Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Me too, have a new Browning Maxus that needs to get broken in

Date/time/location?
Ken, never seen a browning maxus at work if I decide to go to the other quarter you are invited I will p.m you at that time. First A/O goose shoot may be a great idea a little meet greet and shoot maybe in order the more I think about it the more I want to do it.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1 View Post
X2,
If somebody is threatening me with a shovel I would take it as a threat to my life and react accordingly.

A friend of mine used to goose hunt close to a guys land that was pretty against hunting. (He had permission on the land he was hunting) When I asked him if he's worried about the guy coming and giving him hell, he said
"no, I'll be the one with the loaded shotgun"
So would that imply that he would have shot at someone? Not sure the hunting community needs that kind of heat. Bad PR. My response would be to unload the gun leave it in the blind and approach the indiviual. Push comes to shove I got two capable hands.I hope I never come across this situation.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The cooter View Post
Wish it was that easy. Toughest part of it all is my hunting party was really reved to go. I hate letting the boys down.
So don't let them down. Your politness is falling on deaf ears. It wont change his opinion of hunters and probably just make him do it again cause it worked. You didn't go on the hunt. You should still go!!
Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Banned

I've hunted crown land bordering on private property and I've stopped into the landowner's place to let him know that I'm back there. Most people that I've talked to respect the fact that I made the effort to come to see them when I didn't have to. Sometimes they've given me permission to hunt in a different quarter that they owned a little farther away. I think that being courteous with people, like you did, goes a long way.

I've never ran into a nut like you did but I have met landowners that weren't happy about me being there and they let me know it. I didn't take it personally and thanked them for letting me know how they felt, offered them a handshake and left. It's unfortunate when that happens but it certainly didn't stop me from hunting on the crown land.

I understand where you are coming from about being courteous towards people but if you get permission from a landowner to hunt his land I think that it is his responsibility to notify his own neighbours if he feels that it is necessary. In your case I think that I would have left it up to him if he wanted to inform his neighbours of what's going on on his land. You already did your thing by getting permission from him to hunt his land.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I've hunted crown land bordering on private property and I've stopped into the landowner's place to let him know that I'm back there. Most people that I've talked to respect the fact that I made the effort to come to see them when I didn't have to. Sometimes they've given me permission to hunt in a different quarter that they owned a little farther away. I think that being courteous with people, like you did, goes a long way.

I've never ran into a nut like you did but I have met landowners that weren't happy about me being there and they let me know it. I didn't take it personally and thanked them for letting me know how they felt, offered them a handshake and left. It's unfortunate when that happens but it certainly didn't stop me from hunting on the crown land.

I understand where you are coming from about being courteous towards people but if you get permission from a landowner to hunt his land I think that it is his responsibility to notify his own neighbours if he feels that it is necessary. In your case I think that I would have left it up to him if he wanted to inform his neighbours of what's going on on his land. You already did your thing by getting permission from him to hunt his land.
Thanks Dave, You maybe right with the whole land owner should be talking to him, Kinda blown my mind I've been hunting for 15 years and this is the first time I ever had this type of response from someone but hey it takes all types I guess. Really warming up to the idea of having a A/O annual goose hunt though
Old 09-08-2010, 07:14 PM

Why not speak to the legal land owner. Run the story past him/her and if they say hunt HUNT!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Why not speak to the legal land owner. Run the story past him/her and if they say hunt HUNT!
Not sure he needs to be dragged onto it. Not really his problem. He could just as easy turn around and close his property and I may not be able to hunt his other quarters.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 PM

Well, if you decide to have the A.O. shoot I'd love to be one of the 100 if it's between the 14th and 28th of Sept.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Well, if you decide to have the A.O. shoot I'd love to be one of the 100 if it's between the 14th and 28th of Sept.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM

with an idiot like that i would rather beg for forgiveness than ask him for permission. Sometimes better off to keep things to yer self . if he wanted to know who was out there he can drive or walk his hillbilly ass down there to meet ya. its a dam shame some land owners work this way and i totally agree with the fact that you let him know you would be doing some hunting. i am a landowner myself and i live right along a river. Last fall a group of americans wanted to hunt ducks and geese behind the house. They didnt ask permission and there hunt was ended early. we had horses that were less than 100 yards away when they started shooting at 5 a.m. had they asked i would have given them go ahead to hunt. You did the right thing. at the end of the day you will know that his land wont be the be all and end all of bird hunting.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:32 AM

i would obviously check with the land owner about an AO goose hunt before going ahead....allowing you and a couple of buddies on is one thing....allowing you and 30 AO forum member s may be another....but if he is cool with it, i say go for it.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 PM

Don't worry about the noise bothering the horses. I crack a whip off of some mine and suprisingly the noise doesn't seem to bother them. I also store my bench in the barn and the horses will often stay within 100 yds behind me when I'm shooting.