Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 AM

Default 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Looking at purchasing a 08 FJ now that they have colors that don't make it look like a Tonka toy.

Toyota originally targeted the 25 year olds...I guess they figured out the 50+ actually have the money so they better offer a more conservative list....or maybe I'm just old.....

Anyone out there have one? Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:04 AM

I didn't buy it only because of smaller back doors and since I have a little family, it doesn't suit me well. I end up buying Toyota Rav4. FJ could be a good second car but not a primary car for a family, just my opinion.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:09 AM

I hear you Shekaree,

I only have dogs, no kids, so the door issue does not effect me.

I agree, getting little ones or car seats into the rear of an FJ would be a problem.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:13 AM

a couple of guys and one gal have them in our 4x4 club there not to bad of a off road truck if you want to use it for hunting does real good in the easyer stuff (being that there all stock ) when the holes get deep they have a problem the young lady is putting a 4.5inch lift in hers and 35" tires that should make one heck of a difference but other than that my buddies love theres
Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM

they have a great drive to them...but one hell of a blind spot....

a lift kit and some bigger tires do make all the difference that is for sure.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:36 PM

I almost bought an '07, untill Toyota tried to rape me on my trade in.

They drive like a tank and should prove to be extremely reliable in the long run. I'm not a pick up truck guy, I've always preferred the smaller SUV's and Jeep's... I drive a 1 ton daily at work and absolutely hate driving around town, or scouting in it.

Stock they are pretty decent- lots of neat features and easy to clean the interior. But, I would swap out the tires right from the get-go, and look into a 2.5" lift kit.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Fj Comments

Thanks for the input thus far...keep it coming!

Nice to hear from some users (just what I expected from this forum, guys and gals who been there, done that).

I agree with the tires, I intend on swapping them out for decent rubber and buying separate rims for each set.

Took one for a drive (city only) and I really liked the ride (manual tranny).

Not too keen on the lift kit though, garage entry height issues, the standard 17" tires and roof rack only leave me about 3 inches to spare getting it in the house. And I learned (the hard way) to get out and check the depth of puddles and rivers before crossing.

Not really into the deep stuff 4x4, just want to most of the way back there for hunting/fishing etc. Not adverse to getting out and walking, also want to get back if the snow falls while I'm out at the end of the road or on a cutline at the end of the road. From what you have said here the FJ seems to support this kind of use. I figure with a roof rack and winch kit it will support transport of my pontoon boat for fishing and hunting just fine.

I'm driving an 05 Tacoma Double Cab long box now, but her majesty says I should get an SUV, closed in, no tarping for rain etc. Up til now none of them attracted me, too much soccer mom support, and the sticker shock, not good for an old guys heart beat.

Anyway as I said before, keep the comments coming. It's always better to hear from those with no vested interest in taking my money.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 03:10 PM

having test driven both...the fj stock does not compare with the tacoma stock...but it does make for a good, tough little SUV
Old 11-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Gone Hunting

I was a Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser fanatic before converting to Jeeps. So when Toyota introduced the new Toyota FJ Cruiser this spring I was looking at them hard as we needed a new 4wd to replace my wife's Dodge Durango.
I found it to be a solid unit with one exception, which eventually led me in a different direction. My goal was to find a small 4wd , built tough, to be my wife's 4wd for many years to come, I was fairly sure the new FJ Cruiser was just what we needed for family transportation. My only doubt or complaint was the independent front suspenson. I have a hate on for these car suspensions not being tough enough for 4wd use. Truthfully my goal was not a hardcore 4x4, but I wanted something tough enough to take the abuse for many years as there are serious doubts as to my long term prognosis. Anyhow, because of my concerns about the IFS on the FJ Cruiser I chose to steer my wife towards the 2007 Jeep 4 door Unlimited with the full Live Axle front suspension. I have no doubt the Toyota FJ is a good product but I decided the inherent weakness of IFS was too much of a risk to leave my wife stuck with long term.

Our choice was the 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4 door Unlimited, with no lift kit I swapped to a set of 265x16 Cooper Discoverer SST tires that measure out to 32" tall 10" wide on stock rims.
--Ken

Last edited by VerySavage; 11-04-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 PM

My buddy has one that is stock and he goes everywhere with it (hes a bird hunter). Has even had it so deep in the river it started to flood on the inside but it kept on going. The nice thing about those is all the electrical stuff is water tight so you could sink the truck and it wouldnt hurt any of the electrical components.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:42 PM

Ken you got a picture of your wifes right? I would love to see one of them FJ's with a set of mudders on there.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 PM

Default FJ Comments

Thanks very much for the input Ken. You gotta know that a man knows what he is about when he includes a picture of his experience.

I've followed your posts on other subjects and respect your opinion on 4x4s based on your obvious experience, I have looked at Jeep over the years myself, but I still feel the sting from when they became an AMC product and went (in my humble opinion) downhill on reliability. If they have come back good for them.

But I am a lifelongToyota fan, if I buy the FJ it will be my fourth Toyota, and none have every left me at the side of the road. But then I beleive most products will do fine if you do the maintenance and take care of them.

Good luck with the battle, soldier on!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM

A buddy at work has an FJ, and he's taken it on every dirt road he can find to put it through the paces. No hard-core off-roading though.

He's impressed by how well sealed it is too. No dust inside - no matter how dusty a road he's on.

He loves his - the only problem he's had is in getting parts for it. I think he's been waiting over 6 months for a new windshield and longer for a tail-light.

And Ken - thanks for the thorough review. I'm looking for a new SUV for my lady as well, and you've just convinced me to get her to check out the Jeep Wrangler 4 door Limited!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 PM

Default FJ Comments

Thanks Thumper,

On the Toyota FJ site one of the Interior Features reads:

Air Conditioning, Cabin Air Filter, Rear Seat Heater Ducts

I guess that would keep the dust out as well. Good innovation. I don't know if anyone else does this.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:37 PM

my mazda 3 sport has them
Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Tacoma Double cab

How do you like your Tacoma Sputnik? I've been lusting after them, but I am addicted to no car payments, and truthfully, my 1991 Toyota 4x4 extracab works too good. However, taking the kids hunting this weekend, illustrates that I could use a little more space!
Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Red face

I have seen a few FJ Cruisers slowly being transformed into offroad type Landcruisers up here in Grande Prairie area, so hopefully I can someday see how well they work offroad. This photo is my Jeep in contrast to the photo of the stock JK Wrangler 4 door (photo posted earlier on this topic) we bought for my wife.

--Ken
Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 AM

Default My Tacoma

AB2506,

Truthfully AB, I love my Tacoma. Lots of room in the double cab and the long box allows me to carry pretty much what I want. Attached is picture of it with my pontoon boat on board, granted not a very good shot.

As stated before I do not do a lot of off roading, but the Tacoma definately has the horsepower to get there. I've been very happy with the performance. I looked at the 2004 Tacoma but they were not big enough inside for my ever widening rear end and I was going to get a Tundra, but when the 2005 changes came I was all over the Tacoma.

The service I get at the Country Hills Toyota dealership in Calgary is second to none.

I too am car payment shy, but sometimes you just gotta lay out the cash to be comfortable.

This time the better half is driving the change to an SUV type vehicle and as long as I can get my boat on the roof and a moose in the back....I'm happy to keep her happy!

Besides how often is it your wife TELLS you to go out and buy a new 4x4. I'm getting while the getting is good, but I did agree as long as she agreed I need a winch too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5400.JPG (188.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 11-05-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Fj

We have had a fj for about 9 months now drives great it has a 3 inche lift 35"
tires grill guard bumper and 12000 lb winch we found it to be real hard on gas
about 17 mpg driving it nicely fuel tank is to small and the wind sheild stands to straight up and down and every pebble that gets near it cracks it
Old 11-05-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Jeep

That is one heck of a nice ride u got there Ken.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM

Default FJ Comments

Hey Fickell, thanks for the input.

Do you think one of those hood deflectors would do anything to protect the windshield.

I drive the Deerfoot everyday, so I know what can happen to the glass!

I never thought of the straight windsheild, but I guess it would pick up the rocks pretty good.

Oh well, there has to be some drawback.

Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:18 PM

Default FJ

Ours has the wind deflector still bad just put on stock sized winter toyo tires on today we will see if it changes the fuel milage
Old 11-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Gone Hunting

I have my 2007 FJ since April 2006 It has 32000 km and I love it. It is auto and C package with all the gages on dashboard. For hunting I am using 16 inch rims from my Tundra 2003 and they are interchangeable with BF Goodrich Mud and Snow Tires. First time out I damaged running board so I put those bolted to the frame. 100 km/hr on gravel no problem with active traction control than rear diff. lock if you get to deep... Go to toyota.com and see how it is built from ground up...
Don't put extra stock skid plate on front ..grubs to mud in reverse. Windshield is steep so is in Jeep or Hummer..still have original with crack across.
Andrew
Old 11-05-2007, 11:17 PM

Default FJ Comments

Thanks Andrzej,

So far the majority of the comments have been positive. So I put the sign in the window of the Tacoma today and posted the for sale on this forum under buy & sell.

Soon as the Tacoma is gone, I'll be out there in my new FJ.

My plan is to go with the basic FJ and add a roof rack, winch, and Nokian Hakkapalita LT tires (studded) for winter. I'll look for some decent truck rubber for the summer and fall season next spring.

I looked at what you get with the "packages" and nothing really jumps out at me that I can't buy after market, or from Toyota later if I want. Not really into the "dress up" stuff like gauges and mirror lights.

If all goes well I may even get out moose hunting in it this year at least once.

Wish me luck, see you in the weeds!