Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Default Fly tying supplies??

So I live up in Slave Lake and there's only 1 place to get flies and that's Canadian Tire. Not much selection and damn crazy expensive.

I don't hunt, so getting; Deer, Elk, Mule....etc.... is tuff.

I did get a kit from a Fishing and Hunting store back in Ontario (LeBaron) but I'm running out of supplies and I'm finding that I need/want more and different stuff.

So where do you guys get your fly tying supplies??

Janns(online) seems to have a good selection but are there any other good online Canadian Fly Tying Supply shops???

Thanks all!!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 AM

I buy most of my stuff at the Fishin Hole, some from Bass Pro, and the rest from FishTales Fly Shop.

The Fishin Hole is always that first place I look if I'm looking for something particular. Even if I can't find exactly what I want, I can often find a good substitute. You can order from their website, and they're one of the few places around that will still do C.O.D. (very handy if you don't like to use your credit card online , or don't have one) for (I think) an $8 fee. They used give you a little credit, which they apply to your next online order. You might like to see if they still do that.

I only ever buy from Bass Pro if I'm browsing and I see something interesting. I have a hard time actually finding what I want there. You can order from their website as well.

I go to FishTales (http://www.fishtalesflyshop.com/) when I'm looking for something a little unusual or really high-end. They do online sales, but a lot of the interesting stuff that they've got in the store isn't in their online store.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslack View Post
So I live up in Slave Lake and there's only 1 place to get flies and that's Canadian Tire. Not much selection and damn crazy expensive.

I don't hunt, so getting; Deer, Elk, Mule....etc.... is tuff.

I did get a kit from a Fishing and Hunting store back in Ontario (LeBaron) but I'm running out of supplies and I'm finding that I need/want more and different stuff.

So where do you guys get your fly tying supplies??

Janns(online) seems to have a good selection but are there any other good online Canadian Fly Tying Supply shops???

Thanks all!!

The Fishin Hole would be your closest store.

BTW: Where do you flyfish around Slave Lake?

I sometimes walk into Lily Lake for brookies, and fish the Martin and Oilmans creeks for grayling.

I head south of town towards Swan Hills for grayling and Athabasca rainbows.

I am going to try pike on a rod next year in slave.

One other question. What is like dealing with LeBarons? They handle a few odd ball hunting items not found in these parts.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the replies!!

I'll be checking out some online stores and put up a Winter order.

Greylynx

I fish pretty much everywhere. Swan Hills, Rockies, Martin Hills. Still water I'm out in the Swan Hills aswell as the Athabasca Area.

Not much for fly fishing supplies up here. Though I did find foam sheets and different colored thread at Walmart yesterday. Woohoo!!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:20 AM

Oh, another source for great stuff is other people I've purchased "used" supplies off of Kijiji and off of a fellow AOFer (Weedy1). Weedy1 went way out of his way for me: packaging everything up, and shipping it via Greyhound for me (which is the cheapest) from Edmonton to Calgary.

Buying from other people isn't just economical, I've found some really interesting items in those big lots of stuff. Some of it leaves me scratching my head, and sometimes I wind up with way too much of something (which I've got all packaged up to send to PHWFFC . . . just have to get it in the mail).

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM

Try Southbow Fly. Those guys breathe fly tying. Great assortment for trout, steelhead, sal****er, and Pike 403 873 0744
Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM

Looks like online is my best bet.

I have been tying up some foam Bee and Grasshopper patterns recently. They turned out ok. A bit of tweeking on the next ones .

Again thanks for your feedback guys.