Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM

Default Fishfinder

Hello all. I am putting a fishing boat together and have been looking at fishfinders. I am looking at the Garmin 300C, but I really have not used one ever and am owndering on anyones opinions about fishfinders. What make do you like or dislike? Are there certain features that one wouldnt want to be with out? I am using a jon boat hull and have put in a console and will outfit with a 40 hp jet outboard, mostly for river fishing if this makes a difference. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Hello all. I am putting a fishing boat together and have been looking at fishfinders. I am looking at the Garmin 300C, but I really have not used one ever and am owndering on anyones opinions about fishfinders. What make do you like or dislike? Are there certain features that one wouldnt want to be with out? I am using a jon boat hull and have put in a console and will outfit with a 40 hp jet outboard, mostly for river fishing if this makes a difference. Any and all comments welcome. Thanks.
I would definitely get one with a "GPS marker" feature (if you can stomach the extra cash they cost). You can mark and save "hotspots" and have no trouble finding them again. Using depth and landmark features proves to be difficult as being 20-30 feet off sometimes make a big difference.

All units have the basic stuff like depth, tempurature etc. that are useful. Most models have a "wide angle" as well now as the technology keeps getting better.