Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 PM

Default Climber Treestand setup

I'm entering the world of treestand hunting! I picked up a summit viper, seems to work great, I can't wait to hunt with it. Just wondering how you guys set up in the tree as far as bringing up your accessories.
I was thinking of bringing up a screw in step to hang my pack on or i've read you can get pouches for your stand?

Also what height is best?
Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 06:36 AM

Default Climber Treestand setup

I usually use a small rope to hoist my gear up, just hold or tie the rope to the stand as you climb. As far as the proper height on a nice calm day I'll go up to 25-30'. I guess it depend's on what you feel comfortable with. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Talking Climber info

I have a Summit Titan.

I use a hunters safety system vest and a summit climbing rope system.

As you climb you keep moving the climbing rope up as you go so you are attached at all times, I feel this is the safest way to climb up and down securely.
Once I'm at hunting height i pull up my Badlands monster fanny pack which I had tied to the end of my climbing rope.

Also before I go up I attach a small rope to my bow and leave the slack on the ground and attach the other end to my front rail.

One of the best investments you can buy yourself is the HOOYEYMAN extend able saw which has a telescopic handle and lets you reach up and saw limbs above you easily as you climb. Also you can cut shooting lanes with it from the ground before climbing and once in the tree!!

Once at my height I attach the strap (from holding the 2 climber pieces together) around the tree and secure it. Then I pull the backpack straps tight so there is barely any slack between the top half of the climber and the bottom.
Then I take my feet out of the stirrups once secure.
I screw in a hook style hanger and hang my pack on it to one side and then I screw in a Primos bow hanger to hang my bow from.
Then I pull up my bow and nock an arrow and set it at the ready.

I follow the exact procedure every time cause this way I know how long it will take me to get set up time wise.

Height depends on the tree and what I am hunting.
Usually at least 15-25 feet

Hope this helps guide you better.

Last edited by DNORTHERNSNIPER; 10-05-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Thanks, that helps a lot! I'm heading out this weekend, spend some time in the stand and see what happens.'i would think a headlamp would be handy for climbing in the dark.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 PM

Default have you tried ladder stands

how long does it take you guys to get up in at tree with the climbng tree stand. i use ladder stands and like'm
Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter View Post
how long does it take you guys to get up in at tree with the climbng tree stand. i use ladder stands and like'm
I go up about 18' in my current location and it only takes me a couple of minutes to go up/set up quietly. Not much longer than climbing a ladder really.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Couple of minutes to get up.

From the time I start to climb it only takes me a couple of minutes to get to the 12-15 foot mark which is where I normally stop.

For me it takes longer to get the stand set-up for the climb. I take my time as the the stand is noisy if the two level hit together or if the cable hit the stand.

I love the flexability of the climber though.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM

What kind of tree is suitable for a climber? Dead straight, fairly straight? Can you can climb over a branch?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
What kind of tree is suitable for a climber? Dead straight, fairly straight? Can you can climb over a branch?
Straight as possible, Steve. Nothing worse than being on an uneven platform. All of our stands are placed in aspens as that's all that is avaliable. Pine and spruce would be better suited for perminant stands.

How high you go depends on the tree, the situation and your comfort level above ground. A 10"-12" trunk diameter is a safe one. Also, bring a decent handheld pruning saw with you as it will make your asscent far easier.

Good luck, and any other questions, just ask.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Straight as possible, Steve. Nothing worse than being on an uneven platform. All of our stands are placed in aspens as that's all that is avaliable. Pine and spruce would be better suited for perminant stands.

How high you go depends on the tree, the situation and your comfort level above ground. A 10"-12" trunk diameter is a safe one. Also, bring a decent handheld pruning saw with you as it will make your asscent far easier.

Good luck, and any other questions, just ask.
Thx Tree, I run about 8 regular chain on stands and a few permanent. But like the idea of prepping a bunch of trees preseason for a climber to really keep a guys options open, especially on crown land where I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a stand up over the weekend. What brand are you running?

Thc
Old 10-19-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Thx Tree, I run about 8 regular chain on stands and a few permanent. But like the idea of prepping a bunch of trees preseason for a climber to really keep a guys options open, especially on crown land where I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a stand up over the weekend. What brand are you running?

Thc
We're just running a bunch of 'Baby Kongs', Steve.

We always prep stand sites as a twosome. Once the stand is set in place, one guy gets up into it, and the other begins clearing lanes based on his direction. Where I'll be sitting in the morning is a stand setup that took us over three hours to get perfect.

Doing such prep work in the off season is vital if you are working climbers on crown land. There is an advantage to being able to be both versitile and mobile during the rut. Having a number of potential sites ready in advance is obviously a great idea where you either cannot or will not leave a semi permanent stand behind.