Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Pepperoni comparison

Well, I am back into the sausage making this fall and am looking for a great pepperoni recipe or spice mix. The pepperoni I used to buy in Sylvan Lake was fantastic to say the least. Shop is now closed. Have any of you compared the spice mixes from CTR, Halford Hide, and B & P? I didn't particularly like the B & P mix as it was too salty. I don't want one which is too red or dark. The kind I used to buy was more pinky or cooper colored. It was not too dry (some recipes say to hang for 6 weeks) or too firm. I know, I know, I'm too picky. Any help out there? By the way, I found a Bratwurst recipe which is very, very tasty, actually better than the Brats I bought from the sausage maker who closed up. If interested, I will supply the recipe. BEL
Old 11-05-2007, 12:02 PM

Bel;
I would love to get a copy of that recepe. Do you think it would be good useing goose??

Dakota369
Old 11-05-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Not sure

You know I am not really sure but I see lots of guys using geese for pepperoni. I personally have not used geese for sausage making. Should I email the recipe to you or post it here? BEL
Old 11-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Gone Hunting

I am willing to help out with the "comparison" part of your delema. I will bring you a "supplamental antlerless white-tail" and you can make pepperoni out of it with a variety of spice combinations. Then we will get some "pops" and try each one of them out. Next morning we may not remember which was the best but some of it is bound to be good.

Robin in Rocky
Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 PM

BEL
do you use pork or beef when you grind? Last year i used beef when i made my sausage but the other day somebody told me i should use pork .

Sorry to change the topic a bit just wondering people thoughts along with good recipes
Old 11-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Combo

Chuck, I use about 30% pork and the rest beef or venison. It depends on the type you are making. BEL