Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Attention: Users of Wabamun Lake

The town council of Wabamun is requesting approval from the Alberta government to develop the lands south of the CN railway track in the town of Wabamun. This area is an important wetlands for Wabamun lake. It serves as an important bird nesting area and a major fish spawning area.

The vegetation in this area also serves to maintain the lake's water quality. In addition, the area is not suitable for development as there is no strong foundation to build on. The marshy area would require excessive gravel fill to create a suitable building area. This alteration to the lake's natural shoreline would further disrupt the lake.

Please sign this petition to help prevent the destruction of an important ecosystem!

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...f-wabamun.html
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 PM

Done. Never been but heard lots about the lake. If it is what you describe, I totally stand behind not developing.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 PM

they have wrecked enough of the lake already,don't need to wreck anymore.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Default Petition

Done, I definatly support retaining the condition of the lake. It seems to have recovered or in a favorable state of recovery from the oil spill incident a few years ago. The water condition and fishing is very good right now and should not be jeprodized.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Done. Thats just rediculous.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:38 PM

Done Did. Arsholes!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Done hope it helps
g
Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 PM

Done, I mean haven't the fish/wildlife suffered enough in this lake recently.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:18 PM

Done
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM

Done!!!! I fish that lake three times a year when I go up to Edmonchuck to visit my brother. Otherwise hogs like this one would be in the past..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hfish.jpg (56.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Done.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM

Done
Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 PM

If you search this topic a thread will show from February. There is a letter posted to Leagh Randle of the Village of Wabamun. He and other town members see this as a huge tax revenue opportunity. Forward your letters to him and members of the county of Parkland. They are the one that need to be convinced that conserving the North shore reed beds is important to the trophy quality of the fishery and bird life in the area.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 PM

Signed
Don't fish it but will stand behind protecting it anyday.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:57 PM

Found it and updated it some useful info for you who are interested.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM

done!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 PM

Default users of wabamun lake

Signed ,sealed and delivered...we have so little left to protect. Please help.Don't sit back and let someone else worry about it.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 AM

I'm in! (signer #96)

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Default Letters to the government

Duckbrat I read your post

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=wabamun

That is a great idea to send letters to Leagh Randle the town administrator that is pushing the project so hard. MLA Mel Knight is on side with going ahead with the project and using government funding.

Mel Knight's email is grandeprairie.smoky@assembly.ab.ca
Leagh Randle's is lrandle@wabamun.ca

Let's make our letters to the point and respectful, but make it clear that we are not in favour of the planned or any development to the lakeshore in Wabamun.

There is also a very nice set of walking trails slated for development!

Also about the petition, anyone who uses Wabamun Lake at all should sign it. We are hoping for 1000 signatures. Many Wabamun residents and business owners are oposed to development so we hope to have them sign as well.

Also, you have seen this area many times on the forum. It is where guys are out on the open water in the winter pulling out 15-20 pounders. They congregate is this area to spawn in the spring.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 AM

Default !!!

Done.
I would suggest everyone forward this link to everyone they know too!!!!!!!
Numbers count in these things. Cheers, gw
Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Singed it and really hope that it wont go through, that land needs to be there for the lake to keep on producing big sharks...slough sharks that is..
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 AM

Here is the Lakefront Development Plan:

http://www.wabamun.ca/life/documents/Web_Package.pdf

This looks like a nice project, but at what cost it is to the lake and wildlife? A large portion of the shoreline that they have earmarked for deveolpment is prime pike spawning habitat. It looks like there is far more concern for town revenue and tax base than there is for the lake itself.

Chris K
Old 08-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Signed and hope it helps
Old 08-11-2010, 11:45 AM

Done! Haven't fished there yet, but hope to in the future!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Done.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 PM

Default More signatures needed

Nice work to everyone who has signed the petition. Everyone who hasn't we need your help. Wabamun's monster pikes aren't there by magic, the shorelines and reed areas are spawning and feeding ground for these fish. Please sign and pass the word on!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 PM

Done and done. Hate to see this happen!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 AM

Done. As stated above, I hope this helps. I am really getting tired of developers greed.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM

You guys need more info or all the info before you comment. ddddd05 said there is no foundation there? does that mean he is a core analyst? And the destruction of an ecosystem does this make him a developmental scientist? Probably not.In that development plan did they suggest in any way that they would be removing reed beds or was dddd05 looking at a picture? How many miles of reed beds are on the Wabamun lake? How much shore line is populated by people compared to wild life? Who are you ddddd05? A rumor starter by the looks of things. The way ddddd05 explains it sounds like there going to throw in a cluster bomb and run.

I fish Wab too and agree the fish should be saved, saved by closing power plants beside them that cause major pollution. They closed one but there is still two more. If you like to listen to your music or turn on a light at night that's not going happen. This development (if it goes through) is a minor (if at all) impact compared to the the damage the three power plants,oh! and a derailed train has done and will do.

There are ways for man and wild to coincide we/they just have to take the necessary steps, cause mankind isn't getting smaller and the world is growing, its inevitable.

Can any body suggest how this could work for both ends? That kind of feedback could help and is more constructive.

Information is key, do your research before u vote on something that's a rumor and not fact.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Goebel View Post
You guys need more info or all the info before you comment. ddddd05 said there is no foundation there? does that mean he is a core analyst? And the destruction of an ecosystem does this make him a developmental scientist? Probably not.In that development plan did they suggest in any way that they would be removing reed beds or was dddd05 looking at a picture? How many miles of reed beds are on the Wabamun lake? How much shore line is populated by people compared to wild life? Who are you ddddd05? A rumor starter by the looks of things. The way ddddd05 explains it sounds like there going to throw in a cluster bomb and run.

I
Information is key, do your research before u vote on something that's a rumor and not fact.

How is this a rumor??? The 3D development model is sitting in the Village of Wabamun office.

So should we lay down our arms and surrender every time a developer tears up another piece of habitat?? From shoreline development, to pollution and over fishing in the past, Wabamun and many other of our fishing/hunting destinations are suffering from what is known as cumulative effects. Not one issue but many assaulting our wild lands.

Just a quick note: when asked about compensating for the natural area destroyed by the project, the developers and town official felt that by erecting a floating walkway into the wetland areas to the west would be a sufficient environmental mitigation. How is creating more traffic into sensitive wetlands a mitigation?? You talk about getting more info before venturing into this issue but seems to me the developers and town officials need to be more educated about their decisions and the effect they have on the thing that keeps bringing in the revenue....THE LAKE. Keep it healthy! No more shoreline developments before we have another Pigeon lake disaster. We all know how that shoreline has been treated and now the Pike are a dying species their because 90% of the shoreline (Major Pike Spawning habitat) has been cleared by the uneducated.

Is there anybody that could bring a copy of the petition to the Edmonton area Fishn' holes, Wholesale, or Fishing center stores it may pick up some steam on their counters. Just a thought??

Tags
wabamun