and visit them down there. Another major reason for wanting to stay up here this weekend is because we are doing a trail race on Saturday near Edmonton, so we will have to return to the City to complete it. Also, our friends from CNP are coming up and we don't want to disappoint
Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 PM

Any more insight? Clearly we have a problem here in Alberta when it is this difficult to answer a simple and common question.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banack View Post
Any more insight? Clearly we have a problem here in Alberta when it is this difficult to answer a simple and common question.
Google is your friend. What else ya looking for? Pretty plain and simple. I see no problem.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 06-15-2010, 01:13 PM

The Parks website says Day Use only at Redwater Natural area.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Fort Assiniboine Sandhills Wildland Park. See link

http://albertaparks.ca/siteinformation.aspx?id=366
Old 06-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Default Random Camping

Random camping is allowed on crown land which includes river systems that carve up the crown land. There are areas of crown land where camping is not allowed as it is probably to protect or prevent disturburance of rare vegetation, wildlife or their habitat. The local SRD office, near to where you wish to camp, will have maps or information for these protected areas. I would not expect an SRD office outside of the area to have a site specific information on protected area's. General rules of random camping - stay 30 metres from any water course, 14 day maximum stay in one location, don't cut trees and vegetation (use existing or natural openings), no construction of solid shelters (walls & roofs). If you practice no-trace camping then you are doing it right and leading by example! There is a free pamphlet (all SRD offices) called "Respect the Land" - Camping on Public Land.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Default Quiet camping

Get permission from a land owner ,same as asking for permission to hunt. You could have the place to your self.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 AM

Location: I currently live in Calgary, but for 100 nights per year I live in my RV
Default Your best resources for Random Camping in Alberta

I found Alberta's Forest Land Use Zones Website to be the best resource regarding random camping in Alberta. It was hard to find but answers all the questions I had.

There is a free pamphlet online or at the SRD offices called "Respect the Land" - Camping on Public Land

All the best!

Alberta's Campgrounds

Tags
edmonton, north saskatchewan river, random camping